p. Striata male lacks the minerals??

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi everyone! My fiance and i bought a female p. Striata for our male and after feeding them up, we paired them. Now, at first he started drumming and managed to lure her out and he 'sort of' had a go at mating with her. She was very calm and receptive and looked friendly, but he just couldnt manage it :confused: he went about it all wrong, he couldnt get his hooks into her fangs and was more on top of her than underneath, with his palps way to high. I took him out when i went to bed then put him in again just now (last time was 2 days ago) he started again with the drumming but same old story :( she more or less backed him into a corner this time and when he was fumbling and hesitating she lunged at him but i got a cricket tub lid in front of her, i took him out now and hes in a cricket tub drummin away on and on poor lil guy. She does look huge next to him but they are both mature so i dont know what the problem is. he made a sperm web a week ago too and always was drumming to my formosa. Umm and advice or similar experiences?? Thanks :eek:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
He doesn't have hooks.

I'd keep trying. He might get it right eventually. If he doesn't, then hey, at least he won't be passing his inadequacies on to any offspring.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pokies are very quick with an insertion, its often missed and doesnt require both emboli to be inserted.
If your female was originally receptive, but has now changed and inbetween this he has created a sperm web I'd say he got an insertion.
I kept my pair together for over a month.

Is your male fresh? Is he up for sale?

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i got a singapore blue from round the corner from you earlier poxicator. Cold blooded in rainham. Had it up for 95 but i got it for 60 :D umm he was mature when i bought him about 6 months ago so anytime now im expecting him to dry up, thats why i just got a female quick before its too late. Thanks for the replies will keep trying and he hasnt even got the emboli under her yet :( or made another sperm web. I wouldnt sell him, hes the one that nearly had a much bigger enclosure during a rehouse.....the whole bathroom lol. He teleported behind a cabinet.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You've kept a MM Singapore Blue for 6 months? Ive often found they die within 3 months.
I have a female that I wish to try again but your boy would have to be flighty as the females are notorious for eating the males.
Are you absolutely sure he didnt get an insertion? These don't tend to hang around with the insertions, its often in and out before you see a thing. Keep them shark tanked or better still try what I do, put both the male and females enclosures in a larger enclosure and leave them together for a week or so.
I have a sac of P. striata at mo, reached the 7 week stage today so I may pull it today.

Love the tag, "smell my cheese" :)

I often visit Cold Blooded late on Sunday, predictably Paul refers to me as Spider Pete :)