P. striata and the adrenalin rush

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
lol, i just got my new P. striata and i slowly open her vial(she was wrapped in tissue with her molt), i was doing all this inside a large tall kritter keeper(not to stop them from running away but to give me a head start basicaly and a chance to catch her idf she decided to bolt). so i gently pulled out the tissue with a pair of hemos and slow opened it, i saw a leg poking out!!! (drum roll), i open it more there she is menacingly glaring with those beady eyes of death! inviting me to have my hand paralyzed and in pain for several days(soon the fear and adreniline began to creep up my spine), i delicatly prodded her abdomen with a small wooden dowel, big mistake, in a busrt of speed that looked like a mix of teleporting and blinking across the container, i just barley got her into a small peanutbutter jar and quckliy negoiated the lid on. whew(taking a moment to smoke a cig to calm my nerves). for the next hour i tried to get her to leave the dang jar and get into the medium kritter keeper on its side, mind you i was doing all this through the little lid on the large kritter keeper(with the other medium one inside with the jar, the spider and my hand!), but she refused and clung to the top when ever i tipeed it(typical aboreals lol)after getting frustrated i decided to do what i once heard scott say, open the conatiner its in and let it come out on its own in its cage, simple as that about 2 minutes later she walked out into her new home! as soon as my hand neared the cage door she had another busrt of speed but was stopped short by transparent top of her enclosure just as i snapped the door shut! what a rush i swear i thought i was gonna have a frickinn heart attack,lol, and i thought H. maculata was fast! she 's doing fine now and already has found a spot she likes and has begun to build a tube web(i only got her yesterday!), an awesome T and definetly a showpeice in my collection, ok i'm done ranting to you all except, if your new in the hobby and your considering a pokie make sure you are well prepared(slings are'nt so bad), ok i'm done boring you--Jeff;P =D ;P =D ;P

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congradulations and I KNow all about heart attacks like that. LOL.
With our little orange demon b**ch I know Just how you felt.
I couldn't help giggling though reading your post because once the spider is safe and and the fingers are safe and all is well you CAN giggle.

Mini heart attacks waiting to happen. LOL

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
ok i'm done boring you
Now that wasn't boring at all! When my 1" P. murinus escaped the other day I thought for sure I was just gonna keel over from the rush of adrenaline.
Like your Pokie, this spider also made another mad dash for freedom after I returned her to her container. This was the first time I'd actually seen her out of her burrow and quite frankly, I wasn't expecting her to be out that time either. That's the LAST time I open the lid without checking to be sure where the spider is.

Leanne

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah... i used to think pokie slings were fast and fun.... then i got 2 Pterinochilus sp. slings and i can't keep up w/ them!
they attack anything that opens their enclosure instantly.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know what you mean about pokies being fast, you should have seen me trying to move my 7" female P. regalis to a new enclosure! It took me about 2 hours, I would work at it for awhile to no avail, then take a 5 minute break to let my heart rate slow down!! She's finally home and comfortable now!

Andy