P. silvestrii weird behavior

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay so it was feeding time here at the abyss zoo and after realizing I have a pet mouse now because my snake is not in her tank I decided to feed the newcomers. I got this Paruroctonus silvestrii from one of the SCABIES' hunts (thanks Griffin) and as I saw picked him up (in a container) he jumped!!!I would say about 2 inches and some change. I was amazed and then like if things couldn't get any more interesting he managed to do another hop and tag my finger that was barely holding the top of the container. The container is like a little mini fish bowl. Okay now for the real interesting part. The scorpion had his telson pointed at me instead of the usaual defense pose. It was more of a recline tail pointed at an angle towards me type of thing. As soon as I moved it squirted venom at me launching it out the littel fish bowl container and about 7 inches to my arm. I wouldn't have believed if my neighbor hadn't come into the room a few minutes before the incident and confirmed it. Now after getting tagged I'm sure that would have definatly hurt my eyes. The pain was def. more painful than a bee sting but died out almost immediatly followed my minor discomfort and no swelling of the area.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very odd...cant say I've ever seen a scorpion jump. I have witnessed venom spraying a few times, but it is very rare.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know if i can catch the spraying on video but the jumping it seem to doing a lot of. It's not a very high jump and honestly I think i only six legs actually leave the floor. I'll try to see what I can record.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a S maurus palmatus that throws threat poses so hard it partially lifts up of the ground. I wouldn't call it jumping, though. perhaps this is what you are seeing?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen what your talking about. But no this was a definate jump. I had an eye witness. I actually found out the cause. Turns out my lil bro put in a roach a bit to big for it's size and it dug it self right under the scorp. It must have felt the vibrations underneath it and stress it out. Today i found the roach dead not even a bite.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can believe it..after all nature has one surprise after another. I once came across a legless lizard and for the first time witnessed one of these jumping at me...and without legs!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Funny,

like Bayushi, my scorpio maurus also "jumps around" sometimes when I clean his enlcosure of when she gets scared.....only seen it once.
It looks like jumping, but I could not tell if all legs where removed from the ground.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool jumping legless lizard. I didn't even know they had the muscular force to jump.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It shouldn't be that hard to get the "jumping" on film if it so apt to do it. Simply set yourself up with a very low camera angle and provoke it. I would be very interested in seeing this. As for the spraying, it has been my experience that even those scorpions that are supposed to be spraying (P.trans) it is very difficult to get them to do it for the camera.

Cheers,
Dave

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I suppose my main problem right now is the fact that my parents took all the cameras to their Mexico trip. I haven't provoked it to jump since then but I'll see if I can get him to do it again.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I suppose my main problem right now is the fact that my parents took all the cameras to their Mexico trip.
I'm sorry -- you let them go to Mexico without you? How did that happen?

Well, with any luck you can get some good footage. If you can film it a few times, the odds of getting an off-ground frame, even without a high-speed camera is decent.

Cheers,
Dave

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have any vacation time at my job...YET. Defiantly going next year to get me some C. suffusus.(?). Might go hunting with Aztek