P. scrofa

Lolita

Arachnoknight
yeah i figured they wouldn't be worth too much i just rescued a rose hair that turns out is actually a P. scrofa just didn't know too much about them

web eviction

Arachnolord
Lol it may be worth a little more, I bought one at a lps once I was a newb dude guaranteed it was female but I knew better hence the giant hooks he had lol but he was beautiful and for ten bucks I couldn't say no, he lived one full year before he passed the only T I never named.....

Lolita

Arachnoknight
yeah i havent sexed a molt but i sexed ventrally and it looks pretty she like to me but yeah here is a pic of her i thought she was a RCF rosie but the people at my local club meeting told me otherwise (that was also when i learned to sex T's yay)

Attachments

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually you just rescued a G. rosea that turns out to be a G. rosea.

How big is it?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup def G. rosea.....still a nice lookin T tho...congrats!

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Actually you just rescued a G. rosea that turns out to be a G. rosea.

How big is it?
maybe 4 inches if that it's mirror patch is shaped different than my rosie though and it looks nothing like the RCF rosie my friend brought is there an inbetween normal rosie and RCF rosie?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe 4 inches if that it's mirror patch is shaped different than my rosie though and it looks nothing like the RCF rosie my friend brought is there an inbetween normal rosie and RCF rosie?
Well that's a normal Grammostola mirror patch. Post a pic of your other rosea, maybe it's really a P. scrofa lol.

It looks nothing like an Rcf because it isn't. Google up some images and you'll see.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Well that's a normal Grammostola mirror patch. Post a pic of your other rosea, maybe it's really a P. scrofa lol.

It looks nothing like an Rcf because it isn't. Google up some images and you'll see.
i know it's not a RCF but it's a lot pinker than my normal one which is why i'm asking if theres an inbetween of a RCF and a normal and i kinda doubt my normal is a P scrofa because she's huge and aren't P scrofas supposed to be smaller? anyways heres a pic of marilyn my rosie

Attachments

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mirror patch looks the same to me, but yeah that's a rosea too. P. scrofa are a lot smaller and look a lot different.

I've come across a few different G. rosea. The two I have are a Normal and what I like to call an Orange Color Form. The normal looks just like your last pic and my OCF has the same colored carapace, but the hairs are brighter and look orange.

All the ones that I have come across personally, in stores etc., that look like your first pic have ended up molting into mature males. I've come across three like that. However, I have seen many pictures of females that look like that also. So it's just been my luck of coming across males I guess.

Both of my G. rosea have the brownish carapace with the pink sheen to it rather than the bright pink.

It could also be freshly molted, and that's why it looks like that, but definitely NOT P. scrofa.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
it's definitely not freshly molted i've had it a couple months now and the person i rescued it from had for four months before that so it's been that color for 6 months it's weird cause it's carapace looks coppery colored and the rest of it's hairs in person are like peach colored idk why is don't show up in the pictures but i thought it was pretty weird for it to be that colored since i've never seen a rose hair like it it could be a male since i havent sexed a molt but ventrally it does look female to me but if it does molt out male i still have my giant female so i could try my hand at breeding i guess you learn something new everyday

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I have a G. rosea similar in coloration. I also have 2 P. scrofa, which are half the size (and smoother) than your T.

It's a lovely specimen, but not a scrofa.

Congrats on your new baby!

Marga

Lolita

Arachnoknight
i don't think i've ever quite seen rosies like it maybe its like a 3rd color phase

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
whats a good price for an adult sexed female P scrofa?
If you go to a reptile expo,alot of importers have them any where from 8.00-15.00. Online a good price for an adult female is anywhere from 20.00-35.00.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
G. rosea color forms

G. rosea can be found in three main color forms. They are light, dark, and red.

Light-
Light grey body, tan/light brown seatae, and pink carapace.

Dark-
Dark grey body, orange/pink setae, and deep red carapace.

Red-
Brown body, orange setae, and copper carapace.

Typically though, G. rosea is refered to in two color forms, with the light and dark variants being lumped together as one cohesive "normal" form.
It appears that you have the dark form.

Here are some pics of my rosies-

Light form
light front.jpg

Dark form
dark front.jpg

Red form
red.jpg

Hope this clears things up :D

Lolita

Arachnoknight
hmm thats interesting cause i have my large female rosie and she has a brownish carapace

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
hmm thats interesting cause i have my large female rosie and she has a brownish carapace
Keep in mind that those are general guidlines. Colors may appear different due to various points in the molt cycles, age, and lighting.
Also some specimens may lie somewhere inbetween two of the main color forms.

You will notice that the first pic of the 'light form' appears to have a brown carapace as well, but here is the same spider under different lighting-

light top.jpg

Last edited:

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few more G. rosea pics for comparison/reference: