P. Sazimai slings are they fragile

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Last Tuesday I took receipt of a P Sazimai sling 1cm it was tiny and pretty lethargic but I assumed it was due to the post so put it in its enclosure and tried to feed it a few days later on a tiny baby bean weavil but it refused so I removed it. When I checked today it was dead. Did I do anything wrong here is the setup substrate is slightly moist same as I keep all my slings.
D2AF1B39-15AB-4C33-9067-78D015EE11F0.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
I have 7 tiny ones...all kept similarly (smaller condiment cup) and my sub is drier...half dry, half damp....mine are all very very good eaters....they don't seem to be all that fragile...typical NW terrestrial IMO.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I have 7 tiny ones...all kept similarly (smaller condiment cup) and my sub is drier...half dry, half damp....mine are all very very good eaters....they don't seem to be all that fragile...typical NW terrestrial IMO.
Probably just a weak sling then? I only received it last Tuesday so that has been 6 days and it’s dead

It’s actually smaller than 1cm closer to half a cm 5 mm

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostly

Arachnopeon
Sorry this happened to your sling. This really sucks.
I have two P. sazimai slings, I got them at around the same size (under 1 cm) over a year ago, now they're around 4cm. They were great eaters right from the start. I've always kept part of the substrate moist for them and never had any issues with them in any way except them being lightning fast during rehousing...
So you probably really just ended up with a fragile individual.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've heard of a number of people who have lost spiderlings of this species.

Dannica

Arachnosquire
They start out absolutely tiny, I thought @cold blood had given me empty cups of dirt;)

They don’t appear to be any more fragile than others I’ve experienced, ive been keeping them half damp half dry and feeding mealworm pieces.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
It must have had underlying issues then as it wouldn’t eat and didn’t have any speed at all very lethargic and slow moving.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
P. sazimai are quite the slow growers IME. I got my 3 slings around 7 months ago at 1/4'' which they're now between 3/4''-1'' on estimate. Then I recently got my 4th one as a freebie 2 months ago at 1/8''. This one was surprisingly a very great eater, skittish, and faster growing specimen than the other 3 I started with. It's around the same size as my first 3 now within 2 months. I legit thought I gotten another species by accident but the person I got it from was certain about what he given me and bred himself. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are faster growing specimens out there for this species.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I had already placed my order before checking on the Ts or I would have ordered another since there actually not fragile I must just have been unlucky here. Thanks for everyone’s advice

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Could be.

Yeah they start out life really small...actually some of the smaller slings I've raised.....1/8" probably at most.
I got 5 of these guys and was pretty amazed how tiny they were, definitely the smallest slings I've gotten.

None of my 5 have died yet thankfully, they don't seem fragile to me could be the odd one unfortunately.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got a 0.5cm sling as a freebie with my last order a little under 3 weeks ago, seems to be doing fine

Axolotl

Arachnopeon
I got two awhile back at 1/4" each, and both died within a month. I kept them the same as you, the same as my other slings. The retailer I got them from mentioned that in the large shipment they received, more than half were DOA. Perhaps something happened in transit that contributed to their demise?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I got two awhile back at 1/4" each, and both died within a month. I kept them the same as you, the same as my other slings. The retailer I got them from mentioned that in the large shipment they received, more than half were DOA. Perhaps something happened in transit that contributed to their demise?
I’m thinking it must be the transit that’s caused it as there supposed to be fast and I know sometimes they can be lethargic after delivery but this little one just never seemed to perk up and died 6 days later

Axolotl

Arachnopeon
I’m thinking it must be the transit that’s caused it as there supposed to be fast and I know sometimes they can be lethargic after delivery but this little one just never seemed to perk up and died 6 days later
Mine were lethargic as well. I'm not even sure they were eating. At that size it's so hard to tell.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I've had very, very few slings die but this species was one. I think I had too much moisture. Only a theory. 1/4 inch sling. Only time I've had slings die is with too much moisture; its easy to accidentally put in 4 drops of water instead of 3 in a small vial, and I think that's the mistake I made.