P. sazimai refusing to eat

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Hi!
I have a few concerns about my tiny 3i P. sazimai. It molted exactly a month ago, and a week later ate about 1-2 sections of an adult mealworm. I cut them up because it's afraid of everything that moves.

Anyway, it's been now 4 weeks since it ate anything, and because it ate only once since it molted it's definitely not in premolt. I offer about once a week either a cut up mealworm, or a tiny one with a crushed head. I've also tried live ones but with no luck. About twice a week I lightly spray the lid of the cup and let some drops drip down like I do with most of my tiny ones with which I've had no problems so far. Temperature in my room is normal..

Anyway, is this normal for the species or am I just being paranoid? All my other Ts eat regularly, and up until the molt, so did this one..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hi!
I have a few concerns about my tiny 3i P. sazimai. It molted exactly a month ago, and a week later ate about 1-2 sections of an adult mealworm. I cut them up because it's afraid of everything that moves.

Anyway, it's been now 4 weeks since it ate anything, and because it ate only once since it molted it's definitely not in premolt. I offer about once a week either a cut up mealworm, or a tiny one with a crushed head. I've also tried live ones but with no luck. About twice a week I lightly spray the lid of the cup and let some drops drip down like I do with most of my tiny ones with which I've had no problems so far. Temperature in my room is normal..

Anyway, is this normal for the species or am I just being paranoid? All my other Ts eat regularly, and up until the molt, so did this one..
I've only had one of this species, and it's roughly 4-5i. I had the same issue right around the same size as yours. Turned out that I was keeping it too dry. Once I started boosting the humidity, it ate everything I gave it. Now, to be fair, it's a very shy eater. I've never once seen a takedown, only the aftermath. That was another mistake I was making - I would wait around for the takedown, and by the time I gave up I think that it gave up as well. Drop in the food, close the lid, move on. Hopefully someone with more experience in this species will chime in.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I've only had one of this species, and it's roughly 4-5i. I had the same issue right around the same size as yours. Turned out that I was keeping it too dry. Once I started boosting the humidity, it ate everything I gave it.
I can give this a shot, because I do keep it a little bit on the dry side. How moist would you recommend?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can give this a shot, because I do keep it a little bit on the dry side. How moist would you recommend?
Not super moist at all. I'd say about as humid as a P. cam sling, if you've had those. Or as moist as a Lasiodora sling.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I think it helped. I gently flooded its enclosure ( so that the substrate would dampen a bit and not dry out completely, and a mealworm I crushed a day before vanished. Either a coincidence or really a humidity issue. Thanks!