P. sazimai question

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I'm reading that this species likes very moist substrate but that there are periods of dryness in their natural environment.

So would care of this species demand only slightly moist substrate or very "wet?"

jaycied

Arachnoknight
IME no species really requires WET substrate. I have two little sling P. sazimai and I keep them like the rest of my slings: substrate wrung out so that when you squeeze it it does not drip, and a water bowl, that I PERIODICALLY (not daily, maybe weekly) overflow a bit.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Depends. Are you talking about a sling (more delicate on that sense), an adult, or in general?

In general, juve/adults, are fine with the classic water dish and a bit here and then of moist substrate... just like a 'genic' + or -

boina

Lady of the mites
No, this species does not like very wet substrate. I gave mine a choice like I always do when I'm not exactly sure: Half of the enclosure moist (not wet! They don't live in a swamp!) and half dry. When she always stuck to the dry side I let the enclosure dry out with only overflowing the water dish. She thrives and molts without problems.

Edit: She's juvi, slings are different, of course, more moisture.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
As spiderlings through to juvenile stage I kept mine like I would keep Asian fossorial. Funny as they act like them too. Pet holes when young aha

As they grew I started to ease up on overflowing dish. I then kept just 1/4 corner at the dish moist but not saturated.

Yes they appreciate moisture so it should be an option. Though I dont believe they need to be kept moist.

Last edited: