P. Sazimai Overly Uricating hairs??

Kailique

Arachnopeon
So, My Pterinopelma Sazimai has been obsessively kicking hairs off her abdomen to the point she is bald and pink on her rear. This has been happening for about 3 months. Now usually i would think well this could be Pre-molt however her abdomen is not turning darker in which it does before a molt. She is lethargic and very defensive when i offer her food. I have not been handling her since i first saw a pink patch 3 months ago as to not stress her. But she is still kicking hairs?!

I rehoused her today, thinking perhaps it was something in her habitat. I Observed that her legs seem very limp and weakened. Did not notice any mites or nematodes/fungus/mold.

Her temps are 21 c night and 25 c day, i know she is a higher elevation T so are my temps wrong? If so or not what works for you? (P. Sazimai specific)

She is housed on about 3in of Eco earth substrate, she never burrows but will use a flower pot hide i put in her tank. Usually she is out and about, and still is. Has a Exo terra water dish with pebbles in it.

Any guesses or advice welcome as to what is upsetting her/making her unwell?

Will post pictures of her and enclosure once phone charges.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Well if handling was a regular practice prior to you noticing a bald spot your spider is probably stressed out from excessive handling. Regardless of you stopping when you see the patch. If you handled it at any time you have probably stressed it. I also feel three inches is unsuitable for any terrestrial t. And ditch the water dish pebbles because they serve no purpose. I would just leave your T alone for the most part and continue offering food on a regular basis until it eats or molts again.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My B.smithi begins to kick pretty much all her urticating hairs of before premolt is visible as a bla k patch. She lines the whole damn enclosure with them. This could be the case with your P.sazimai. They do this as an extra defense against predators while being vulnerable during a molt.
Sluggishness can also be a sign of impending molt.
I'm sure you know the general feeling of keepers on here about handling.
Pics will be welcome, of the spider and enclosure.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Thats a shame to hear this.

She may be stressed.

P. sazimai are burrowers and they like to dig. 3" of sub doesnt sound like nearly the right amount. What size is your specimen? The younger specimens of this sp prefer slightly more humidity and a slightly moist sub.

I have 2x 1.75" of these. Both have burrowed right to the bottom of their tubs and I have about 6" of sub in there.

Also as I'm sure you know already, Tarantulas are not for handling and in most cases it stresses them out or leads to injury.

Please post photos of enclosure setup and the specimen itself so we can hopefully help out more

Kailique

Arachnopeon
She is about 3 in diameter or a bit bigger, still a wee little gal. As for burrowing she has never dug anything and prefers to explore about. As for the pebbles in her dish i see no harm to it and it gives her spots to stand out of the water and functions to keep her book-lungs above it. Is there any actual harm concerning pebbles?

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yours is larger than mine so it could still do with one side moist sub. And as burrowers they will require deeper sub.

At 3" it would benefit from at leas 6.5" sub. It will prevent injury from falls too :)

Pros - Plenty floor space, loads of places to hide.
Cons- Needs more sub & moisture

Give that a try :)

Kailique

Arachnopeon
Usually i rotate where i spray, 1/4 the tank each time, so each spot has a bit of time to dry, Or should i have one moist side and one dry side? I will definatley add more substrates, thank you.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
overflow water dish and moisten that half, wait for it to dry out and move the waterdish to other corner of same side and repeat process to avoid anything growing under it.

No probs! Great T you have. I hope all goes well :)

Kailique

Arachnopeon
overflow water dish and moisten that half, wait for it to dry out and move the waterdish to other corner of same side and repeat process to avoid anything growing under it.

No probs! Great T you have. I hope all goes well :)
Will do! :D thanks again!