P. sazimai growth rate rant!

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
So, I have a P. sazimai spiderling. And by spiderling I mean the tiniest little ant you could imagine. I got this little bugger in September and it was a 2nd instar. Basically it looked like a tick haha :D

Anyway, let me unleash some frustration on you. Since September, this little thing molted only once. Why? I have no clue. (For comparison, on the same day I got an A. diversipes and a GBB, which were bigger to start with and both molted twice since then :D )

I've been feeding it like the rest, it always eats when I offer, and always eats big. Humidity and temperatures are fine. Don't get me wrong, this post is purely for ranting not for seeking advice, because I have no problems with the T. It just annoys me, that when it finally molted, it looked exactly the same. It doesn't look even for a milimeter larger :D It's like it's stuck at this size forever :D
Does anyone have the same frustration with the species? or any other in particular? :D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The molt frequency with this sp from sling to juvenile is weird.

I keep 2 sacmates and one is around .5" bigger than the other. They both had a long time between moults then all of a sudden the one that is bigger moulted and now had 2 moults within a couple months and the other is still not moulted. Strange indeed. Both are kept the same. Maybe it becomes more frequent after the first few molts?

I had a couple of 2i a while back and it took them forever to reach 2cm DLS:shifty:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I had a couple of 2i a while back and it took them forever to reach 2cm DLS:shifty:
I know right! They are gorgeous spiders but it takes them fricking ages to get some color.. Prepare for another rant in half a century if I get a male.. I only have the one and will be furious if it turns out to be male.. Because in my parts its next to impossible to get an adult ><

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I have a juvie female. Yeah they don't seem to grow especially fast and it takes them quite some time to start getting their adult coloration.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And here I thought they were pretty fast. Mine has molted twice in the three months I've had it, currently sitting at roughly 2"dls. I'd be questioning the species if it weren't for the coloration.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
And here I thought they were pretty fast. Mine has molted twice in the three months I've had it, currently sitting at roughly 2"dls. I'd be questioning the species if it weren't for the coloration.
Have you tried them from 2i - ? :p

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I have three and they are growing pretty good for terrestrials.
first two were bought at 3/4" second (from same sac) was gifted to me from a friend at 1.5" All are over 2.5" and near another molt.
#1 (3/4" on 01/12/16) molts; 03/09/16, 05/13/16, 07/25/16, 10/07/16
#2 (3/4" on 01/12/16) molts; 03/02/16, 05/08/16, 07/20/16, 09/14/16
#3 (1.5" on 07/03/16) molts; 08/16/16, 10/26/16

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
What are you feeding them? :eek: steroids? :D
You don't know how many people have asked me that same question....LOL
slings every 3-5 days, juveniles 7-10 days. adults 14-30 days Adult picky eaters get feed closer to 30 days to promote a good feeding response and are given a bigger prey item.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
(For comparison, on the same day I got an A. diversipes and a GBB, which were bigger to start with and both molted twice since then :D )
Your comparison is done poorly. They are different species as you know. If you had 10 of one species, and one was lagging, that would be a fair comparison.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Common and DIFFERENT hahaha. Perhaps I'm missing your point about them being common?
Oh sorry it was a grammatical error :D I was severely tired :D I was comparing IT to more common species :D I might be underestimating the popularity of P. sazimai, but here in my country it's rather exotic.. My point was just to compare it to some of more common species in the hobby, so people who are not familiar with P. sazimai could get the idea of how slowly it grows :D

Jeff23

Arachnolord
So, I have a P. sazimai spiderling. And by spiderling I mean the tiniest little ant you could imagine. I got this little bugger in September and it was a 2nd instar. Basically it looked like a tick haha :D

Anyway, let me unleash some frustration on you. Since September, this little thing molted only once. Why? I have no clue. (For comparison, on the same day I got an A. diversipes and a GBB, which were bigger to start with and both molted twice since then :D )

I've been feeding it like the rest, it always eats when I offer, and always eats big. Humidity and temperatures are fine. Don't get me wrong, this post is purely for ranting not for seeking advice, because I have no problems with the T. It just annoys me, that when it finally molted, it looked exactly the same. It doesn't look even for a milimeter larger :D It's like it's stuck at this size forever :D
Does anyone have the same frustration with the species? or any other in particular? :D
At least others get to see their P. sazimai. I have three slings and all of them are ghost T's. The crickets always disappear and I feed them multiple times per week. This thread now explains why I still can't find them in the small deli cups.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
At least others get to see their P. sazimai. I have three slings and all of them are ghost T's. The crickets always disappear and I feed them multiple times per week. This thread now explains why I still can't find them in the small deli cups.
Mine was a big time burrower at first but now at about 3 inches she's always out and about.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My point was just to compare it to some of more common species in the hobby, so people who are not familiar with P. sazimai could get the idea of how slowly it grows :D
AH, now I understand...makes a lot of sense :D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
P. sazimai are also very aggressive eaters but only when they're not even close to molting. Mine will stop eating way before a molt.