P. sazimai and P. irminia - good display Ts or pet holes?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I'll be visiting the OC Repticon on Sunday and I'm thinking about picking up a sling or two to add to my collection. The two species I'm leaning toward (at the moment) are P. sazimai (love those colors!) and P. irminia. I've never kept the sazimai before. I did have a juvenile irminia last spring (briefly) but lost her after a bad molt, before I really had a chance to get a feel for their temperament.

I'd love input from people who have kept these species - particularly if you've raised them from slings. Do they tend to spend most of their time hiding, or are they out in the open more often than not? Does this change significantly as they get older/bigger? I don't really want to invest time, money, and cage space in more "pet holes" - I've already had that with an African trap door spider, and my P. vittata and T. stirmi aren't much better - I almost never see them unless I go in after midnight.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
My Pterinopelma sazimai are always out. I have raised 4 from slings, all different sizes now, got my first about 3 years ago. The slings burrow but as they grow, they tend to be the classic terrestrial. The bigger they got the more they showed themselves. My Psalmopoeus irminia were quite the opposite, always reclusive. 98% of the time tucked away in their hides. They at least web more and grow much faster than Pterinopelma sazimai. P. irminia are also much faster and more defensive with a stronger bite (probably do to the fact they lack urticating setae).

As far as care goes, they aren't much different when slings. Both need deep moist substrate.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
My irminias have always been reclusive. They build those dirt curtains and I wouldn't see them for months. I haven't kept sazimai but I haven't heard of them being that reclusive.

I'd frankly choose P. cambridgei over P. irminia. Cambridgei are far less reclusive. Mine don't even bother webbing much.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
P.irminia are great Ts but you will hardly ever see them.. I have raised some that were visible from time to time at night but the majority are pretty reclusive.

The two that I'm raising right now are some of my most reclusive so far.. I haven't seen either one except for a leg or two in close to three months..

I love pet holes though so it doesn't bother me..

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Pterinopelma sazimai are always out. I have raised 4 from slings, all different sizes now, got my first about 3 years ago. The slings burrow but as they grow, they tend to be the classic terrestrial. The bigger they got the more they showed themselves. My Psalmopoeus irminia were quite the opposite, always reclusive. 98% of the time tucked away in their hides. They at least web more and grow much faster than Pterinopelma sazimai. P. irminia are also much faster and more defensive with a stronger bite (probably do to the fact they lack urticating setae).

As far as care goes, they aren't much different when slings. Both need deep moist substrate.
Thanks! I appreciate the input. I'm aware of the irminia's speed and stronger venom, but I figure if I can handle a Pokie, an irminia shouldn't be drastically different. (And by "handle" I just mean deal with routine feedings, cage maintenance, and rehousing - not actually "handling" the T!) :wideyed:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My irminias have always been reclusive. They build those dirt curtains and I wouldn't see them for months. I haven't kept sazimai but I haven't heard of them being that reclusive.

I'd frankly choose P. cambridgei over P. irminia. Cambridgei are far less reclusive. Mine don't even bother webbing much.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I really love the striking colors of the irmina, but I do want to actually be able to enjoy them. Of course, all that crazy webbing is pretty cool, too.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P.irminia are great Ts but you will hardly ever see them.. I have raised some that were visible from time to time at night but the majority are pretty reclusive.

The two that I'm raising right now are some of my most reclusive so far.. I haven't seen either one except for a leg or two in close to three months..

I love pet holes though so it doesn't bother me..
Thanks for the input! I'm not a big fan of pet holes, though I do have a few. My "excuse" for maintaining such a large collection is so I can use them in the classroom. It kind of sucks when I bring in all these cages - and the kids have nothing to look at but dirt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Let's put it this way. I didn't see my P. irminia from the time it was about 4" until it was a mature male. So yeah, pet hole... or, in this case, a pet cork tube.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Let's put it this way. I didn't see my P. irminia from the time it was about 4" until it was a mature male. So yeah, pet hole... or, in this case, a pet cork tube.
Good to know! Thanks!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My P. sazimai are small slings (about 1/2" when I got them) and I have had them for close to two months. I haven't seen them since the day they arrived. They are burrowing. But it has never been a closed burrow. They are eating regularly so they must be active late at night. I also have a small sling P. irminia that I never see but I have only had it for a couple weeks.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My irminia is out and about quite often. Maybe it's the enclosure setup, I gave her a vertically arranged piece of hollow log with multiple entry/exit points, and she apparently approves. She often hangs out near the top of the log, which forms an U-bend with two holes. When she doesn't appear for some time, I know she'll eventually emerge with a fresh new coat.