P. saz good for me?

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Hey peeps!

I am getting an A hentzi of this person tonight that is getting out of the hobby. They also have a 1.5" P saz for sale too. I really love the looks of them but have talked to folks who have them that say they can be a little on the crazy side. Is this mostly hair kicking, bites or bolting?
I would still label myself a noob but have 14 different species right now mainly brachypelma and Grammastola with some Eupalestrus, Aphonopelma and a tiny acanthoscurria.

Is this too much for a noob that has some experience rehousing and normal maintenance? What should I expect from this species?

I gotta meet them in 2 hours so I was hoping to hear from at least a few more experienced keepers on if this is doable!

Thanks

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Close enough
Just more threat postures

They aren't exactly equivalent. But if you keep your fingers away, you shouldn't have any issues.

It's not your first t so I think it would be good for you to have one. Good experience

Last edited by a moderator:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
@Goopyguy56 Thanks for the information! Still not sure but I still got some time!
You know you want to

It might give you a threat pose once in a while. It might be a little skittish. Other than that, I don't think you would have anything to write home about.

Last edited by a moderator:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Did you end up getting it? I will warn that they can be faster than the species you have so far (aside from possibly the genic, but my genic is too small for me to make a fair comparison).

They tend to be on the skittish side from my experience

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Never had a threat posture from a P. sazimai in person. From what I've seen and experienced is that they grow slow and are not the best eaters in terms of size of prey. They're not too hard to care for so you'll do fine on it's care.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Yeah... ended up getting the P saz. Kinda nervous about the speed but I just have to do my maintenance in the bathtub I guess. The guy has it on substrate that is a bit more damp than I keep my other t's on. I guess that is because they share the same habitat with Lasiodora species?

Any other husbandry advice? It just ate today and flipped its water dish upside down. I was thinking of giving it a day to settle down and then flip the dish.

Never had a threat posture from a P. sazimai in person. From what I've seen and experienced is that they grow slow and are not the best eaters in terms of size of prey. They're not too hard to care for so you'll do fine on it's care.
What size prey would you feed a 1.5" sling?

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
What size prey would you feed a 1.5" sling?
Depends on your specimen. I have 4 of them, which 3 of them are from the same sac and the 4th one was a freebie. The 3 I got together are not good eaters and will only touch smaller prey than them. The 4th one I've gotten is a really good eater and tackles just about anything. So it comes down to your specimen in the end, but it's just a wait and see if you want to know what kind of eater they are.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Depends on your specimen. I have 4 of them, which 3 of them are from the same sac and the 4th one was a freebie. The 3 I got together are not good eaters and will only touch smaller prey than them. The 4th one I've gotten is a really good eater and tackles just about anything. So it comes down to your specimen in the end, but it's just a wait and see if you want to know what kind of eater they are.
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up on that :)

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I obtain my Pterinopelma sazimai when it was a little thing (1/2" or smaller) and now it's getting close to 2". The only issue I ever had was during a rehousing. I underestimated it's quickness and accidently took out one of its legs while placing the terrarium cover back on. Since then it's regrown it back...I don't see it out and about that often. Luckily it's burrow is in a visible location and not in the middle. Now I'm just hoping it's a female (cause I love my blue).

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I have never kept inverts before but recently bought a baby CB centipede. As the postage was twice the price of the pedeling I decided to take the plunge and get a sling too. (I've kept and bred snakes for 30 years so not new to exotics). I chose a sazimai as the adult colour was gorgeous and I had never heard of them plus they were described as rarely available. The sling was advertised as 1cm.
It was very slow when it arrived, and moulted a week later. Since then feeding has been easy. It's happy taking prekilled and live crickets and has doubled in size. Fed it this evening on a cricket about half its size which it took instantly.
I'm keeping it on a fairly damp and deep substrate with plenty of ventilation.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
they were described as rarely available.
Whoever described it must not be up to date on the market - I regularly see vendors and dealers with these guys. :rofl: Still, awesome T, and though I'd describe it to be more intermediate as far as keeping (they tend to put on some attitude with size it'd seem) far from the worst T you could start with. Just make sure that it doesn't go dry when they're that small, but don't overdo it. Sub should be slightly damp but not soaking.

Welcome to the T hobby. ;)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have 2 P. sazimai young adults, a male and a female, and both of them threat posture constantly, sometimes to the point where they rear up so much that they fall on their backs and continue to do it. They are the most defensive Ts in my collection. As long as you use tongs to do maintenance, you should be fine. You can laugh at them for threat posturing and slapping their food every time. You might even luck out and get more docile ones, who knows.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I have 2 P. sazimai young adults, a male and a female, and both of them threat posture constantly, sometimes to the point where they rear up so much that they fall on their backs and continue to do it. They are the most defensive Ts in my collection. As long as you use tongs to do maintenance, you should be fine. You can laugh at them for threat posturing and slapping their food every time. You might even luck out and get more docile ones, who knows.
So kinda like a blue new world obt with less venom then? Ive seen obt fall over backwards into their webs and still threat posture while wriggling on their backs!

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Whoever described it must not be up to date on the market - I regularly see vendors and dealers with these guys.
Perhaps they meant rarely available at a decent price?

In my case (strict budget) the P. sazimai is the only sling I've paid over $30 for. If i remember correctly it was actually like $40 for it.

PS. I have spent more $$$ on T's....but those were confirmed females.

Last edited:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
So kinda like a blue new world obt with less venom then? Ive seen obt fall over backwards into their webs and still threat posture while wriggling on their backs!
They are faster and more defensive than common NWs, but still very easy to work with, they are nowhere close to OWs and shouldnt be avoided because their temperament.

In my case (stick budget) it's my 1st sling in which I spent over $30 for (except for my females).
It is amazing how fast their price dropped. From new blue species (=$$ :D ) to dirt cheap in literally few years.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
They are faster and more defensive than common NWs, but still very easy to work with, they are nowhere close to OWs and shouldnt be avoided because their temperament.

It is amazing how fast their price dropped. From new blue species (=$$ :D ) to dirt cheap in literally few years.
Thanks for the advice. Gonna attempt a rehouse today. It currently is in a glass enclosure with one of those snap on lids and I prefer something with a door. Thinking about an exo terra breeding box or something like that. This t is very active so having something a little bigger would be good. Plus giving a little more distance between the t and myself for maintanence would be good.

I have heard that these can be kinda like GBB in that the can do terrrestrial, fossorial and semi arboreal behavior. How would you orient a new setup for it. Right now there is sub up to the top and a water dish with no hide. I would prefer a hide and some burrowing opportunities.

Cheers!

Ian14

Arachnobaron

In my case (stick budget) it's my 1st sling in which I spent over $30 for (except for my females).
No, rarely available. They may be common in the US but I guess here in the UK they arent so common. Mine came from a very reputable well respected UK invert supplier so if they describe them as rarely available I would happily accept that as being the case here.