P rufliata vs P ornata: compare and contrast.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm wanting to pick up some Pokies soon and would appreciate your' ideas on the two species in regard to

A) Real size, growth rates

B) Colors, both real and "light assisted"

C) Temperament and visibility.

I know it's all about personal taste, and I'm positive I'll have both species within a relatively short amount of time, but I just wanted to get some takes on experienced people. If you had to get one, which would you pic and why? Pictures welcome, and thanks!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Only pokie we keep is a trio of rufilata.We acquired them when they were maybe 2.75 inches,and in the 6-7 months we have owned them they have molted twice,and are 4.5-4.75 inches.2 females,one male,and the growth so far has been pretty equal between all three.As far as temperament and visibility,ours are VERY skittish. I only see them in the mornings or late at night,but as soon as they know I am there they vanish.To the wife and I,they are the most attractive pokie(our opinion) by far. They are pretty stunning after a molt with the greens and reddish tints.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's hard to beat P. ornata in my opinion.
VERY fast growers, visible much of the time, spectacular spider.

Skittish, will not hesitate to turn and bite, and like all pokies need to be
treated with respect.

I'd take a gander at the pokie picture thread, plenty of photos there.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here ya go (don't have a subfusca adult only a 3" juvie)...my P. smithi is also a sub adult.

P. rufilata:

P. ornata:

P. miranda:

P. regalis:

P. striata:

P. pederseni:

P. formosa:

P. metallica:

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow Rob. That was very thourough! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Very useful pics.

How do they compare on size though when grown? Same thickness? And DLS?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow Rob. That was very thourough! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Very useful pics.

How do they compare on size though when grown? Same thickness? And DLS?
My rufi and ornata are at the 10" legspan mark...the ornata is a bit thicker but not by much....the rufi & ornata are the 2 biggest pokies but i like how the rufi blends in with the wood...plus the rufi has a different look than most of the pokies!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 10" ornata, and a smaller rufilata. They look great in their own way. Both are skittish and run away rather than fight.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a 10" ornata, and a smaller rufilata. They look great in their own way. Both are skittish and run away rather than fight.
I wish my ornata would do that, she actually charges ready to bite...pretty mean girl!

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think I'm leaning rufi. Are they "generally" less aggressive than ornatas? I've read ornatas are the more "ready to bite" pokey.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think I'm leaning rufi. Are they "generally" less aggressive than ornatas? I've read ornatas are the more "ready to bite" pokey.
My Rufi is less agreesive but as fast as lighting!

Look at here in this feeding vid..she is the 2nd feeding!

[YOUTUBE]HbVLHXKfkkE[/YOUTUBE]

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got a good one might make a thread of it , ive seen ornata females with red hairs on the legs and seen without red , ive seen them with purple hues on the legs, my female has alot of purple , do you think its because of the location they were from , like maybe a little farther apart in region ? or what

here is links to my ornata
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=17647&catid=member&imageuser=42805

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=16565&catid=member&imageuser=42805

i also have two females , ruflatas that is, one big girl, and a 4.5 to 5." baby

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wish my ornata would do that, she actually charges ready to bite...pretty mean girl!
Hi Rob

My girl used to do that, but after last molt, i fear she is near her end. Seems more sluggish than usual. Not much defensive behavior anymore, unfortunately.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cool. I am sold on the rufi. Thanks a lot guys!

Rob: I watch all your' vids when they come out. I showed that rufi to my wife and she totally got scared! Awesome!

Next project for Rob=Sammy feeding video! *crosses fingers