P Regalis?

Blaze

Arachnopeon
hey guys...yeah im new to T's and i only have a smithi and a rosea...and ive been in the T Business for about a month...but i have the oppurtunity to get a confirmed FEMALE P Regalis whose about 6 inches.. for only $50. this is a sick deal but im not sure if i should get it because im a newcomer?

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
I haven't been keeping Ts all that long either. I've got a 4.5" P. regalis. It's quick, but it's not difficult to deal with. I think you'd be fine as long as you're not expecting to be able to take your T out to "play." =)

Blaze

Arachnopeon
oh ok...do you think i should get a p regalis or p metallica?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought you were asking if you should get it because you're new and it's a 'sick deal'?

Why are you now asking about P. metallica?

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
I've never had a P. metallica.

You should get whichever one you like more. Do you have a local invert club? Maybe you can find somone who owns one and see how much you like them in person.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
because the local dealer has both... and the metallica is $100.... apparently he needs the money so that is why i ask

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

I thought you were asking if you should get it because you're new and it's a 'sick deal'?

Why are you now asking about P. metallica?
instead of being a smart <edit>, you could kindly answer my question. your post was completely unnecessary

Last edited by a moderator:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Go for it - - as long as you're smart about it, the care is not much different than others.

I started out with two Phlogius sp. from Australia, and then moved right to an H. lividum, a full grown P. regalis female, and 3 other pokie slings not long after. Research their care, and ALWAYS respect them - you'll be fine, and probably love it!

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
do you reccomend ever handling Regalis :p?
I don't handle mine for sure :D. I don't recommend handling to anyone - - however, for educational purposes, I do handle about half of my collection on occasion. . . . . the pokies, lividum, and Aussies are not in that half however :D

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Pokies are genarally not hard to keep or overly defensive but have potent venom.
When they are smaller they are more of a handfull to rehouse.. Mainly because they are faster and more agile. I had a 2" P. regalis shoot up my arm into my armpit couple days ago. {D If your not comfortable with that situation you may want reconsider. Although there are lots of tricks for avoiding this, like "the tarantula containment device TM" by Hobo

Starting out with a new world arboreal is a better idea if you dont own any. P. irminia and T. gigas come to mind. They can be just as fast, a little more defensive but have less potent venom. :D

Blaze

Arachnopeon
haha amen to that ^_^, also im afraid of the speed of the pokies... :s

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Um, for those prices, get them both!!! You will NEVER see them go for so cheap. Kind of curious though, you have any pictures of them? I meen, since you're new. Wanna make sure you're not getting ripped off :D

Blaze

Arachnopeon
I'm gonna head down there today and grab some pics. I had a friend, whose been in the trade for over 10 years now come with me, and he confirmed their species. i want to get both, but im kinda afraid of the speed of the pokies :s i wouldnt know what to do if they got out their enclosure! any tips?

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea if the dealer is saying the metallica is a female for a $100 then im kinda thinking its either a male or shes trying to rip you off. If it is a female though i would not hesitate to buy her. I just bought a 2.25" female p.metallica <edit> for $400.

Matt

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
haha amen to that ^_^, also im afraid of the speed of the pokies... :s
Well, I won't lie about that - - "teleporting" really does accurately describe them. But, it's not like moving from constrictors to "hots" in the snake world. I doubt you really need any "practice" pokies, but certainly that's up to you. You want to be as comfortable with them as possible.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
wow this really is a good deal then. he even offered to wait until the next molt ( because she's due for one ) and i can confirm the gender.

yeah, i think im just gonna go ahead and go for it and hope for the best.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
instead of being a smart <edit>, you could kindly answer my question. your post was completely unnecessary
So was your response <edit>.

My suggestion to you is that you maybe take it a bit slower with your acquisitions, especially when you venture into old world territory. Maybe do a little research on the species and figure things out for yourself instead of asking all these questions that have been answered here a hundred times over.

Maybe read the rules on cursing while you're at it?

do you reccomend ever handling Regalis :p?
No.

Here's some more 'kindly' advice:

Species name is not capitalized.

Brachypelma smithi...not Brachypelma Smithi. I've been seeing this a lot lately, too. :}
Kudos though for being new and still using scientific names. That's not all that common and I appreciate that you took the time to at least learn them.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
the thing i noticed about your responses in other threads, is that you tend to criticize the person who is asking the question, and then answer the question, but before you leave you end it off with a little bit more criticism. i suggest you work on your social skills, kind sir.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Um, for those prices, get them both!!! You will NEVER see them go for so cheap. Kind of curious though, you have any pictures of them? I meen, since you're new. Wanna make sure you're not getting ripped off :D
+1 :razz: Although, I got mine even cheaper than that - my P. metallica sling was only $90, and my 6" P. regalis was $40.

Haven't been able to sex my metallica though - - if it's a guaranteed female then yes . . . you will NEVER see that price again.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the thing i noticed about your responses in other threads, is that you tend to criticize the person who is asking the question, and then answer the question, but before you leave you end it off with a little bit more criticism. i suggest you work on your social skills, kind sir.
The real problem is I don't feel like spending the time to sit here and add strawberries, peaches, and roses to every post to make sure I don't hurt people's feelings.

I'll address your original post and your follow-up with the P. metallica one more time, and hopefully this time I can convey what I was trying to say with my initial 'criticizing' response.

hey guys...yeah im new to T's and i only have a smithi and a rosea...and ive been in the T Business for about a month...but i have the oppurtunity to get a confirmed FEMALE P Regalis whose about 6 inches.. for only $50. this is a sick deal but im not sure if i should get it because im a newcomer?
Here, you say you're new, been in the hobby for a month, then reiterate that you're a newcomer.

oh ok...do you think i should get a p regalis or p metallica?
Now you're asking about a spider that's more rare, more expensive, and just as medically significant as the regalis.

So what I'm asking you is this:

If you're new to the hobby and are questioning whether or not you should get a regalis, then why would you even consider getting a metallica?

The only pro about getting metallica instead of regalis is that they tend to be more docile than regalis. That's it (in my opinion).

Cons:

• More expensive
  • Harder to breed
  • Your experience level

Playing off of the 'more expensive' reason not to get it, if it dies, you're not only out the money, but you're out a rare spider.

Of course, the choice is totally up to you, but my personal recommendation is that if you're going to get one or the other, get the regalis. Otherwise, if there is a third option, I'd suggest getting a spiderling first. This way, as they get larger, faster, and less hesitant to bite, you'll have already been in the hobby long enough to have a better idea of what to expect. On top of that, you'll have already experienced it growing up, so that'll help you out as well.

I'd also suggest you read the bite reports on any species you get, so you're aware of what can potentially happen if you do end up getting tagged.

EDIT:

+1 :razz: Although, I got mine even cheaper than that - my P. metallica sling was only $90, and my 6" P. regalis was $40.

Haven't been able to sex my metallica though - - if it's a guaranteed female then yes . . . you will NEVER see that price again.
Price is hardly the reason to buy two old world spiders when you've hardly got any experience in the hobby in its entirety.

Brandon, I hope you don't consider price as your only reason for purchasing them.