P. regalis

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
how large do P. regalis have to be to be mature? i have two 5 inchers ,and i am pretty sure they are male and female...but was wanting to know, that if my male does molt into mature, how will i know the female is ready also?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd imagine 5" would be mature enough for an attempt, perhaps even a little smaller. When he matures, give it a shot. Put their enclosures against each other and see if they start tapping at each other....

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd imagine 5" would be mature enough for an attempt, perhaps even a little smaller. When he matures, give it a shot. Put their enclosures against each other and see if they start tapping at each other....
Not so fast! I don't even think one is a MM...... :? He "thinks" it is male and female

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
About 75% of maximum leg span is a good rule of thumb. Also checking the spermatheca for full development. (darkening and thickening)

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not so fast! I don't even think one is a MM...... :? He "thinks" it is male and female
Exactly, when the male matures. As for the other, thats a good point. Would help to find out if it is indeed a female. Pokies seem to be relatively easy to sex ventrally, post some pics and we can give you a good idea.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i got a ventral shot of the one that i think is male, and will soon have aventral shot at the other one....as soon as i rehouse it....so i can post some pics then....was hoping they would both molt soon...seems like everything else is but them...my L. difficilis molted yester day and i checked it, got a
6 1/4" female...anyways as soon as i got both ventral shots ill post them...thanks

Exactly, when the male matures. As for the other, thats a good point. Would help to find out if it is indeed a female. Pokies seem to be relatively easy to sex ventrally, post some pics and we can give you a good idea.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i have this shot of the one that i think is male, and the other T, i havent got a shot of yet...rehoused it last night, and tried to get it on the glass for a shot, but couldnt...i did put them next to eachother, but havent noticed anything, but i dunno what they were doing in the middle of the night....but this is the one i think is male...

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thats a nice female you have. :drool:

Can you post a dorsal photo to go with this vent pic?

Looking closer makes me think its a male now.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what is a dorsal pic? and i have had these two for about 5 or 6 months..and neither one has molted yet...i tried measuring them last night and the one in the pic is 5 inch, and the other is 6 inch....anyways, let me know what kinda pics you need and ill get them...really wish they would both molt at once, then i can sex em and know for sure....thanks

Thats a nice female you have. :drool:

Can you post a dorsal photo to go with this vent pic?

Looking closer makes me think its a male now.

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dorsal Pic

Get a pic of the top of the pokies too, it can be useful for determining sex. The pic above looks male to me.

John

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok so amazingly after waiting forever, my other pokie molted, not the one in the pic...but absolutely of course had to be ripped only in the spot you need to see....i tried for over a half hour, and i think i might of seen a tiny peice of a flap, but not enough to be sure.....and this one i never catch out on the glass to take a belly shot....so i will either have to wait until more molts, or try and get some forced pics....and i measured the molt and she/he is 6", the one in the pic im pretty sure is 5 inch, but might be close to 6" too

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At that size, wouldn't a male have matured? What size to they typically go through their ultimate molt at....?
I beleive that P. Regalis can get pretty large, almost 8 inches.
I think a male wouldn't mature that early.
But I could be wrong.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Does the answer to this question ever change? I see it on here every week at least once or twice, and the answer is always: "at least 60% full size for females, & when males have bulbs and hooks".
I don't see why people keep asking :?

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

And yes, P. Regalis can get 8inches :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i know that they can get that big, but if i do have a male and female, and i know for sure...then do i have to wait for a muture molt on both of them, or just the male, or can i try breeding them before either is mature?

Does the answer to this question ever change? I see it on here every week at least once or twice, and the answer is always: "at least 60% full size for females, & when males have bulbs and hooks".
I don't see why people keep asking :?

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

And yes, P. Regalis can get 8inches :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
i know that they can get that big, but if i do have a male and female, and i know for sure...then do i have to wait for a muture molt on both of them, or just the male, or can i try breeding them before either is mature?
The male must be sexualy mature. As well as the female, she should be at least 5.5". The male will have big red "boxing gloves" on his "hands" to put it in laymans terms. I would be hesitant to put a bigger male in with a smaller female. IT may not end well.

Post a picture of the top of the spider. Then we can give you our best opinion on the gender without a molt. Please. ;)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well they one is 6 inch, and the other is def 5 inch mabe 6....and yeah i know about the bulbous pedipalps, but i have a top pic of the one that i have pictured earlier in the thread, but the other one never comes out for me to get a good pic...i might try and use my paintbrush and get it out in the open....ill post pics when i can...thanks

The male must be sexualy mature. As well as the female, she should be at least 5.5". The male will have big red "boxing gloves" on his "hands" to put it in laymans terms. I would be hesitant to put a bigger male in with a smaller female. IT may not end well.

Post a picture of the top of the spider. Then we can give you our best opinion on the gender without a molt. Please. ;)