P. regalis stridulating

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Today I was wanting to get a photo of my adult female P. regalis because she has some of the most vibrant colors of my pokies and with her aggression I've never been able to photograph her with out risk. In the process of trying to get her out she started stridulating and it was pretty loud. I don't know if this is common or not but I have never experienced this genus stridulating and honestly didn't know they did so it was really cool.

In the end I have no photo due to her lovely attitude :rolleyes:

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Definition of STRIDULATE

: to make a shrill creaking noise by rubbing together special bodily structures —used especially of male insects (as crickets or grasshoppers)
— strid·u·la·tion noun
— strid·u·la·to·ry adjective

Citharischius crawshayi & Theraphosa blondi and a few others are what they call "true hissers".

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Here's a better defanition

Stridulate - Rubbing of unique organs to create sounds. Some tarantulas posess stridulatory hairs used to make 'hissing' sounds to deter predators. Sounds like velcro.

"true hissers" is a vague term. I believe all tarantulas have the stridulation organs but very few genuses use them. Theraphosa blondi and Citharischius crawshayii are two tarantulas that stridulate very often.

Please buy the TKG it will give you a far more detailed understanding of this then I can.

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I understand stridulation, i was curious about the "true" part specifically which you have now clarified for me. thank you! :D I believe I've heard my L. violaceopes stridulate a few days after a molt.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's a better defanition

Stridulate - Rubbing of unique organs to create sounds. Some tarantulas posess stridulatory hairs used to make 'hissing' sounds to deter predators. Sounds like velcro.

"true hissers" is a vague term. I believe all tarantulas have the stridulation organs but very few genuses use them. Theraphosa blondi and Citharischius crawshayii are two tarantulas that stridulate very often.

Please buy the TKG it will give you a far more detailed understanding of this then I can.
Citharischius crawshayii you should say Pelinobius muticus :wall: darn name changes

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Yes Pelinobius muticus is correct. I think Citharischius crawshayi should be the common name LOL:D

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For people who haven't seen this yet watch:

[YOUTUBE]99NpCPjtJ78[/YOUTUBE]

By far the most extreme case of a species stridulating hehe!
Wish I could get a few of these!
-Chris

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha, that vid is awesome. Never gets old. Chris, did you get any stridulating from the balfouri MM? He sure did it a lot when I was packing him up for shipping.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Chris, did you get any stridulating from the balfouri MM? He sure did it a lot when I was packing him up for shipping.
Nope!He was quite well behaved haha!I have however seen my female do it awhile back.
-Chris

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For people who haven't seen this yet watch:

[YOUTUBE]99NpCPjtJ78[/YOUTUBE]

By far the most extreme case of a species stridulating hehe!
Wish I could get a few of these!
-Chris
That video was freaking sweet! I gotta show it to my arachnophobe girlfriend! Thanks a bunch for posting :)