P. regalis size?

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A couple people have told me that they own 10 inch P. regalis's when every care sheet I've ever read says they only reach about 6.5-7 inch. I'm not sure if these guys are just exaggerating or they aren't measuring the leg span (I and IV) on the same side. That would still make them around 9 inches. Anyone have/heard of one getting this big?

On another note I am happy to say that I sexed both of my 6.5 inch regalis's wrong and they are both female!! Never been so happy to be wrong =D
It's like the last molt the spermatheca just appeared out of nowhere :?

Jim B.
(not a sexing expert)

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I think some can get bigger than what caresheets say. They are basically like a guideline and what others have seen, but there is always the chance of a T getting larger than what is thought. Like the Brazilian salmon pink(Lasiodora Parahybana) they are ranged from Full Grown Size 7.5 to 10 Inches but there was one that got to be 13 inches so its possible but at the same time they could just be hyping their T's up. So anyways its possible but who knows until you see for yourself.

peace

TheDon

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i also think it has to do with the person measuring the t , i've heard people say "my t. blondi is 10"!" but in reality its only like 8" the biggest P. regalis i've seen was maybe 8", some people tend to exagerate a bit...its even more annoying when you buy t's from a person who does this and they arrive much smaller than they think they are...

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree

It is annoying when you buy a T and it's much smaller infact that happened to :(. WH0a 9 inch regalis thats big. Never heard of them getting that big. any ways have a nice day
geo

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Most people measure the tarantula's *max* leg span. Which can only be seen when the T is completely stretched out. So a 10 inch T. blondi may look more like an 8 inch and so forth. But pokies are pretty hard to measure wrong because of the way they stand outstretched all of the time.

Also I remember invertepet.com advertising a 9 inch male P. regalis on their site. I'm just wondering if it's common for them to get this big.

Jim B.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i do beleave that a P. regalis could get that big .I was just saying how somw people oversize their t's, pokies do seem much easier to measure since their usualy flat on the glass--Jeff

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I seriously doubt a P. regalis will attain a 10" diagonal legspan. That's equal to the largest tarantula on 'official' record. But 8"? very possibly. I know one of my big females is about there.

Bread

Arachnopeon
My little list (yes my excel skills suck)

The adults I got from my bro when he emigrated to the US :)

cold blood

Staff member
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I think some can get bigger than what caresheets say. They are basically like a guideline and what others have seen, but there is always the chance of a T getting larger than what is thought. Like the Brazilian salmon pink(Lasiodora Parahybana) they are ranged from Full Grown Size 7.5 to 10 Inches but there was one that got to be 13 inches so its possible but at the same time they could just be hyping their T's up. So anyways its possible but who knows until you see for yourself.

peace

TheDon
Man I know its been 13 years, but I just can't help but go out of my way to laugh at this post....just ridiculous.:rofl::rofl: 13 inch LP, people must have been pretty naive back then, either that or they had no clue how to use a ruler or tape measure, maybe were looking at centimeters instead.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

pokies are pretty hard to measure wrong because of the way they stand outstretched all of the time.
And what????? The way a pokie sits makes them the easiest t on the planet to get a measurement on. Put the ruler against the side and...look at it.

I know its an old revival, but I gotta say, it really make me laugh when I read through it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Big spiders sell, so dealers are sometimes motivated to inflate sizes on their websites & pricelists. I've had many Poecs, and the typical size is around 7" for most species (a few are less). Rufilata & ornata can go over 7", but not by inches. I've seen some exaggerated sizes for a number of other Asian arboreals. From what I've seen LP's average 7 to 8" (I had an adult LP female that never went over 7"), but how else is a dealer going to move hundreds of tiny LP slings if he doesn't pad their size. How many people have bought LP slings, secure in the knowledge that one day it will rival Theraphosa in size, and then they come here and we burst their bubble. A 9" LP or regalis would be a rare freak. Anything over that is highly suspect.