P.regalis sick please help!

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
IMG_0815.JPG I just got back from my trip, and found my P.regalis in this state. What's the white stuff around her mouth? The spider is alive, I found her headfirst in her waterdish, but apparently not drinking. She's moving but quite weak.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
she's still alive, but I'm worried that won't last. I can't think of anything she ate that the others didn't eat (and everyone else is fine)
you may have saw my thread about my violaceopes, it up and died one afternoon after giving no signs of dehydration or anything. the most probable suggestions i got from all the helpful people that responded were impaction, or something to do with the water, chemicals or whatnot. yours looks like something else though.. mine didnt have that white stuff. does it come off? it might be poop.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
you may have saw my thread about my violaceopes, it up and died one afternoon after giving no signs of dehydration or anything. the most probable suggestions i got from all the helpful people that responded were impaction, or something to do with the water, chemicals or whatnot. yours looks like something else though.. mine didnt have that white stuff. does it come off? it might be poop.
the white stuff is like hard, but this weird brown blob came out of her mouth all of a sudden.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
the white stuff is like hard, but this weird brown blob came out of her mouth all of a sudden.
im not sure exactly what they are, but that sounds like nematodes.. ive read theyre contagious, people usually put the spider in the freezer.. @14pokies i think this happened to your Hysteocrates recently?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
im not sure exactly what they are, but that sounds like nematodes.. ive read theyre contagious, people usually put the spider in the freezer.. @14pokies i think this happened to your Hysteocrates recently?
No wasn't nematodes luckily and that nasty patch of whatever disapeared.. She drinks and eats regularly now but hasn't put on any weight so I'm leaning towards some type of internal parasites or possible injury... As long as she keeps fighting I will do my best to keep her alive.. She hasn't curled up ever or looked like a dying tarantula she is just extremely thin..

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
No wasn't nematodes luckily and that nasty patch of whatever disapeared.. She drinks and eats regularly now but hasn't put on any weight so I'm leaning towards some type of internal parasites or possible injury... As long as she keeps fighting I will do my best to keep her alive.. She hasn't curled up ever or looked like a dying tarantula she is just extremely thin..
Think there's still any hope for this regalis? I really don't want to see her die like this, I've raised her from a tiny sling.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Think there's still any hope for this regalis? I really don't want to see her die like this, I've raised her from a tiny sling.
There was a recent thread -- which I can't find -- about people using a salt water bath and that killed the nematodes. You dunk your spider kind of like a sheep dip, then rinse her with plain water. If it was me I'd try it.
Be careful. Nematodes are a threat to you, Ts, dogs....

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
From what I understand nematodes present as a moving white mass at the mouth parts. Behavior I've read about includes repeatedly dunking the mouthparts in water, but not drinking, as well as regurgitation.

I've read about two methods that proved successful for the individuals. One was a salt solution dip, the other was irrigating with antibiotic solution into the mouth & scraping the white goo off. Of the two, if consensus is that nematodes are highly probable, the salt dip would be most easily accomplished. The concentration of the solution wasn't specified, the person described filling the bottom of the container with salt then adding water. The "dip" he described was prolonged, he stated "probably five minutes," but I imagine while holding a tarantula under it was probably less time than that but seemed much longer. The dip was repeated at intervals, using the reappearance of the goo as an indication it needed to be repeated.

If you do proceed, working with specific ratios & time of treatment would be helpful should it be successful. Might help establish a protocol, or at least guidance for the future. Also, if nematodes I would quarantine from other animals, sanitize all your tools, & be fastidious about cross-contamination.

boina

Lady of the mites
If you raised that T from tiny sling I think nematodes are HIGHLY unlikely. I mean they have to come from somewhere, they don't just appear out of thin air. Did you get any WC tarantulas lately?
Be careful. Nematodes are a threat to you, Ts, dogs....
Er...No. There are several 100.000 species of nematodes and they are highly specific. Tarantula nematodes will not under any circumstances infect a mammal. And soil nematodes, of which there are plenty, will not infect a tarantula. So, if you haven't introduced a WC tarantula to your household lately those are not nematodes.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's not just the white stuff. The whole area around the mouthparts seems swollen, with those white things being a part of it.
These things suck, to say the least. :(

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Like Andrea said I can see that the entire mouth area is swollen in addition to the white stuff. I unfortunately cannot offer any viable advice on this situation, but I do hope that she pulls through for you.

It could be possible that one of the prey items had some kind of internal parasites and that they were transferred to the spider. I admit I have that fear every time I feed my collection. Unfortunately, I do not have ability to acquire roaches at the moment and breeding crickets is way too smelly so for the moment I am a bit stuck.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
If you raised that T from tiny sling I think nematodes are HIGHLY unlikely. I mean they have to come from somewhere, they don't just appear out of thin air. Did you get any WC tarantulas lately?

Er...No. There are several 100.000 species of nematodes and they are highly specific. Tarantula nematodes will not under any circumstances infect a mammal. And soil nematodes, of which there are plenty, will not infect a tarantula. So, if you haven't introduced a WC tarantula to your household lately those are not nematodes.
No WC recently.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
What's strangest is she's showing all the symptoms of dehydration, except she seems unable to drink at all.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Can you give her water by dropping it on the mouthparts? Do they even work? Can she move her fangs?
How is she doing?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Can you give her water by dropping it on the mouthparts? Do they even work? Can she move her fangs?
How is she doing?
She can move her fangs and her limbs, I tried dripping water on her via pipette, but apparently she can't drink, it just sits on her mouth.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Possible impaction then (due to what, hard to say). It can't pass anything so nothing can go in. Would explain the brown blob that came out. I was watching an episode of Monsters Inside Me and a teen had accidentally swallowed part of a wire bristle from a bbq brush. It got stuck in his intestines, actually pinned two passages together effectively blocking his digestive tract. He couldn't keep anything down, abdominal pain, eventually began throwing up blood AND feces before docs figured out the problem. Sounds similar to your spider but that's just a guess.

Sorry man, I had a pede die from an impacted gut once.