P. Regalis, only not really!!!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Speaking of experience, anyone have experience with paulatpetshop aka petcenterusa? I read great reviews but they were a bit dated. The prices are rock bottom! Including shipping I can get a cobalt and an OBT for around $65. I would be paying that much just to make the drive to buy one T from the LPS!!!!
I've ordered from Paul quite a few times he's definitely the cheapest around and his are ALWAYS packaged top notch. He takes very good care in his packing to ensure the animal males a safe journey.
That being said there were some drama involving home a bit ago, do some searching to figure it out, but as far as actual business dealing I've always had a top notch experience with Paul

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I'm a bit late to this particular party, but one thing I found very beneficial about starting out with more easygoing NW tarantulas is it helped me learn and develop good habits in a way where I could make mistakes and learn from them without suffering major consequences via a potent bite. Things like always working with tongs, making sure to always know where the T is and make sure that it is aware of my presence before watering or doing maintenance, always having a catch cup handy no matter how docile the T may be, always doing maintenance, etc in a controlled environment (inside a tub on a clear raised table).

So by the time I worked up to very fast/somewhat defensive spiders in my Psalmos as well my H. pulchripes which isn't very defensive but is very fast and as an OW baboon has a potent bite, I had already cultivated those habits so the transition was a bit smoother. You CAN cultivate those habits if you start out with an OW or a fast/defensive NW, but the results of an error on your part are going to be magnified greatly. As far as the speed...as others have stated, you simply can't prepare yourself for it by reading anything. You have to experience it and work with it for a while in order to learn to (at least somewhat) control your response in the event that things don't go as planned.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm a bit late to this particular party, but one thing I found very beneficial about starting out with more easygoing NW tarantulas is it helped me learn and develop good habits in a way where I could make mistakes and learn from them without suffering major consequences via a potent bite. Things like always working with tongs, making sure to always know where the T is and make sure that it is aware of my presence before watering or doing maintenance, always having a catch cup handy no matter how docile the T may be, always doing maintenance, etc in a controlled environment (inside a tub on a clear raised table).

So by the time I worked up to very fast/somewhat defensive spiders in my Psalmos as well my H. pulchripes which isn't very defensive but is very fast and as an OW baboon has a potent bite, I had already cultivated those habits so the transition was a bit smoother. You CAN cultivate those habits if you start out with an OW or a fast/defensive NW, but the results of an error on your part are going to be magnified greatly. As far as the speed...as others have stated, you simply can't prepare yourself for it by reading anything. You have to experience it and work with it for a while in order to learn to (at least somewhat) control your response in the event that things don't go as planned.
I completely respect with what you are saying here..

..but did your first T teach you that the hard way? Or did you research first and find all that useful information about keeping your NW T before you had acquired it?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I've ordered from Paul quite a few times he's definitely the cheapest around and his are ALWAYS packaged top notch. He takes very good care in his packing to ensure the animal males a safe journey.
That being said there were some drama involving home a bit ago, do some searching to figure it out, but as far as actual business dealing I've always had a top notch experience with Paul
+1

I have nothing but good things to say about Paul. Excellent packing, prices, and communication. I think he might become my new go to.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've had lots of lividums, my avatar is one from years back. It was an escape artist. It only went across the room and set up shop behind a large snake enclosure so it was easy to find after the first escape. I kept it in a ten gallon and it built a burrow but it preferred the carpet behind the snake cage. Three books stacked on the screen cover weren't enough to keep it in and one of those was a dictionary. They are beautiful but their attitude is less than sociable. I think OBT's are a bit grumpier and certainly seem faster but I have only had a few of those and they were all fairly different disposition wise. All of my lividums were like clones of each other though. They all seemed to have an overdeveloped sense of fight and flight. Stand their ground and threaten, biting if possible, then drop down a hole for a few months for a quick nap. Quite nervous but gorgeous

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I completely respect with what you are saying here..

..but did your first T teach you that the hard way? Or did you research first and find all that useful information about keeping your NW T before you had acquired it?
Bit of both, really. I did plenty of research so I understood the concepts, and I think I did pretty well for a beginner but still did make a couple mistakes along the way. Would those mistakes have resulted in a bite from an OW tarantula? Probably not, but it would have certainly been more likely and certainly more consequential.

And a lot of what I was saying also just goes down to making those habits automatic. I don't even think about it before always grabbing tongs and a catch cup before doing any T maintenance. Its just getting that muscle memory and those automatic safety things that are important to have completely ingrained when you're talking about OW. Especially fast OW arboreal genera like Poecilotheria, Heteroscrodra, Stromatopelma, etc.

I respect others opinions here, and I certainly wasn't saying it was impossible to start with OW tarantulas. Just talking about what I found worked for me and why I'm very glad I started out with easier to deal with species. However, what I said about having to experience the speed and deal with it for a little while to be able to control your reactions somewhat is not really much of an "opinion" thing. That is basic biology and neurological wiring honed by millions of years of evolution, and trying to bypass or control that wiring.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Bit of both, really. I did plenty of research so I understood the concepts, and I think I did pretty well for a beginner but still did make a couple mistakes along the way. Would those mistakes have resulted in a bite from an OW tarantula? Probably not, but it would have certainly been more likely and certainly more consequential.

And a lot of what I was saying also just goes down to making those habits automatic. I don't even think about it before always grabbing tongs and a catch cup before doing any T maintenance. Its just getting that muscle memory and those automatic safety things that are important to have completely ingrained when you're talking about OW. Especially fast OW arboreal genera like Poecilotheria, Heteroscrodra, Stromatopelma, etc.

I respect others opinions here, and I certainly wasn't saying it was impossible to start with OW tarantulas. Just talking about what I found worked for me and why I'm very glad I started out with easier to deal with species. However, what I said about having to experience the speed and deal with it for a little while to be able to control your reactions somewhat is not really much of an "opinion" thing. That is basic biology and neurological wiring honed by millions of years of evolution, and trying to bypass or control that wiring.
I respect others opinions too and I respect yours entirely.

You were sensible headed and did research.

I believe almost everyone looks into the care of an animal before they get it. It is only tiny minorities of the extremely stupid that don't. These people deserve to learn the hard way.

All I was trying to say is that if you wanted to find out information, in depth, about a species care and husbandry requirements, be it NW or OW, it can be found easily.

Almost every time you put i.e. 'sp. care' into google it brings you to these forums. You don't have to be a member to view it.

I think because of this, its a bit silly to say that if people were to research online they would get bad advice.

The people who are saying this are saying that the information contributed by experienced keepers/breeders on these forums is worthless, which is wrong.

I believe beginners are capable of keeping an OW species without incident as long as they read up about it or ask someone with experience first. I believe people are able to adjust quite quickly.

The OP is still alive and has a H. mac as first T and no incidents as yet. I bet if it bolted the OP would know what to do as they are a member on these boards and the information is everywhere here.

I didn't own an OW as my first T. Nor would I even brag about keeping OW species. I just think people should be allowed to get a species that they are interested in. I see loads of people here giving suggestions for first Ts but some people aren't interested in pet rocks or the slow growers.

The reason it is a hobby is because people are interested in keeping these great creatures.

What if one person wants that one T of their dreams, comes here to find out about it, and then gets ripped to shreds or told they should spend money on a list of species that they need to get enclosures and feeders to care for,and carry on through for months/years before they get the one they want.

They should just be advised on what to expect, not ripped down for being interested in a species with a bit more attitude and more potent venom.

I believe it can discourage people from the hobby and is therefore not good for the hobby.

Please bear in mind that this is only my opinion. ;)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I respect others opinions too and I respect yours entirely.

You were sensible headed and did research.

I believe almost everyone looks into the care of an animal before they get it. It is only tiny minorities of the extremely stupid that don't. These people deserve to learn the hard way.

All I was trying to say is that if you wanted to find out information, in depth, about a species care and husbandry requirements, be it NW or OW, it can be found easily.

Almost every time you put i.e. 'sp. care' into google it brings you to these forums. You don't have to be a member to view it.

I think because of this, its a bit silly to say that if people were to research online they would get bad advice.

The people who are saying this are saying that the information contributed by experienced keepers/breeders on these forums is worthless, which is wrong.

I believe beginners are capable of keeping an OW species without incident as long as they read up about it or ask someone with experience first. I believe people are able to adjust quite quickly.

The OP is still alive and has a H. mac as first T and no incidents as yet. I bet if it bolted the OP would know what to do as they are a member on these boards and the information is everywhere here.

I didn't own an OW as my first T. Nor would I even brag about keeping OW species. I just think people should be allowed to get a species that they are interested in. I see loads of people here giving suggestions for first Ts but some people aren't interested in pet rocks or the slow growers.

The reason it is a hobby is because people are interested in keeping these great creatures.

What if one person wants that one T of their dreams, comes here to find out about it, and then gets ripped to shreds or told they should spend money on a list of species that they need to get enclosures and feeders to care for,and carry on through for months/years before they get the one they want.

They should just be advised on what to expect, not ripped down for being interested in a species with a bit more attitude and more potent venom.

I believe it can discourage people from the hobby and is therefore not good for the hobby.

Please bear in mind that this is only my opinion. ;)

What he said

Last edited:

Napier19

Arachnopeon
Thanks for info on lividum. I definitely don't want a pet hole. Although mostly nocturnal, I see my H. Mac daily.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Sorry to give you a hard time, as I agree with most of what you wrote, but after more than a decade in the pet industry I can tell you that this part is dead wrong. Maybe once a week I get someone who has really researched what they want to get and I always praise them lavishly. The rest just come in and tell me what they want. Sometimes they ask questions and very occasionally they even listen to my suggestions. The vast majority don't do any prior research, though, and most don't do any after they get the pet either, unless something goes wrong. You have too much faith in the average pet buyer. You'd die if I told you how many people I know of who have thrown away molting tarantulas, for example.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You have too much faith in the average pet buyer. You'd die if I told you how many people I know of who have thrown away molting tarantulas, for example.
Ahah maybe I do. I have not had one person buy from me yet who hasn't asked a fair few questions. The ones that don't ask much get the whole story before I let anything leave with them.

As for tossing away molting Ts... bloody savages :(

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Ahah maybe I do. I have not had one person buy from me yet who hasn't asked a fair few questions. The ones that don't ask much get the whole story before I let anything leave with them.

As for tossing away molting Ts... bloody savages :(
Yeah T buyers who buy directly from me are different. I mean the average pet store customer. I'm not talking about the lovely folks I've sold to on the boards.

Hello @Chris LXXIX! It's been too long since we chatted!

gottarantulas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can vouch for Paul Becker (Petcenterusa) Great experience with him from the word go. When I first got into the hobby 3 or 4 years ago, I went down to his facility (local drive) and toured his Ts, he sold me my first breeding pair of Pokies (e.g.: P.vittatas), I found him to be super personable in person, hugely knowledgeable and definitely about customer service. In my formative years of T keeping, he always answered/entertained my questions....whether it be via email or phone call. And yes, he has among the best prices and selection.