P. regalis molted on the way home

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Literally this little guy molted between me meeting the guy I got him from and my house. I get home and see way too many legs. I am pretty confident that they're just resting atm but he/she is pretty curled up and still. I tried and failed to get a decent picture. They were about 1 3/4"-2" dls pre molt.

Allegedly they'd just eaten this morning, and they were active and didn't seem pre molty at all when I saw them pre-purchase. What are the chances the poor thing is toast from molting midtrip? They were in a safe still part of the car so I don't think they were jostled much if at all, and they were warm and as safe as you can be in a car.

I'm honestly going to feel awful if my first OW is gone before I even got them home on the shelf. I would have never purchased him and brought him home if I suspected an approaching molt. Would have said let's wait a week or two and I'm sure the guy would have been cool with it. 20210503_204736.jpg

Last edited:

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hopefully it was successful molt.
I'm hoping so. They didn't look dark, faded or plump or lethargic. I definitely wouldn't have subjected them to an almost hour and a half car ride and neither would the guy I bought them from if we'd suspected. I let him know what happened and he's got one more available if they don't make it, but I'd much rather they make it honestly than get a replacement.

I've got them quiet and safe on my spider shelf and just keeping my fingers crossed for now that they're fine. Hopefully I'll know by morning how they did. 😔

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just peeked at them while trying not to disturb them and so far we seem to be okay. They were stretching out but they're positioned in a way I can't get a great look at them so we'll see how they look tomorrow

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
Keep us posted. I’ve never had this happen and I’d be worried sick if it were me. I did however recently buy a large LP sling from a show that was obviously in pre molt, though it took two weeks for it to actually molt.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I've had slings that I ordered arrive with a molt in the vial. Never had any issues with them, in fact a couple are in premoult now.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keep us posted. I’ve never had this happen and I’d be worried sick if it were me. I did however recently buy a large LP sling from a show that was obviously in pre molt, though it took two weeks for it to actually molt.
Will do. So far it's looking hopeful. They've turned around and are stretching out.

I did buy My T. albopilosus sling while they were in premolt but I lived fifteen minutes from where I picked them up at the time so it wasn't a huge concern for me.
Now however I live 45 minutes from town and almost an hour and a half from where this little guy came from. I'm thinking (knock on wood) that my paranoia about them being stressed out on the way home and packing them so carefully may have saved our tails so to speak.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just peeked at them while trying not to disturb them and so far we seem to be okay. They were stretching out but they're positioned in a way I can't get a great look at them so we'll see how they look tomorrow
IT might be fine.. just wait.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IT might be fine.. just wait.
That's the plan. I'm dropping my toddler at his dad's and then I have finals to do. I plan to check in on them this evening after and just leave them alone the rest of the day.

Update: didn't have to wait until after classes to check on them. Walked in the door and walked past the spider shelf and they're out on full display stretching. All 8 legs accounted for and looking good. 😊 20210504_110709.jpg

Last edited:

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Meant to update sooner but finals absolutely kicked my butt. They've been walking around their enclosure and doing some housekeeping. I plan to rehouse them here this week. They're officially named Stevie.