P. regalis Housing Set Up Questions

elephantspider

Arachnopeon
Hey folks! Finally back after stepping away from the hobby for about 7 years, and I picked up two T's in the past couple months. I've always wanted a P. regalis, and I found one at a show over the weekend for a great price. This is a 2" specimen, and I have never had an arboreal T before. I have plenty of stuff to be used as anchor points, a small water dish that is a sea shell, and the vial that he came in. Right now he refuses to leave, I'm planning on getting that out of there, but I'm not about to try to pick a fight. A cricket fell in, and he ate it down fast, so I get the feeling he is comfortable. The substrate is a little moist, but not overly so, and there are vent holes running all the way around. Should I add more besides the single row? What are your thoughts, Arachnoboards? I have to say, it is so great to be back!

Attachments

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Looks crowded to me.
For a pokie sling, i like this type of setup.....
On the bottom left thats a curved piece of cork so i can always see it as they like to hide in cork tubes. And my P. subfusca highland sp. would always web it up good and stay put unless hungry. He/she would venture out a bit when hunting

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd add a bottle cap water dish and get him out of the vial. Anchor points are only required for Avicularia, Poecilotheria make dirt curtains around their hide. I don't see any hide except for the plants, add a bit of cork bark against one side.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
IMO if you wanna see your spider more, then leave it a little more cluttered like you've done. If you dont mind your regalis being more of a hermit then clean it up a bit and wait for it to hide/make a hide.
Eventually though they will hide either way. (Before molts etc.)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Regardless of if I've left it cluttered or clean all my pokie slings have burrowed and then put up a web curtain. With the exception of my P.met who has never webbed much at all.

Here are some photos of some my pokie enclosures.

I've had better luck with the higher water dishes (cup in a cup) shown in this photo. It has a hole which lets the dish be filled without opening the enclosure which is nice for when I'm on the road and I need to get someone else to water for me. I don't have to clean them out as much and they work really well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey folks! Finally back after stepping away from the hobby for about 7 years, and I picked up two T's in the past couple months. I've always wanted a P. regalis, and I found one at a show over the weekend for a great price. This is a 2" specimen, and I have never had an arboreal T before. I have plenty of stuff to be used as anchor points, a small water dish that is a sea shell, and the vial that he came in. Right now he refuses to leave, I'm planning on getting that out of there, but I'm not about to try to pick a fight. A cricket fell in, and he ate it down fast, so I get the feeling he is comfortable. The substrate is a little moist, but not overly so, and there are vent holes running all the way around. Should I add more besides the single row? What are your thoughts, Arachnoboards? I have to say, it is so great to be back!
It will likely do fine in there. I never kept my P. ruflata's setups that crowded. Mostly because as you may know this genus is quite fast and nimble. I often found my rufi's more likely to use the plants like yours as steps to run out if disturbed too much, as opposed to using the dense plastic as a hiding place.

I would put it in something that is taller and wider, more space is better than less w/this genus.

Just my experience.