P. regalis eating a mouse

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It should be noted that I don't recommend or encourage adult rodent feedings to tarantulas... It can result in damage to your spider (mice can fight back!). I cooled this somewhat large hopper off in the fridge for a few minutes so it was sluggish and more of an easy target for my quite large regalis (she's about 8-9").

But it sure looks impressive! No videos this time. ;)

Attachments

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is very impressive. Was the mouse killed quickly? I ask this because of the venom discussion, does your T. blondi kill mice slower or faster than the poke? I would suppose that with the poke being arboreal they have to kill quicker than a terrestrial spider (harder to pin down prey in a tree than on the ground).
Any ideas?
greetz,
Joost

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Unfortunately, I was called away from the tank for a bit and didn't see the actual kill. It's likely that most mice predated upon by (large) tarantulas are killed more quickly by the two large fangs impaling them than they are by any toxins. If you check the recently posted pic of a mouse being consumed by a blondi, you can see blood in its mouth, a sign of massive internal bleeding caused by the perforation. If someone stuck you or I with a sword right through the midsection, it probably wouldn't matter if it was poisoned or not...

b

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey man, you seriously need to go and edit your signature. It's got like 1000 lines in it.

b

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
did your regalis bounced on the mouse from the top or it was on the wall and catch the mouse from there?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Hey man, you seriously need to go and edit your signature. It's got like 1000 lines in it.

I agree :D

Mark

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well obviously James isn't going to defend himself... he's trying. I tried to help him out with it but he may have to have MrD rescue him. Give him some slack, he's done all he can at this point.

Botar

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow James' one liner posts seem so big with that signature