P. regalis "community" set up and advice

HairyCelt

Arachnosquire
Hi All,
I'm an experienced scorpion keeper who has recently moved into Ts, have fallen in love with the Ornamentals and am expecting delivery of 5 x P.regalis slings (2cm approx. and from the same egg sack) early next week.

My ultimate goal is to house the beasties in an 36"x18"x48" tall viv. Decor is planned as follows:

Polystyrene bark effect background
Several hanging silk plants
5 natural cork bark tubes, siliconed to the rear of the tank
2 or 3 live, potted ivy plants which will eventually replace the silk ones
3 - 4" shredded coco husk substrate - damp to help with humidity
250w ceramic heater and guard
Stat
Viv lock (!)
Standard non-UVA/B/C lights (Ivy in mind)

I'd appreciate it if any of you lovely people would offer advice on maintaining these delightful beasties from spiderlings through sub-adulthood into adulthood in a communal set-up.

My thoughts are they will switch to a semi-social society when conditions are less than optimal and done purely for self-preservation. Would a lower than ideal humidity (eg 65%) help promote this type of behaviour and reduce cannabalism, or is it better to provide similar seasonal conditions (within reason!!) as they would find in their natural environment?

I asume the males will mature first - this would make sense in the wild as they would then leave the "egg-family", helping ensure genetic diversity. Should any mature males be removed from the group to maintain "social harmony" or is it better to leave them be?

A pint of Guinness to the best answer drawn out of the hat.... or something {D

Mant thanks in advance,

Hairy

Hanes

Arachnosquire
From what I've heard and read I would be surprised if the majority of them make it to adulthood without cannibilisation

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they will switch to a semi-social society when conditions are less than optimal and done purely for self-preservation.
Self preservation in tarantulas pretty much involves making one very fat tarantula.

It can be done, although I believe it involves lots & lots of space.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've read the opposite, that keeping them in smaller quarters will help prevent them from forming territories, and getting defensive of them towards each other. Here's a vid of talkenlate04's P. regalis community being rehoused into a smallish container. No deaths, apparently and he's keeping 20 in there together.
[YOUTUBE]2Z4Uufdydeo[/YOUTUBE]

If you're planning to go the 'bigger enclosure' route, I'm guessing you need to go really, really big, with lots of interior landmarks/decorations to help define each of their territories as well as lots of feeders to keep cannibalism to a minimum.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for posting that vid, Hobo. I hadn't seen it before and it dives me an idea of what kind of dimensions to go for when I start my own (assuming I don't start hearing horror stories of these setups). Although I'd probably be soiling my pants when it comes to transferring although he didn't seem to have too much trouble aside from the one that decided to take a short stroll on him.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I've heard and read I would be surprised if the majority of them make it to adulthood without cannibilisation
Nah, regalis does fine kept together in close quarters.
I never had any problems.

Hanes

Arachnosquire
I've read the opposite, that keeping them in smaller quarters will help prevent them from forming territories
This is what I mean the OP has given each of the regalis a hide,therefore, correct me if I'm wrong , the opportunity to define itself a territory. I could be wrong and all could go well and the communal may even produce a few sacs

HairyCelt

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the input.
Intuitively I suspect that the cramped environment may well be the best way to house a community - there would be less chance of territorial conflicts and it would mimic the harsher conditions that might force the behaviour in the wild.

I think I'll keep 2 specimens singly and try the other 3 in a restricted space. The worst case scenario is that I lose 2 animals.

I'll still go for the large naturalistic viv once I have an adult female - I'll just house the one specimen.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've read the opposite, that keeping them in smaller quarters will help prevent them from forming territories, and getting defensive of them towards each other. Here's a vid of talkenlate04's P. regalis community being rehoused into a smallish container. No deaths, apparently and he's keeping 20 in there together.
[YOUTUBE]2Z4Uufdydeo[/YOUTUBE]

If you're planning to go the 'bigger enclosure' route, I'm guessing you need to go really, really big, with lots of interior landmarks/decorations to help define each of their territories as well as lots of feeders to keep cannibalism to a minimum.
nice video :)

Toeboe

Arachnopeon
I have a 5 P regalis community. It was 6 but one died in a bad moult. I have had them about 2 years from about 2cm.
4 of them are approx 8cm+ now and one is only about 3cm, a massive difference. I have kept them in close proximity with only one piece of cork bark. This is so they do not make their own territories.
I have only ever witnessed one instance of aggression, and that was over a cricket. When I feed them I give them plenty so there is no squabling. They are kept at about 60-70% humid and approx 24deg on dry peat with a watering every week or so. I have built arboreal tanks to suit their size and I'm currently making one to rehouse them in the next few weeks. If all goes well they will end up in a 12x12x18 exo terra.

HairyCelt

Arachnosquire
Well my beasties turned up a week ago - I opted to keep 2 singly and the other three in more confined conditions. All are feeding well - very well!!

One specimen has already doubled in size, while the others by maybe 1.5x

I think I'll be seperating all spiders over the next few weeks as I don't want to mimic the severe conditions that force these wonderful creatures to overcome their innate cannabalistic tendencies. (Just call me a pussy....{D)

The photos were taken the evening of their arrival (the white plastic tube has a 6mm diameter and the margin of a 2 pence piece can be seen on the first photo) - I'll get a couple more in the next few days.

Cheers all,

Hairy

Last edited:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The enclosures in that video, where do you order them from? or did you / he make them.