P. Regalis Care?

ErinE1

Arachnopeon
Hi! So this is my first old world tarantula, I bought it about a month ago but it’s still not eating? I’ve tried roaches and worms. I water her tank once a week. She’s always at the top corner of her enclosure or hanging out on the lid. Any suggestions? Is this normal? (Substrate looks super dry in photo, this is before I watered her enclosure)

Attachments

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Hi there! It looks like the enclosure has some problems that may be preventing your spider from settling in. The enclosure in the picture appears to be better suited to a terrestrial spider, there isn't enough height for an arboreal like a pokie. The mesh lid is also an issue, tarantulas are known to get their toe claws stuck in it, and that can lead to them dangling from one leg until they have to self-amputate and drop to the ground. The last problem I see is the decor, the foliage is good but the spider also needs firm footing like corkbark or other types of wood. I think you'll find that the spider settles in once these issues are addressed, and it will be much happier with a few small changes made! Best of luck

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
Hi there! It looks like the enclosure has some problems that may be preventing your spider from settling in. The enclosure in the picture appears to be better suited to a terrestrial spider, there isn't enough height for an arboreal like a pokie. The mesh lid is also an issue, tarantulas are known to get their toe claws stuck in it, and that can lead to them dangling from one leg until they have to self-amputate and drop to the ground. The last problem I see is the decor, the foliage is good but the spider also needs firm footing like corkbark or other types of wood. I think you'll find that the spider settles in once these issues are addressed, and it will be much happier with a few small changes made! Best of luck
What coolnweird said is 💯

cold blood

Staff member
I disagree about the height of the enclosure, these are not obligate arboreals like avics, they don't really need much height. But i do agree with the enclosure being problematic.

From a pokie standpoint, there isn't enough cover in the right places. Pokies tend to make their homes at ground level, so plants need to be concentrated more there than at the top. I would suggest leaning a large flat piece of wood in a manner that the t can not only climb on, but get under as well.

They do fine on the drier side, but they do appreciate dampness as well. But never add water on a schedule, instead add on an as needed basis.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
from your photo it looks like you have your Pokie in a terrestrial enclosure (Low and Long). It needs to be in an arboreal case with some height and a piece of bark tall enough it can hot dog on it. Your pokie has no place to hide out / call a home and is probably stressed, which would explain its behavior

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I disagree about the height of the enclosure, these are not obligate arboreals like avics, they don't really need much height. But i do agree with the enclosure being problematic.
Thank you for correcting me! I don't want to be giving people incorrect advice. I have never owned a pokie and had always seen them in taller enclosures. I will defer to your superior knowledge of the species!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
the problem is, Pokies like to stretch (hot dog) and they get big, so a forearm length full-grown adult Pokie needs some space. Smaller Box ExoTerra 8x8x12 holding an Avic. Exoterra 12x12x18 holding adult Pokie. Note Bark @ back

Attachments

ErinE1

Arachnopeon
Hi thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate you guys! Definitely getting new enclosure when she molts, for now I’m gonna add some plants & wood <3

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
You are welcome. The bark is key, you can angle it in the corner a bit so you can see your T better. Or you can use a Bark Tube. Your T will be harder to see, they will hang in their spot the majority of time, but are far more healthy and less stressed. Lots of local (SD) shops carry enclosures that will work.
12" x 12" x 18" Exoterra, with custom made acrylic Lid. To me these are pretty ideal for Pokies. I have a water dish up high and one on the floor. And with Pokies have a decent amount if dirt. Deep at the back than the front. Pokies will dig a burrow at the base of their log. Be prepared, Happy Pokies can be pet holes.

Attachments

Last edited:

ErinE1

Arachnopeon
Added some leaves, didn’t have a small enough cork bark. Is this ok? Or should I already buy a new enclosure? I plan on doing something about the net I just need to buy supplies :) also adding the leaves seems to have helped her settle in! She’s burrowed behind the bottom left leaf :) image.jpg

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Get rid of that mesh lid. See my recent post as to exactly why.

And listen to folks on here.it maybe humbling at times,but keep an open mind. Good advice about the enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator: