P. platus acting strange

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The past two days my P. platus has been climbing the glass and walking on her screen. I'm worried about her falling and hurting herself. Her cage is 9" cube and she is about 4" maybe a bit more. Any advice?

edit - ok, she's 5" LS and from the substrate to the top of the cage is 8". She's hangin out on the screen all sprawled out.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
perhaps you could add a little more substrate just to close up that height gap OR take a chance. I've seen lots of terrestrials take a fall from higher than that and not have an issue.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yeah, some of mine decided to act dumb and do that too... :wall: :wall: so i just added lots more substrate in 1, and rehoused the other into a shallower cage. cause i'm guessin you REALLY don't want to wake up and find your 5" T dead with a burst abdomen cause you didn't add substrate or change the cage...:embarrassed: also, if the T is hangin out on the walls and top a lot, check the moisture level and substrate. if there's something he/she doesn't like (for example: my rosea HATES water and will climb on walls and stay there till it dries...) they will climb on the walls or top and stay there.

oh- and you'll probably get a lot of the "add more substrate" response from people;)

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you, that is exactly the advice I was looking for. I'll add more substrate. I thought about the moisture thing, but she climbs when its dry. I think it may be a ventalation issue, the room I have my T's in is quite warm sometimes. I'll be relocating them soon. But untill then, I'll keep the room cooler and put in some more substrate. Thanks again for the help!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Thank you, that is exactly the advice I was looking for. I'll add more substrate. I thought about the moisture thing, but she climbs when its dry. I think it may be a ventalation issue, the room I have my T's in is quite warm sometimes. I'll be relocating them soon. But untill then, I'll keep the room cooler and put in some more substrate. Thanks again for the help!
:) no problem, and good luck!!