P. pederseni ?'s

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, I see alot of topics about what to start with and what to get for a first pokie. Well, I was in a local pet store picking up crickets last night when I noticed they got in some new T's so took a quick look. They have what looks like a 3" P. pedeseni for about $50 in one of the small AMAC display boxes, which is roughly about 2" x 2 " x 3.5" (possibly smaller) . I felt horrible for it and at first glance...I even thought there was two T's in there cause it is so cramped. The pokie literally takes up the whole enclosure and instantly reminded me of one of those ships in a bottle...

So....

I am considering going back up there to get it, but wanted to get some input as to anything I should be aware of first. I usually dont hear about too many people recommending it as a good first pokie. Does it have different (harder to keep) requirements, or is it more aggressive, defensive, flighty, skittish, nimble, than most of the others? Any characteristics that seem to be specific to the pederseni? It seems like everyone has a different idea of what is the faster or more aggressive pokie...and some people even tell me pokies just caught a bad wrap and aren't any worse than any other T. So...before I jump in with both feet...thought I should probably test the water and get some feedback from you veterans. The fastest and most aggressive I have right now are 2 P. cancerides @ 2"...would this pederseni be too large of a step forward into the "evil" T's?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pokies are so over-exaggerated in terms of their nature. Yes they're skittish and their venom is potent..

BUT!!

I own regalis and ornata and ime if they get startled, they run. They rarely stand and fight unless they have to. They're very quick.. but i've not had any escape and never had any problems, and i got my 2 when i was a beginner :)

I'd say get it and give it a go! You'll be pleasantly surprised :)

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People say they are not a beginner T but if you are mature enough to take good care of it then go for it. My formosa is my only real bugger she once tried to get me through the screen but now she has a good home and is nice. I say go for it. But remember respect the spider and the spider will 'respect' you.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
id say dont buy it.if u feel bad for it being in a tiny small enclosure complain to the management.by buying it your basicly just supporting them and they will stick another poec in that same contaner to replace this one

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
But remember respect the spider and the spider will 'respect' you.
That is a nice way to look it!

As long as we meet their needs and don't harass them, they are all fine.

And "evil"... I've met evil people, but never an evil spider. They are just defending themselves against the dangers they encounter.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
P. pederseni has about the same temperament as P. regalis in my opinion. They would be a good pokie to start with. Once established in their house they will most likely always choose the run and hide option when disturbed. They are fast, but really your P. cancerides is probably more defensive than a P. pederseni would be.

If you do some searches on care for P. regalis, the same would apply for P. pederseni. :)

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pokies are so over-exaggerated in terms of their nature. Yes they're skittish and their venom is potent..

BUT!!

I own regalis and ornata and ime if they get startled, they run. They rarely stand and fight unless they have to. They're very quick.. but i've not had any escape and never had any problems, and i got my 2 when i was a beginner :)

I'd say get it and give it a go! You'll be pleasantly surprised :)
Way over exaggerated. Definately a flight over fight species. Though there are individuals with attitides.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I respect my spiders and they have not done anything to me. Just get the spider and treat it well and you will be very pleased.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My two pokies hardly moved when I rehoused them... they ever so gently sauntered into their new homes... I have a rufilata and a miranda from Neu World. I am no expert on pokes but tarantulas are like a box of chocolates... you never know what youre gonna get........

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I put my P. regalis in her new home today and it was like herding sheep. If you can get a three incher for fifty bucks, I'd go for it. I was out of the hobby for years and I came back with two pokies, an ornamental baboon, purple pink toe and suntiger. And I can't wait for more.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first and only Pokie is a P. pedeseni. She's pretty easy going. Much better behaved than any of my OBT's!! She never attempts to escape when feeding or doing tank maintence. i had to rehouse her once and i had a heck of a time talking her into leaving her favorite log. i had her in the bathtub with nothing but that log and that silly spider was running laps so fast she was nothing but a blur. No way was she leaving her log. i was pretty intimidated at the time but she never gave any threat display. i am looking forward to more Pokies in the future and could definitely recomend a P. pedeseni based on the one i have. Go get your Pokie!! :D

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my very first T was a p regalis i bought her as a spiderling 3 years ago and got hooked on pokie ever since that day , none of my pedersenis are nasty they are very calm rather un and hide than bite , the more skittish pokies are ornata and rufilata , the rest are generally calm i dont know why they have a bad reputation

picture of my 8inch adult female and my big male with a 22cm leg span

Last edited:

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright everyone, thanks for your input and feedback.

I will go back up there on friday and hope it is still there. I have never been the type to sit back and complain, then just hope something get's done...so I would rather buy it and know it is being taken care of properly than just tell the manager (who probably wouldn't listen to me anyway).

You guys/gals have pretty much covered all of my questions. I was wondering a couple more things though...

What size do these guys get up to, and do they have any yellow ventral threat bands? I just remembered I noticed the yellow and that is immediately how I knew it was a pokie before I even saw the label on the tank. Also, I dont really see much (if any) webbing in the pics I see of them...so I assume aerial cover is their choice as opposed to web hideouts like avics? In the pics posted above there is a major color marking difference between the male and female. Is it common for the female to show more contrast in coloring and would it be noticable on a 3" pokie? If so, I think the one I saw is female...but I am just basing that on the look and color alone. I think that is all I can think of to ask for now...anything else and I will post it up..lol.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
What size do these guys get up to, and do they have any yellow ventral threat bands? I just remembered I noticed the yellow and that is immediately how I knew it was a pokie before I even saw the label on the tank. Also, I dont really see much (if any) webbing in the pics I see of them...so I assume aerial cover is their choice as opposed to web hideouts like avics? In the pics posted above there is a major color marking difference between the male and female. Is it common for the female to show more contrast in coloring and would it be noticable on a 3" pokie? If so, I think the one I saw is female...but I am just basing that on the look and color alone. I think that is all I can think of to ask for now...anything else and I will post it up..lol.
P. pederseni has white/black bands on the legs ventrally. On that species I don't think you would see any difference in sexes by just looking at it at that size. Pokies do web, but they tend to add all sorts of substrate into their webs making a hideout that way.

Here's a link to ventral pics so you can see the differences in their leg stripes.
http://www.froschlurche.de/Poecilotheria-ventral.jpg

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually pokies top out at 8 inches but rufilata or ornata can get to 9 inches. There is a pokie leg ID thread on here somewhere.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Usually pokies top out at 8 inches but rufilata or ornata can get to 9 inches. There is a pokie leg ID thread on here somewhere.

Thanks, but isn't the pederseni one of the smaller pokies? I didn't think it reached that size...

The link posted by Lorgakor: http://www.froschlurche.de/Poecilotheria-ventral.jpg is an excellent visual aid. I didn't know so many had yellow or traces of yellow on the ventral side.

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pokies are rather long legged in general, like he said, there are a few slightly larger ones like the Ornata, but overall they can all get around 8"... from what I've read...

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
Ha Ha!!!!

SOMEBODY IS GETTING ANOTHER SPIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL YEP YOU WERE RIGHT TO BUMP IT UP TO 30 T's LMAO!!!

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say mine is about 6 1/2 inches as an adult female.

Don't think they grow much bigger, not seen one very huge but they aren't the smallest of poecs, i was under the impression metallica was small. But then I could be wrong.

LMS