P. Ornata

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if you mean inches no...thats huge! if cm. then id say width and depth is fine, but height is a littl low.

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Most Definitely!
I would like to know what you would call adequate space then....:?

RichardLTU

Arachnopeon
damn, i'll need a converter:D coz i have no idea about inches:D it is cm:( sooo i have l3 ornata now - can i plan to keep it for myself?

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that's nearly 12". Its adequate but you could go bigger. Although P. ornata is one of the largest reaching up to 10", its rare that we see them get to this size. Apparently RobC has one at this size, I think its the one that bit him!

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would go a bit bigger. I have a regalis in a container with the same dimensions, and I'm going to upgrade in the near future. And regalis doesn't get quite as big as an ornata would.

Anyway, I think an adult P. ornata would be a little scary to do maintenance around in a container that size. I would want to give it a sufficient hiding place to go when it feels threatened.

That's my two cents. Really it boils down to your own opinion and preferences.

RichardLTU

Arachnopeon
the parts of my shelf are 30cm height and 30cm depth and i can't place the tank on the top of it:confused:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
and what about whole idea? is it ok to keep p. ornata for myself if i'm a begginer?:confused:
Pokies are not a good beginner tarantula for a number of reasons. They can be fast, defensive and there potent venom. They have a very painful bite, or so ive heard. :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so back to the topic, would fully grown ornata suffer in 30x30x30(CM!) terrarium?:D
you've had a fair enough amount of people post their experiences and reccomend you a bigger cage so manouvering in there during maintanence is less of an issue. in my limited experiences with P. regalis, P. ornata and P. pederseni, poecs will tend to hide first unless really provoked by their owners. of the three i would say the ornata is the boldest though, and gave me a bit of trouble during rehousings as a sling.

i err on the side of enclosures being larger, one because mine are still growing and two, because it limits contact by letting them hide when disturbed. i don't want to risk getting bit, being that poecs are on the nastier side of what can bite you in this hobby. (really, have you read the bite reports section yet?) with that said...

and what about whole idea? is it ok to keep p. ornata for myself if i'm a begginer?:confused:
we have no idea about your competency as a keeper, so asking if as a beginner if this is a good idea, people will probably say "NO". as said above they can be extremely fast, defensive, and potent.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A 30cm by 30 by 30 is NOT a good cage for any adult Poecilotheria.They are arboreals, they need vertical space.

I would do 30cmX30X 50-60cm.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get your point Fran, but in the UK most people would opt for a cereal tub for breeding - no more than 12" high, opaque plastic tub. At BTS expo you'd find loads sold like this, from people with loads of experience in pokies. Its what I had success with with 2 of my regalis females and tonight Ive found P. striata slings that are currently with mum (I was going to pull the sac tomorrow LOL).

It's certainly not the best display tank, its certainly not a real "arboreal" enclosure but it definitely works.

Ultimately, if you can provide larger then do so. But, as you can see everyone has different opinions and the majority of the time they all work :)

Out of interest, do you have any pix of your big enclosures Fran?

RichardLTU

Arachnopeon
i call myself a begginer, since i've got 8 spiders:D ornatas are so wonderful for me, i would make her a bigger tank, but i'm afraid of the venom:confused:

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As slings or juveniles I don't worry too much about rehousing - they're far more likely to move away although ornata can be stubborn and not move at all. An artists paintbrush to the back of the legs wil encourage them to move so gently stroke them out of the old enclosure and into the new. If you're not confident with that you can place the old enclosure inside the new and leave them to it, they'll eventually come out, or for the persistent tarantula I sometimes slowly flood the old enclosure - that's usually the quickest method but it doesn't work with some OW terrestrials.

RichardLTU

Arachnopeon
Just seconds ago i brought l3 ornata, l3 murinus and fully grown female albo:cool: any ideas about name for female albo?