P. Ornata

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
albo = Brachypelma albopilosum = Honduran/(Costa Rica) Curly Hair
I called one of min pop before, in the UK we affectionally call them albopops :)

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
IMHO if you feel ok with having one thats all that matters...I dont feel that any specific T is not for a beginner yea there is some that are a little slower thatn others and some with a bite thats not as bad as another but all in all like one other person said if you give a pokie a place to hide you will be alright 9 times out of 10 just watch out fot that one time....but if you really want one get one bc that want will not go away til you do.But pokies are awesome T's all mine are fairly docile being that they just hide when you are cleaning are watering. Mine are even ok with being handled thats not by choice but sometimes theres no other option...sorry ill stop rambling if u want it bad enough you will be ok just stay calm.

RichardLTU

Arachnopeon
i'm afraid that when spider will scary me - i will throw it somewhere:D my new albo is soo calm, she's walking on the keyboard now:p

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As slings or juveniles I don't worry too much about rehousing - they're far more likely to move away although ornata can be stubborn and not move at all. An artists paintbrush to the back of the legs wil encourage them to move so gently stroke them out of the old enclosure and into the new. If you're not confident with that you can place the old enclosure inside the new and leave them to it, they'll eventually come out, or for the persistent tarantula I sometimes slowly flood the old enclosure - that's usually the quickest method but it doesn't work with some OW terrestrials.
Good advise. But be careful about flooding a p ornata out. In nature they use holes filled with water and keep submerged for up till 20 minutes to avoid predators. But of course they will come up at some point, but if you dont know that fact, then you might be surprised;-)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I dont feel that any specific T is not for a beginner yea there is some that are a little slower thatn others and some with a bite thats not as bad as another but all in all like one other person said if you give a pokie a place to hide you will be alright 9 times out of 10
This is false as far as im concerned. Maybe you were "ready" as a beginner in the hobby but no everyone is fearless of spiders. What happends when someone new and unexperienced has a pokie run up there arm, and its the first spider they have ever owned or handled! :eek: I think most new people would freak out and end up injuring themself or your pet. There is a reason people that have never owned a big hairy defensive spider opt for a docile less potent T. If you make a newbie mistake and get bit by a Old world T in comparison to a New world bite you maybe taking time off of work and a doctors appointment rather than a "sting like" sensation.

I agree most pokies will hide most of the time, but i can tell you from first hand experience not all my pokies have backed down quietly. They have stood their ground when i opened there cage. I even had a few bolt up the wall because i took there water dish. If they feel threatened by you they can and will bite as a first defense. New world Ts use urticating hairs as a primary defense. Bottom line finding your self in a first time situation with a pissed off NW vs Pissed off OW is a big deal!!! Respect the venom. :cool:

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I honestly think that is WAY too small for a full grown Ornata as they get around 10" legspan as an adult. I have two ornata slings and I have two 18"x18"x24" ZooMed enclosures already lined up and waiting for them. With a spider with that potent of venom I would consider it a good idea to not slouch on space. The more space you get, the easier it will be to clean the enclosure without being in fear of getting tagged.

And please refrain from arguing about what is good/bad for beginners to get. To each his own. If you want one, get one (preferrably at least a sling if your new) so you can learn it's behavior prior to getting a big girl :D I was terrified of them less than a year ago and have 6 pokies, 1 obt, 1 L. Violaceopes, and a few Psalmo's. All are known to be fairly quick and defensive, but I have seen that though the pokies are quite fast, they are just wussies. Haven't caught a single threat pose from any of mine poke's and they are at least twice the size of the Psalmo's.

I catch a pose from the Cambridgei and the Suntiger each at least once a week. Sorry for rambling, just putting in my .02

RichardLTU

Arachnopeon
I have l3 ornata and 3x l3 murinus - murinuses are wayyyy more agressive:confused: even they are l3 it's hard to open the box, coz they're running out all the time:D and ornata is now slowly going somewhere on my table :D