P. Ornata sling

Daitengu

Arachnopeon
Got a P. Ornata sling here. Stoppedal eating last week and just wondered if you guys think it looks like it's in premolt...?
Didn't want to risk throwing in a cricket and it hurting it.

Also male or female? Is the sexual dimorphism apparent at this size?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

mistertim

Arachnobaron
OWs, especially OW arboreals, tend to be much harder to tell premolt than others but if it stopped eating its likely in premolt. You can always wait a couple days and try again and remove the prey if it isn't eaten. Probably too small to tell the sex. Not sure about sexual dimorphism traits in P. ornata. You better hope you don't get tagged by that thing, man. Intentionally handling a P. ornata is just asking for trouble.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
looks fairly premolt, try a prekilled cricket if youre wondering. you cant tell at that size.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's definitely in premolt.. As that T matures your going to notice a huge change in attitude.. In an instant that once shy little T that used to run from you when disturbing it will become bold standing it's ground and biting.. Kittens are for petting not poecilotheria sp.;)..

Daitengu

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice. I don't usually handle my Ts but as this thing is small and shy. I've heard stories of poecis temper and toxin potency so believe me when I say this is the last time it's going anywhere near me. I'm a tattooist so my hands are more valuable attached.

I'll give the dead cricket a go though!
Will post pics if it decides to molt.

:D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the advice. I don't usually handle my Ts but as this thing is small and shy. I've heard stories of poecis temper and toxin potency so believe me when I say this is the last time it's going anywhere near me. I'm a tattooist so my hands are more valuable attached.

I'll give the dead cricket a go though!
Will post pics if it decides to molt.

:D
Good call. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security with shy slings. Even OBTs are shy and tentative when they're little slings and we all know how that turns out. Read some Pokie bite reports if you want some extra motivation for keeping it away from your skin. :)

cold blood

Staff member
100% pre molt, don't feed it, just wait.

That thing isn't a little tiny sling, its got plenty enough punch and courage to keep you home from work for a week or two. I'm shocked any time we see people handling Poecilotheria, especially people who are perfectly aware of their strong venom.:banghead:

Daitengu

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help/ feedback everyone. She molted today and is definitely a female.

Thanks again