P.ornata sac!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think they're referring to the time between pairing of the male, and the dropping of the eggsac.
if that case, its totally false assumption
This year I had female that wasn't paired with male developed eggs, I couldnt find male for longest time and in last minute one of my friends overnight his oldest male that was over 10 months (I had nothing to loose at that point)
not even 5 min after I open shipping box he comming out drumming, paired with female with in less then 3 minutes, she sealed herself that same night and I got sac by morning, that was :eek:
it hatched and was valid
there you go to you all myth busters ;P

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
[:}QUOTE=Anastasia;1795599]Rob, what 40 days you taking about, I cant figure out :?[/QUOTE]From the first pairing with "the old MM" I sent you pics of, she then was paired up with a fresh MM a week later!

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

if that case, its totally false assumption
This year I had female that wasn't paired with male developed eggs, I couldnt find male for longest time and in last minute one of my friends overnight his oldest male that was over 10 months (I had nothing to loose at that point)
not even 5 min after I open shipping box he comming out drumming, paired with female with in less then 3 minutes, she sealed herself that same night and I got sac by morning, that was :eek:
it hatched and was valid
there you go to you all myth busters ;P
Ana LOL! It was just my opinion not a fact I was stating. :D

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rob, what 40 days you taking about, I cant figure out :?
From the first pairing with "the old MM" I sent you pics of, she then was paired up with a fresh MM a week later!

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Ana LOL! It was just my opinion not a fact I was stating. :D
in this case see my previous post
also do you know tarantulas often can produce sac with out been fertilized by male?
that means the can develop eggs with out presence of male
and
last but not least
males sperm have little to do with aging, not like fine wine or man, dont get good or bad with aging
I'll though I say better breed them when they fresher so they dont curl before female, that is the only reason

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just an analogy, but I'd like to see if you still felt that way if a UFO abducted you and took you to another planet, but left you an "opaque box" to live in vs shined a bright light in your bedroom window. I know which situation would stress me out more.
Let's stick a dumb tarantula brain in your head first so you think like a tarantula, then tell me if it stresses you out.

What you're doing is called 'anthropomorphizing'. Your analogy is flawed.

Just going by my records, last 3sacs under 40 days where not good,all others where, granted 1 of third was a double clutch. I did not however say all So....I have had Avics lay good sacs in 14 days.
Anastasia already covered this, and I completely agree with her.

Your thought process above...is interesting.

That's like saying because my last three children were boys, my next will be a boy too, even though every other child I had before that was a girl.

I guess I just see no reason to even post that you don't think the sac is good, other than to possibly cover your ass in case she eats it.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
Whoops! I totally missed those comments sorry I was rushing. Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your video :) Good luck with the P ornata sac, I hope you get tons of babies.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
Hey joe, maybe there is a reason and I'm missing it, but why is it ok for you to let a sling crawl on your aunts hand while your avic is on her elbow while someone has a camera in both spiders' faces, but its "stupid" for rob to video a sac being laid?

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
Let's stick a dumb tarantula brain in your head first so you think like a tarantula, then tell me if it stresses you out.

What you're doing is called 'anthropomorphizing'. Your analogy is flawed.

Her analogy is not flawed, being that any species of alien with a brain advanced enough to figure out interstellar space travel would look down on our brains the same way we look down on lesser species' brains as well.

I'm new here, but I can already tell that your logic is consistently flawed. What you are doing by criticizing rob for his camera work and others for shoving cameras in tarantula's faces, while there is a video of you where there is a camera pasted into the face of two tarantulas is an informal logical fallacy; it's called the Fallacy of Special Pleading.

I'm not looking to incite a semantical argument here, I'm just saying that if you have a problem with what somebody else is doing, look in the mirror before you post criticism.

Also, by calling a tarantula brain "dumb", you are also anthropomorphizing; just FYI.

Last edited:

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Rob, I totally missed this one. Glad you got a sac from this one after sacrificing two males to her. I didn't quite understand, was this the one that bit you, or the other one that hasn't dropped? If it's this one I hope she gives you lots of babies for your trouble at least. :D

To the above poster, the logic in that analogy is flawed because humans don't want the same things tarantulas want and vice versa. It is entirely possible that a tarantula will feel safer and more secure in a semi-opaque container with fewer stressful stimuli. (ICU's are usually opaque) That a human would not feel the same is irrelevant. And how do these things discussions always end up with aliens in them??

To Bengal, I believe the point you are missing is that Joe disagrees with such close filming and lighting of this particular process not because of what a human would call feeling invaded, but because he is concerned with the safety of the sac itself. (Without more information I don't agree or disagree at this point; I am only saying that I think you are arguing the wrong thing.) Stress can induce a tarantula to eat her sac.

I don't always agree with Joe, but at least he is honest and you know what he is thinking. I'd take a real opinion that I don't like over a sugar-coated nicety any day.

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
To the above poster, the logic in that analogy is flawed because humans don't want the same things tarantulas want and vice versa. It is entirely possible that a tarantula will feel safer and more secure in a semi-opaque container with fewer stressful stimuli. (ICU's are usually opaque) That a human would not feel the same is irrelevant. And how do these things discussions always end up with aliens in them??

I don't always agree with Joe, but at least he is honest and you know what he is thinking. I'd take a real opinion that I don't like over a sugar-coated nicety any day.
The argument could get extremely metaphysical really quick, but I'll leave it at the fact that we could be in a box as we speak, and all of this is just an experience of some a**hole controlling us like ants in an ant farm...

Also, I'm not disagreeing with anything that anybody says here. In fact, for the same reason you like Joe's comments I also enjoy his posts. He is extremely knowledgeable and honest. I really like that fact. All I'm saying is that in this instance he is being a little hypocritical. But we all fall into that trap at some point on a lot of things in life; we're only human. :)

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's like saying because my last three children were boys, my next will be a boy too, even though every other child I had before that was a girl.
Wow Joe how many kids you got? xD

I can only imagine them, and all your T's. That certainly is a lot of mouths to feed.

Last edited:

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
KnightinGale;1796051 To Bengal said:
I like honest opinions too, but here are the facts.

1. Joe posts a video up here where he has a camera inches from more than one T.
2. Less than a week later, he pisses all over a post by someone we all accept as knowledgeable and what most would call an expert in this hobby for doing the same thing, citing how "invasive" and "stupid" he is being.

This isn't a case of someone performing blatant poor husbandry of T's, and then getting offended when he's called out on it. Anyone who wants to debate that Rob doesn't know what he's doing, I'll just have to agree to disagree with. If documenting a T laying an eggsac on camera is wrong, I guess Rob is just wrong and we'll all have to deal with it.

I guess, retort if you want, but I'm finished derailing this thread further(if that's possible) I respect all of your opinions, including Joe's, even if I don't agree with them. We're obviously never gonna meet in the middle here.

Grats Rob! I hope to nab a few of these little guys from you if the sac works out.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like honest opinions too, but here are the facts.

1. Joe posts a video up here where he has a camera inches from more than one T.
2. Less than a week later, he pisses all over a post by someone we all accept as knowledgeable and what most would call an expert in this hobby for doing the same thing, citing how "invasive" and "stupid" he is being.

This isn't a case of someone performing blatant poor husbandry of T's, and then getting offended when he's called out on it. Anyone who wants to debate that Rob doesn't know what he's doing, I'll just have to agree to disagree with. If documenting a T laying an eggsac on camera is wrong, I guess Rob is just wrong and we'll all have to deal with it.

I guess, retort if you want, but I'm finished derailing this thread further(if that's possible) I respect all of your opinions, including Joe's, even if I don't agree with them. We're obviously never gonna meet in the middle here.

Grats Rob! I hope to nab a few of these little guys from you if the sac works out.
Joe wasn't the one with the video camera I don't think. Also, the T's were not laying a sack while the video was being taken. Do not call Rob an Expert. He is an Expert at having nice enclosures, I will give him that much, but that is about it. Even if the enclosure size is overkill. If you think Rob is an expert, you should go look up Anastasia's success at breeding.

Edited.

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what i don't understand in all of this..is why everyone cares so much? these are Rob's spiders he's posting about..not yours, mine, joe's, steve's or carl's..
what harm is he causing? what do any of you care if this ornata happens eat her sac? are any of you going to lose anything because of it? or is it just the stupid satisfaction someone will have if in a few weeks he posts that she has eaten it? if thats the case then wow, you guys belong in grade school.

time to hop down off your high horses, it's really pathetic now.."whhhaaaaaaaaa, rob posted a video of a tarantula creating an eggsac....whaaaaaaaa" see how stupid that sounds?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I think there is a certain amount of subconscious jealousy about Rob's success both as a breeder and a youtuber.

I have never met the guy in real life but I like him. I also like his dog Titus and his son Brandon(right?). YouTube does this, people you have never met and probably will never meet becomes oneway friend of a sort.

But I can confidently say that Rob's videos, even if they cause some eaten sacs(or more likely not), attract more positive attention to the hobby and I like him more for this. Of course these are just my humble opinions. To each his own...

Last edited:

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
I think there is a certain amount of subconscious jealousy about Rob's success both as a breeder and a youtuber.

I have never met the guy in real life but I like him. I also like his dog Titus and his son Brandon(right?). YouTube does this, people you have never met and probably will never meet becomes oneway friend of a sort.

But I can confidently say that Rob's videos, even if they cause some eaten sacs(or more likely not), attract more positive attention to the hobby and I like him more for this. Of course these are just my humble opinions. To each his own...
+1

Let's let Rob's thread remain Rob's, and let him continue to entertain and inform the general public about our love for spiders. :clap:

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
Joe wasn't the one with the video camera I don't think. Edited.
That's pretty irrelevant. Whoever was doing the videotaping obviously had Joe's blessing to do so. It's the same thing. Surely you aren't this dumb, right? I'm also not saying "Rob is the ALLTIME GREATEST BREEDER EVER, NOBODY IS BETTER" I'm just saying he's really good and proven at breeding, especially pokies.

Last edited: