P. ornata refusing food

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just bought my first Poecilotheria sp. at arachnocon 2007 and i just had a quick question...

she had been refusing food for the first week after i got her and i was starting to get a bit worried...then she molted and that eased my mind a little...but it's been a while now since the molt and she's still refusing food...

the spider is about 3-4 inches and i have her in a 2 and a half gallon terrarium...she has cork bark to climb on and the substrate is a mixture of coconut fiber, bark, vermiculite, and a small amount of sand...it's a pre-mix i bought called "Jungle Bed" and i've recently switched most of my spiders and scorpions onto this stuff and they seem to enjoy it quite a bit...

so my question is this: do you think my P. ornata refusing to eat could be environmental? and if so what would be a better setup for her?

also if the problem isn't her enclosure what could be causing the loss of appetite and what can i do about it? any and all advice would be most welcome:)

thanks

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you’re jumping the gun just a little bit. Give it another week then offer food again. The bigger they get the longer the time is between the molt and that first feeding. I doubt she is going to die from not eating less then three weeks 3 weeks after a molt. Barely two weeks actually if your timeline is correct.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think you’re jumping the gun just a little bit. Give it another week then offer food again. The bigger they get the longer the time is between the molt and that first feeding. I doubt she is going to die from not eating less then three weeks 3 weeks after a molt. Barely two weeks actually if your timeline is correct.
Yea dont even worry about it because of a Rose hair (grammastola) can go without eating for up to a year and a half or more yours will be fine for two or so weeks

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long has it been since the moult? Tarantulas have to dry and harden, specifically their fangs and the parts of the stomach, and other body parts that have to do with eating before they can eat again. With a large tarantula, drying can take up to a week.
Your tarantula might also just be stressed, going to a new home, moulting, all in just a few weeks is quite stressful. Give your T a couple of days, leave it alone, and then offer food again.
Your T's environment sounds fine. Relax, I'm sure once your ornata settles in it will eat. Both of mine are little piggies.
Welcome to arachnoboards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
make sure it has access to drinking water. this is more important than eating right away

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated...and yeah i probably am overreacting a little...i always get a little protective when i get something new...especially when it's something i've been wanting for a long time;)

i just wanted to make sure i wasn't inadvertantly mistreating her and from what you've all said here i feel a whole lot better...so thanks once again and i'll keep an eye on her and try feeding again in a few days:)

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Ornatas eat non-stop unless they are about to molt, then they might not eat for a few weeks...