P. ornata death

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Kipling, one of my male P. ornatas, died after a bad molt. I started to suspect that something was wrong when I didn't see him for about a week after I knew that he molted. He was usually very active and hungry following a molt. I trusted my gut instincts and moved around his cork bark/ dug through the substrate. Sadly I found that he had passed after molting. It was very sad and a huge disappointment. I originally had plans to send him off for breeding to help contribute to the species. I know that things like this happen sometimes, but I can't help but blame myself. I've had a few bad molts happen over the years, and almost all of them have occurred during winter. It makes me wonder if there are common environmental factors that contribute. I took extra care to always keep him well fed, provide fresh water, and keep the substrate somewhat moist with good ventilation. His sacmate, Mowgli, in contrast is thriving. The situation just really sucks. My fiance has pinned him into position and is going to cast him in resin so that I can continue to admire his beauty even though he's gone. It takes the sting out of the loss a little bit.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'm sorry for the loss :(. Best laid plans, ya know? Winter is usually the time for bad molts unfortunately.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I keep a space heater going in my room 24/7 and make sure all my Ts have access to a water dish. My T seladonia and my second female O. Violaceopes are giving me mini heart attacks with how long they have been in premolt though.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry for your loss friend! It never gets easier! But it’s clear you cared for it deeply!

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Sorry for your loss ( if you are looking to preserve him, cut open the abdomen with a scalpel remove the organs and other mushy stuff inside the abdomen until its empty, than stuff it with cotton and superglue it shut, than get a Styrofoam sheet and pin the tarantula in a position and seal it inside an airtight container with silica beads to keep it dry, later ( about 1 month) unpin the spider and glue it inside a frame to admire for the rest or your life )

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
It's so hard to loose a beloved pet. It sounds like there was really nothing you could have done as he had hidden to molt. I'm sorry for your loss. :.-{

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've had a few bad molts happen over the years, and almost all of them have occurred during winter. It makes me wonder if there are common environmental factors that contribute.
Yeah, a combination of drier winter air and having some form of heating on can cause things to dry out much faster than usual which can increase the likelihood of your tarantulas suffering from dehydration (which can then impact a tarantula's ability to moult successfully).