P.ornata communal

CombiChrist

Arachnopeon
Does anybody have some experience in trying to keep P.ornata communal ?
If so, care to share it ? If it went wrong, what happened and why ?

At the moment I I've got 7 together in a curver box to grow up and I'd love to try keeping them communal...

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found these to be the east communal Pokie, after success with miranda, regalis, rufilata, striata, pederseni and subfusca.

Out of my 3 communities of ornata of 4 in each only one survived as a community which survived til maturity. The other 2 classicly resulted in 1 fat T.
I have no idea why one worked and the other didnt, nor why ornata is renowned for cannabilism in captivity. Pokie communities are found in the wild so perhaps its specific to the habitat of ornata that reduces their need to live as a community eg. higher humidity or the food source is so meak that cannabilism supports their diet.
I'd be keen to hear other peoples experience as its something I'd like to try again.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also started with an ornata communal around last year June. The slings were hatched out from one of my females and lived together from the start. As of last week, I now have 1 fat spider left out of the original 7. Also have no idea why it failed. :(

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I also started with an ornata communal around last year June. The slings were hatched out from one of my females and lived together from the start. As of last week, I now have 1 fat spider left out of the original 7. Also have no idea why it failed. :(
Because they aren't really communal . . . . at best, they might be considered tolerant, but you'd have to keep the conditions optimal at all times.