P Ornata breeding risk?

Addam

Arachnopeon
I have a question for yall. I have a male p. Ornata I would like to stud for the weekend to a fellow keeper who has a female. But its my dads male and he reeeally loves him and is apprehensive. How big of a risk is it that he gets eaten and i never see him again? I.e. how aggressive is this species' mating ritual?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I have a question for yall. I have a male p. Ornata I would like to stud for the weekend to a fellow keeper who has a female. But its my dads male and he reeeally loves him and is apprehensive. How big of a risk is it that he gets eaten and i never see him again? I.e. how aggressive is this species' mating ritual?
There's always a chance of a male getting eaten by female, whether the female is fed well or not. But feeding a female up before breeding helps reduces the chances of a male being a meal which everyone should do before breeding any tarantula. If it's not your male, why not just ask your father first? Overall the chances of a male being eaten is quite slim if the female is fed well and if the breeder has experience with breeding tarantulas.

AracnoDreams

Arachnopeon
Lol... I think it might be to risky for your dad ... when we trade our males away for breeding trades we hope for a 50/50 trade and it refers to 50 percent of the possible egg sack being yours but having done the trade thing a many times I find that it should refer to the 50/50 chance you'll loose you male ... but I have heard that Poecilotheria are more tolerant of there breeding Partners ....it's really a chance call in any case .... but to be fair the thing is about that male doesn't have much longer Before he's gone ... when breeding trade at least you have the possibility of the 50/50 ??? Pick your odds

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Poecilotheria are usually very tolerant of their males and cannibalism happens less often with them during pairing attempts - however, P. ornata are known to be the least tolerant among Poecis (at least under normal circumstances as slings will start to cannibalize sac mates at 3rd instar), so keep that in mind. No one can give you any certain statistics on his likelihood of survival, but I would say it's better stakes than average since we are talking Poecilotheria. Odds will be better if your friend with the female has experience breeding.

I want to add in that P. ornata is one of the Poecilotheria species currently affected by being placed on the ESA - we can no longer sell them across state lines, and all imports are closed. So what you have available in your state is it. If people who have the ability to breed these species don't, you could very well see that species become nonexistent in your state. And while that also means that moving those slings may be harder (or non-profitable if whoever gets the slings is feeling particularly giving, as the sale of these species is prohibited but you are allowed to move them over state lines if no money exchanges hands), I think it's important to make sure we're trying to breed what we got in order to keep this species around in the US hobby.

But that's just my 2 cents, and I understand your dad being scared of losing his T to a feisty female.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I want to add in that P. ornata is one of the Poecilotheria species currently affected by being placed on the ESA - we can no longer sell them across state lines, and all imports are closed. So what you have available in your state is it. If people who have the ability to breed these species don't, you could very well see that species become nonexistent in your state. And while that also means that moving those slings may be harder (or non-profitable if whoever gets the slings is feeling particularly giving, as the sale of these species is prohibited but you are allowed to move them over state lines if no money exchanges hands), I think it's important to make sure we're trying to breed what we got in order to keep this species around in the US hobby.
Unless something has changed recently that I dont know of, sale of ESA species are only prohibited across state lines, not in state. The only way they can cross state lines is either as a bona fide gift where one party receives nothing in return or as a breeding loan. I agree wholeheartedly with everything else in your viewpoint and we really all need to be thinking this way if we're going to keep these species in the trade or even existing in some cases. Circling back to the OP, I think your dad should consider that his favorite guy's lifespan is almost up and letting him have a chance at his main goal in life will give your dad a chance to keep his lineage going strong and get a few of his offspring to raise up and keep around in remembrance instead of a few old molts and a carcass.

It's certainly a risk and it's not my call, but my opinion is it's a calculated risk that should be taken.

Thanks,
--Matt

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Unless something has changed recently that I dont know of, sale of ESA species are only prohibited across state lines, not in state. The only way they can cross state lines is either as a bona fide gift where one party receives nothing in return or as a breeding loan. I agree wholeheartedly with everything else in your viewpoint and we really all need to be thinking this way if we're going to keep these species in the trade or even existing in some cases. Circling back to the OP, I think your dad should consider that his favorite guy's lifespan is almost up and letting him have a chance at his main goal in life will give your dad a chance to keep his lineage going strong and get a few of his offspring to raise up and keep around in remembrance instead of a few old molts and a carcass.

It's certainly a risk and it's not my call, but my opinion is it's a calculated risk that should be taken.

Thanks,
--Matt
I know, that's why I said this
we can no longer sell them across state lines,
And while that also means that moving those slings may be harder (or non-profitable if whoever gets the slings is feeling particularly giving, as the sale of these species is prohibited but you are allowed to move them over state lines if no money exchanges hands)
;)

But it does help to specify that in-state sales are completely legal, and in a larger state like Texas probably a bit easier to find in-state buyers. :)

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I know, that's why I said this

;)

But it does help to specify that in-state sales are completely legal, and in a larger state like Texas probably a bit easier to find in-state buyers. :)
Ahh I only caught the second part referencing sales. My fault.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
It's good; we all speed-read every now and then :rofl:
Guilty as charged lol. As long as we're being specific, in terms of the spider crossing state lines as a gift, it's not just cash that cant be exchanged, it's anything including a trade. It has to be a genuine gift, with nothing in return. Just want to make that clarification for everyone reading as our ability to keep animals like these relies on everyone knowing and abiding by the laws. Sorry to nitpick, just being thorough. I've had to do a deep dive into these rules and regulations as I'm actively seeking ornata and subfusca.

Thanks,
--Matt

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Guilty as charged lol. As long as we're being specific, in terms of the spider crossing state lines as a gift, it's not just cash that cant be exchanged, it's anything including a trade. It has to be a genuine gift, with nothing in return. Just want to make that clarification for everyone reading as our ability to keep animals like these relies on everyone knowing and abiding by the laws. Sorry to nitpick, just being thorough. I've had to do a deep dive into these rules and regulations as I'm actively seeking ornata and subfusca.

Thanks,
--Matt
No need to apologize for "nitpicking", those are very important details I failed to mention. No tit-for-tat with these guys at all if you're moving them out of state, only gifting. Pretty sure iirc you wouldn't even be able to send one in an order as a freebie, since the other spiders were paid for and they'd still consider that as money exchanging hands in order to procure that T.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
No need to apologize for "nitpicking", those are very important details I failed to mention. No tit-for-tat with these guys at all if you're moving them out of state, only gifting. Pretty sure iirc you wouldn't even be able to send one in an order as a freebie, since the other spiders were paid for and they'd still consider that as money exchanging hands in order to procure that T.
Bingo, your exactly right regarding the freebie. The dealer profits off the ESA species because your buying other spiders to get that ESA animal.