P. ornata AF enclosure?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Getting a 7-8" P. ornata female tomorrow and I'm figuring out what to keep her in. I got a 12x12x24 Exo Terra but I'm thinking maybe a 12x12x18 would be better? Let me know what you think if you've got experience with these guys, thank you.

Last edited:

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
I have a sling at the moment but I think the 12x12x18 would probably be the best choice. You could really go all out with a nice piece of cork tube and really give it that jungle feel. Be careful of mesh top lids there notorious for harming ts

NukaMedia Exotics

NukaMedia Exotics

12x12x18 is what I'd go with for AFs of any species that reaches 7" or more.
Probably would've been smart and saved space but I was thinking 8" is only a third of 24" so it can't be too much space, looks like its definitely not taking up a third of the wall though lol. Oh well hopefully this girl gets to 10" or so to use up as much of the room as possible.

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Wow that looks great. I've noticed not alot of ppl use a background for their enclosures. I only use them when it's not a full 360 view of the specimen with the hide usually around the middle but that looks great!

It's awesome to see a bigger one then my little sling atm. Will be amazing to watch them grow!

Congrats dude

NukaMedia Exotics

Wow that looks great. I've noticed not alot of ppl use a background for their enclosures. I only use them when it's not a full 360 view of the specimen with the hide usually around the middle but that looks great!

It's awesome to see a bigger one then my little sling atm. Will be amazing to watch them grow!

Congrats dude
Thanks, apparently this girl is only 3 years old so they grow fast. The background it came with looked pretty bad and I figured without it I could still peek at the T if it hides in the cork bark all the time.

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Quite roomy but I'm sure she'll wander the space at night when she's active. IIRC the larger enclosure comes with the double doors while the 12x12x18 only has the one, right? A little less sketchy having to open only one half than the entire front face of the enclosure lol.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Na, that has double doors too, you're thinking of the 8x8x12 one
Either that or I'm thinking of a different brand. I have my AF S. calceatum in a 12x12x18 enclosure that has the single front-opening door in addition to the removable lid up top. Can't remember the name of the brand though, one of the popular ones.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Either that or I'm thinking of a different brand. I have my AF S. calceatum in a 12x12x18 enclosure that has the single front-opening door in addition to the removable lid up top. Can't remember the name of the brand though, one of the popular ones.
ZooMed?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ornata gets big so I think this is plenty enough space. I would cover the back pane of glass with black paper or some jungle motive if it is not standing against a wall. It'll make her feel more secure and really adds a nice background for her patterns :)

NukaMedia Exotics

Ornata gets big so I think this is plenty enough space. I would cover the back pane of glass with black paper or some jungle motive if it is not standing against a wall. It'll make her feel more secure and really adds a nice background for her patterns :)
I might do the black paper though the back is like an inch from a white wall, thanks for the idea.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I rather like the cork tile backgrounds myself. I like them because it helps make a cork slab be a better hide (light not getting in/more enclosed space), really shows off the wondrous camouflage of Poecilotheria, and lastly, I feel it’s a better climbing surface when they’re close to a molt.

I think they make an 18x24 tile, so with some modification it could fit.

That all said it’d be a pain at this point and the black paper would be much easier.

Last edited:

NukaMedia Exotics

I rather like the cork tile backgrounds myself. I like them because it helps make a cork slab be a better hide (light not getting in/more enclosed space), really shows off the wondrous camouflage of Poecilotheria, and lastly, I feel it’s a better climbing surface when they’re close to a molt.

That all said it’d be a pain at this point and the black paper would be much easier.
I hadn't seen that before I did find it on Google though, that would be the best background option if I could try to cut it to size. Thanks for the suggestion.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Totally agree with this for aesthetics and hiding, but aren't those the background that Poecilotheria gnaw on and hide behind?

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Totally agree with this for aesthetics and hiding, but aren't those the background that Poecilotheria gnaw on and hide behind?
I’m pretty sure the ones that get chewed through are the foam ones that come with the enclosure.

In addition to that, at least with Exo Terra, they have two long cutouts in the back, where a spider, or more likely a feeder, has plenty of room to explore/hang out in (although I don’t believe that was intentional).

Last edited: