P. Muticus broken leg

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Glad AB is back!

Ok. So I promise, I've searched & I've reviewed old posts. I'm looking for some opinions & situation specific advice here... I awoke those morning to discover that my 5" Female KB has a break at the tibial-metatarsal joint on the 4th leg. There was some still moist hemolymph at the site, with substrate caked to it. About an hour later, it appeared that most of the hemolymph had dried, however it was difficult to tell due to the clump of substrate that did still look moist at that point. A small bead of hemolymph was present at the site. She is not favoring it, rather just standing on it while its bent at this gross 90 degree angle. She is not sluggish & spent a great while laying web & cleaning her palps after I noted the break.

A little history: she is in premolt, she will not eat (and only has done so once in the approximate 4 months that I've had her), she does not appear dehydrated, I have seen her drink on 2 occasions.

Now, she's a KB so she's a pethole (I still don't have a clue how she even did this) & she does not appreciate attention from me or my paintbrush... In order for me to monitor it, I would have to either stick her in an ICU OR prod her to turn around (therefore making her angry & possibly causing increased bleeding)

So... would you, most experienced hobbyists :worship:, suggest that I:

1) Put her in an ICU, at least for observation?
OR
2) Leave her alone & hope that she either takes care of it herself or molts soon?

Finally, in the event that it does need furthur intervention- would it be your preference to seal the wound or amputate completely? (I've read conlicting posts, some say sealing is enough, some say amputation seems to heal better)

Thanks!

-Jenn

Blaze

Arachnopeon
i'd personally let nature take its course on this one. doesnt seem to be something fatal to her, so an ICU seems to be a bit of an overreaction. think about it, T's have been around A L O T longer than we've been keeping them. and they've survived... so just let nature take its course on this one.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would wait and see what the animal does. More than likely, if it's a problem the animal will remove the leg itself. If you see any indication you should get involved, then do so. Moving the animal around and stressing it in an ICU will force the subject. You might want to have some tools around in case you need to help remove the leg. I've seen it done with a leatherman by simply holding the leg very firmly.

There are at least half a dozen other discussion boards available, having the largest go down is not the end of the hobby, nor your access to knowledgeable people.

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies! Well, I've caught a few glimpses at the leg since then and the bleeding appears to have subsided.

Hemostats, forceps & Dermabond are on hand if needed as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for that molt.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies! Well, I've caught a few glimpses at the leg since then and the bleeding appears to have subsided.

Hemostats, forceps & Dermabond are on hand if needed as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for that molt.
Are you able to post pictures of the leg in question?

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
I do have a photo of the leg when I initially noticed the injury (gnarly) on my camera, will try to get one of the leg in its current state and upload them ASAP.

Still looks dry, the caked substrate on it is definitely dry at this point. Still bent at that sickening angle. It still doesn't seem to be affecting her in the slightest, thankfully.

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I would have to agree with option 2 on this one. Just let everything heal on its own. Let the T take care of itself here. I'm sure everything will be fine. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I first thought when described. He/she is absolutely gorgeous though! Congrats on that. Too bad there aren't pet shows for Tarantulas. Dogs get em. :(

Apollo Justice

Arachnoknight
I woludnt worrie too much my Avic Amazonica gay a damaged leg durin shipment and she ended up biting it off like it was nothing and Shes fine now

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
*update*

Ugh. This is a bummer. To this point, she still has not eaten & her abdomen has been starting to look wrinkled. Some oozing at joints noted a week or so ago, figured she'd molt soon. Today...

645am: Headed out the door for work- look in her burrow & she's molting! Think, "Awesome, she can take care of that leg and get back on track."

4pm: Return from work & she is out of her burrow on her left side- with the bum leg stuck. Move her to gain access for removal of leg, no response whatsoever. Snip, leg gone. No bleeding. Ok... Reposition her, still unresponsive & floppy. Remove exo from tank, tug hard & remove stuck portion out of exo, tip of leg remains. Portion removed is shrunken & wet (see second photo). Confirm female.

715pm: No movement whatsoever. Her abdomen is very dark, as is her [badly bent] left 4th leg. Her carapace looks odd. Substrate moist, tank covered & in quiet place. Fingers remain crossed.

Attachments

Last edited:

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Status remains unchanged... No movement or response to stimuli. Abdomen dark without change in shape. No odor present. Probably dead, awaiting move to freezer.

*Sigh*

:mad:

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Day 3:

Lucifera has been determined to be deceased.

Mild odor present, abdomen slightly deflated. Fangs remain white. Abdomen & legs dark. A few fruit flies present on the body.

Major bummer.

If she casts well, she will at least make a nice (expensive) paperweight.

Last edited:

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a bummer -- I'm sorry. :( She was beautiful.

Can I assume that, in the case of a spider not removing a severely damaged limb like this, it's better to amputate it before the next molt?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to heat about your situation. You should have amputated the whole leg before she bled out to death. Usually Ts amputate their legs when its damage like this. I amputate mine when they are too weak to do it themselves and they recover from it.

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys.

Can I assume that, in the case of a spider not removing a severely damaged limb like this, it's better to amputate it before the next molt?
I guess so... I wish I would have amputated the leg when the initial injury occured.

Sorry to heat about your situation. You should have amputated the whole leg before she bled out to death. Usually Ts amputate their legs when its damage like this. I amputate mine when they are too weak to do it themselves and they recover from it.
I also wish I would have been able to intervene during the molt & prevent it going awry, sadly I was at work.

Oh well, live & learn I suppose.