P. Murinus

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the problem lies in not understanding Ts in general, and your own personal comfort level. A agro species should NOT be anyone's first T. No way, that's for sure. Nor a second I believe. I got my OBT as my third T. But I have a pretty vicious rosea, so I learned from that and gained my comfort from that experience. It's really a personal comfort level, if you feel that you're ready, then young Jedi, you are ready. One way to learn, and that is to make mistakes, and experience things. Wait, that's two ways...
The biggest problem with P. murinus is the speed and the venom. There are plenty of aggressive NW tarantulas available.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You got me there. =O Speed + Venom > Fangs + Mad Uriticating Hairs? I guess so. =D

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love my new little baby. I just woke up this morning and went to check on her and she had crawled out of her on container and was just chillin on the wall of the tank. So I reached in and got the old one out and she barely even cared, it was way too easy.
I'm sittin in the closet with her now (ha), she's soooo active! I'm very proud of my purchase.
Oooh! And also, I got to look at her little molt skin, I haven't completely checked it out yet, and I'm not very good at sexing.
Anyways, I love my new T :D

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I usually just leave the vial in the cage until they leave it of their own accord (like you did). No need to evict them before they are ready to move, right? It also sounds like it is rather small and they are much less aggressive/defensive when they are under an inch or so.
To sex an exuvium of a smallish sling you will likely need a good magnifying glass or a dissecting microscope. If you are willing to spend a couple hundred dollars (the price of 1-3 adult T's) you can find decent microscopes on e-bay.
I work in a lab so I get my scope time for free, but I still want one of my own.
Spar
I love my new little baby. I just woke up this morning and went to check on her and she had crawled out of her on container and was just chillin on the wall of the tank. So I reached in and got the old one out and she barely even cared, it was way too easy.
I'm sittin in the closet with her now (ha), she's soooo active! I'm very proud of my purchase.
Oooh! And also, I got to look at her little molt skin, I haven't completely checked it out yet, and I'm not very good at sexing.
Anyways, I love my new T :D

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine has always been good, unless I disturb her, then she becomes very defensive.

I had to change her substrate today; needless to say it was a stressfull experience, dealing with a T, so quick, and defensive.

However, the move went well, no interesting notes to make.

She seems to like the new decorations I provided giving her more places to hide.

Now, it's time for a feeding!

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have two and i love them. they're beautiful and they have such nasty dispositions. plus they're super cheap and easy to care for (with the possible exception of rehousing).

i don't think any of the aggressive tarantulas i've had have been that hard to deal with. the only problem i had was packing up my male lividium to ship, which about gave me a heart attack. but i have yet to see a tarantula that wants to get out of its enclosure to bite, rather than stay in and hide or take up a defensive position. i think a tarantulas defensiveness is really only a factor during cage transfers and how careful you have to be during its feeding and enclosure cleanings.

i really don't think docile species will "prepare" you for an OBT. docile or slower moving T's are like night and day compared to an obt or a haplopelma etc. the only thing that will really prepare you for them is doing a lot of reading on how to do proper container transfers, having the necessary tools for the job, and then the actual experience. i guess they probably aren't the ideal first tarantula, but they wouldn't be a terrible first tarantula for a responsible and well prepared individual.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
reaching into OBT Tank?

I hope that when you said you "reached in" and took out the old container, you were referring to tongs, and not your hands? If you're not using tongs, get some asap. Putting bare hands into OBT tank will be the single most effective way to experience OBT venom! SOmetimes they just sit there and look at you, and sometimes they charge you, slap your tongs, bite your tongs, or run up your tongs. And yes, it's a good idea to do transfers/cage maintenance in the bathtub (drain plugged). If your OBT comes flying out of the cage, it will be contained in the bathtub (most of the time!). T's have a hard time climbing clean porcelain, so it would make rehousing easier. Good luck, I love these t's!

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it decides to leave the cage while your hands in there, It will be downstairs before you can say *oh sh*t! Fast does not describe them :)