P. murinus (usambara)

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i nee some care info regarding the P. murinus gona drive to lllreptiles sunday. A quick response would be great.

thnx for your help

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. murinus is pretty easy to care for. They are quite speedy and willing to bite, though, so long-handled tweezers and forceps are useful for prodding the spider from a distance or removing prey remains. This is not a spider to be handled and you want to be cautious in general, and keep your hands away from the spider. Maintenance is simple, provide a water dish and an inch or two of dry substrate and maybe some kind of hideaway for it to start its retreat with. They usually web quite a lot and once they have a secure hiding place they become much easier to deal with as they will spend most of their time inside it and usually will retreat into it if the tank is disturbed.

Adrian

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd suggest a semi-arboreal set-up if you can possibly do so. They are semi-arboreal Ts and will either web up high or burrow. I would give it at least 4-5" of substrate to burrow and at least 5" above as well, with a small peice of cork bark leaning against one of the sides. This can also be used as a hideout. Adrian is right that they will VERY READILY bite, and not just once, either. They are ferociously swift and irritable. However they are not a bit aggressive, only defensive. If bothered they will retreat into and defend their burrow or "hammock" and will not move unless you move them. (which I wouldn't recommned unless absolutely necessary). I make it out to be a horror show but I would rather you be over prepared than under because their bites are highly venomous and it really sucks when you get bitten...lol. They are worth every part though because they are very beautiful Ts. Just treat them with respect.

Marcus

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol ill take your guys' word for it! i doubt im gonna keep my hands in there at all. As for the semi-aboreal setup you just lean the cork bark in a carner and it will make a hammock? Also about how long does it take inbetween molts, ive heard it was a once a year.

thanx again for your help. As soon as i buy one ill try to post pics.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So far mine has molted twice and I've had it less than a year, but really it varies on temp., how much they eat, and so forth. And as for the cork bark, it all depends on the T. Usambaras are VERY odd little creatures. Mine will be in the air for a few months and in a burrow the next few months. That's why I say give him a choice whether to burrow or to hammock. But yes, if it decides to be arboreal it will hammock between the bark and the side of the enclosure. I would strongly recommend placing it against a corner, so that he/she can use it as a hideout if necessary. This way also if he/she decides to burrow or hammock either way it will be in the corner against the glass where you can see it. :)

Marcus

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Paladin,
Are you getting a sling or what?
Slings molt very often. I have 5 and they've molted twice in 3 months, and tripled in size. They can grow from sling to adult, I've heard, in 18 months or so.
If your getting slings, you might want to get a few. So you have a better chance of getting a female,IMO.

Ernie

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i sent an email to LLLreptiles and the said that it will be 2-3"...

what dimensions will my terrarium be with the semi-aborial setup?

what should the feeding schedule be?

thanks for your help

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As for the setup I'm not sure of exact dimensions. My Usambara is stuck being a forced burrower right now because I don't have the liberty of aquiring a tall cage due to apt. inspections. Just note that it is good for the Tarantula to have at least 2 1/2- 3 times its own size in floor space to move around. A lot of times they won't use it, but I don't like my Ts being constrained and my Usambara is one of the only ones that actually does wander around a bit. In matters of height at that size I would give it at least 4" to burrow and about 5 or 6" above ground. You can always either build your own tank with your custom measurements or you can aquire a PetPal and turn it on its side, (though I wouldn't recommned with the amount of substrate needed to burrow), or you can find containers at Walmart and such to use. I treat my Ts as more of a pet and not just a hobby so I give them plenty of room. You may differ in opinion but if you have the room use a larger setup because as your T grows you won't have the necessity of aquiring a larger tank. It will just grow into what you already have for it.

As for feeding, I feed mine twice a week for about three weeks, then I skip a few weeks. The number of crickets varies. For an Usambara about 2-3" it will probably eat about 3 crickets at a time, maybe more depending on temp. It all varies. Most of what you will learn must be aquired through experience. Just experiment and learn as you go as to feeding.

Hope this helps some.

marcus

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got one from them..it is are very healthy. Give it a little burrow..plastic cup or a cork bark. Water dish needed. They live in dry areas so keep the substrate dry. They are very fiesty usually.

Originally posted by Paladin
i nee some care info regarding the P. murinus gona drive to lllreptiles sunday. A quick response would be great.

thnx for your help

Last edited:

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
at what time during the week will feeding occur?

how many times does the cage need to be sprayed and how often?

any other miscillaneus info and tips would be nice to have

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
once or twice a week feed them once their abdomen is full once a month. I never usually spray the cage myself but I don't know about others.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh forgot about the most important question....

what type of substrate?

vermiculite only, potting soil........a mix?

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Use a either pure peat moss or an 80% peat moss/ 20% potting soil mix. Peat is dry and very easy to burrow in, mine is in pure peat. Don't worry about specific feeding times. It doesn't matter. Just whenever you feel like it really. lol. As long as their abdomen is nice and healthy. Don't worry about misting too much. Just keep a deep water bowl and make sure the humdity isn't too low, like above 30% is okay...40% is better.