P. Murinus sling/enclosure question.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well...it happened....I fell completely under the spell of the OBT. I recently set my plans of purchasing one in motion, I'll be getting my hands on a 1/2" sling. Now... I need some reassurance with what information I've gathered, lemme know if all looks pretty tight: Pretty well bone-dry substrate with water dish, the substrate should have a decent depth to it, as well as leafs,twigs and other arboreal "I wants." Around 50-55% humidity, 75-85 degrees. Madly insane at webbing anything and everything. (I like this most xD)

Now, just fyi so you guy's don't flame me...I'm aware that this is an extremely fast, aggresivily defensive OW tarantula that likes to be pissed off. I plan on getting some pokies after this one. (I own 2 a. avics and 1 g. rosea atm) I wanted to worm my way into the more difficult-to-keep tarantula's. Some people have told me to go with other spiders that are less "Mean" than the OBT but a bit more defensive/aggressive than the two sp. I already own. Alas that's why I'm getting a sling, so I can do the learn while it grows thing. (This method was also recommended by many.) I have never lost my respect for tarantula's and never plan to, and am always extremely carefuly and mindful of the T when doing maintenence, feeding, new water, w/e the task may be, thus I feel I'm in a position to start with the bad boys.

Now..the MAIN reason why I posted this thread, hopefully any who are reading this have gotten through my ramblings and to this point (lol).:8o :8o :8o ...How big of a container should one use for a 1/2" sling. I've never owned slings before; all my spiders came minimum 2.5"(still may be considered a sling in some minds...but nowhere near 1/2") If I could get some pics of sling enclosures, deli-cups, vials, anything that anyone uses along with some tips to keep the little ones happy...I'd be much appreciative. Thanks!!

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
I have my 1" sling in a tiny jelly jar. You probably won't want to put yours in anything much bigger then a pill vial.
Have you seen one in action?
If you haven't, I suggest you watch a video of one on you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2IMc...elated&search=
It's just that it's lightening fast. I had other defensive spiders before this one, but, this one is so much faster then them. It's not scary now, but, it could still escape pretty quickly.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, I've seen them in action :D thanks though ^^...so a pill vile for a 1/2" inch you say?...Feeding would come..regularly like once a week or more? Or is it different with slings? (And I assume using a pill bottle, I'd be doing this very carefully in a bathtub)

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Or you can use a small deli cup to start. Just depends on what your going to be most comfortable using. I would also suggest to be very carefull with using either. They like to try and bolt out once the lid is open. I just mist with a spray bottle once a week or more depending on how dry it seems to look. I just crack the lid a small bit to get the water in. The weather plays some part in this. At least for now it does. During the winter months your heat will play another part. Also just small crickets. I mean like 1/4 inch or less. If you can't get ahold of anything small, I just squish the head of a small cricket and drop it in. They will eat. They eat well and have good appitites. They will web alot even at the small size they are. Mine however only lasted 3 years from the time I had it as a sling to the time it became mature. Sorry but it was a male. I lent it out and never heard a word if it worked out or not. But some dealers are very busy and this one is no exection. And very honest. So we still will wait to hear from him. They also grow quickly. Good luck with yours and I know you will be happy with it!

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
We make feeding ours a two person operation. But, that's because I have no desire to get bit, and my husbands a big chicken. Ours ate like crazy the first day we got it, then it molted that same evening. Now it's just starting to eat again. We have a cricket or two ready in a little pill vial. Then I move the lid over while hubby dumps them in and I move the lid right back on cause the little grouchy critter is already up at the top. Most people on here seem to use either pill vials or little deli containers. I had a pill vial, so that's what he's in for now. I used a drill to put a bunch of vent holes in it. For water, I just mist on one side of the vial. Just enough for him to be able to drink off the side since there's not enough room for a dish. There's a good thread on here somewhere about enclosures,
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48951&highlight=enclosures
There ya go.. You'll see some examples of P murinus in a deli cup..

I just thought I'd share the video that made my husband second guess getting one.. lol

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very good very good. So...my findings of information on the temps, humidity and substrate and etc were correct?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT is kept pretty dry, with misting every week, and yes, a happy OBT will webb extensively.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had the same concerns as you when I got my OBT.

When in the vial my first concern was escape during feeding, as the vial cap had to removed before wrangling a pinhead cricket. This was resolved by drilling a 3/8" feeding hole in the lid and using a small cork as a plug.

Next concern was rehousing, this was a challenge. (lol) When I moved from vial to mini KK, this spider "bolted" out of the vial into the KK, out of the KK, across the kitchen counter, in a blur. At the edge of the counter the KK was placed and the spider coaxed in. (whew)

The KK was set up with the thought of an easy next move as by that time it would be in the 2"+ size. A clay pot was added as a hide, and the little spider moved in right away.

Next move was not so bad, as a piece of cardboard was placed to cover entrance of clay pot or burrow, then picked up clay pot and placed in new enclosure. It took about 2 weeks but soon moved out of old clay pot, into new hide.

Since it settled in it is rarely seen except for front legs at edge of burrow.

Enjoy your new OBT, hope this helps.