P. murinus question

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, I'm not a tarantula man. I have only one, a P. murinus sling. Well, I haven't seen it in a few days and it kinda webbed itself up. It also didn't take the cricket I offered about a week ago. I removed the cricket and still no signs of my tarantula. I'm guessing it's going through a molt. I've only had this guy for about a month and it molted right before it was shipped to me. I know molting happens more frequently when they are young; however, is it common for it to molt that soon? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

W. Smith

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Every month or so is normal for tiny T's:D
I have 2 P. murinus slings. They spend a lot of time under ground,I only see them when they are hungry.
They web like mad to! Both of mine have a very complicated
tube style web connected to their tunnels.
These little beasts are fast too, so be careful:eek:

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on it. No kidding, it has webbing going all over. Thanks, so I've heard they were very quick. I haven't seen much out of him yet. I'm sure his personality will develop with age.

Thanks again,

W. Smith

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes they are quick little devils and act like devils to because they will bite if you come to close to there space. We have a mature Female and if you come near her space look out!!

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i actully have a 4 1/2 inch female that stays in her tube web all day and at night as soon as its dark in my room dosent matter if its 7 oclock or 2 in the morning as soon as i turn out the lights shes out, shes fast and mean i hear alot of people say they would rather run away then bite not mine, as soon as a reach my hand in her tank there is no running away no running and hiding its all charging straight for my hand, anywayz i wouldnt worry i had a togo do the exact same thing i didnt see it for awhile and it didnt eat and the next thing i know it is molted, pretty soon you will have a bigger little spider in there:D

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
obts are also smart and have great eyesite i pu it on the floor its a sling and it runs i try to coral it back into its vial but it weaves around it and dodges everything

Damnathius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't seen mine in two days now. Normally it is *slightly* visible through it's above ground web, but now it is down in it's burrow. I think it must be moulting because last time I put a cricket in it's web (8 days ago) it just killed it, like it was annoying.

I'm considering getting it a spinnerette-ectomy so I can see it occasionally!

Now my Pinktoe is getting to the same point with her webbing, but at least it's above ground!

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. Well, my P. murinus finally came out today, much larger and brighter. I didn't see the molt, I am assuming that it is underground. How long should I wait before I offer food? Should I retrieve the molt, even if that means disturbing his tunnels? Any more info for a first time tarantula keeper that just survived his first molt would be greatly appreciated?

Damnathius, that's about the length of time my stayed out of sight.

Thanks,

W. Smith

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have three and the two I have had a longer period of time have molted quite often so far.
I usually offer food about a week after a molt or at least not until the fangs darken.
LOL=D Good luck retrieving the molt! Yes, it can be done, but I suggest you be quick about it.:D I have heard both sides about it is okay to leave it but also that it might draw mites. Mine seem to be very possessive of their molts and so far it doesnt seem to have done any harm to leave it. I do take it out if possible though to be on the safe side of things.

Last edited:

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 2 P. murinus one is the orange one and I havent seen it for about 2 weeks. The regular P. murinus I havent seen for 3 months but the burrow it has made is visible from the bottom of the tank and you can barely see her in there. She seems fine so I just leave her alone.

dale