P.Murinus build up

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I agree that the "OBT madness" is definitely over exaggerated. As long as they're in the correct setup and you don't put your hands directly in the enclosure, I don't think you'll generally have any problems. As you would with Pokies, plan your rehouses ahead of time and do it in a safe environment with a catch cup in hand. If I need to rehouse my female, I always do it in a bathtub and just use common sense. Yes, she is extremely quick, but more often than not, my OBT is skittish and just wants to run into her webbing and hide. If you look at bite reports, most people made really obvious mistakes like putting their hands inside the enclosure or were harassing the spider in order to make it throw a threat pose for a picture or a video. I don't think they're a beginner spider, but you're obviously not a beginner. Even though my female has never once thrown me a threat pose, I'm careful not to get overconfident. I do any routine maintenance with long metal tongs and a bulb syringe to refill water dishes so my fingers aren't in biting range. In the end, though, do whatever you feel comfortable with personally. To me, the fact that you're cautious about it a good thing. Overconfident people are the ones who make mistakes.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I received an unexpected OBT freebie and despite all the hype, it's chill af and kind of a coward. I gave it a good hide and plenty of cover and it seems fine hiding under there. I'm not looking forward to rehousing it, which I have to do soon, but I have a bin to use for that in case of a mishap. I expect that I'll be able to pick up the hide along with its attached web sock and just place everything gently into the new enclosure without much of a fuss. We'll see how that goes.

My P irminia boy is also chill and lives in his cork tube. I will just pluck the cork tube from its current setup and place it into the new one, and magically it will be in its final enclosure. Once he's in that thing, he does not want to come out.

I think as long as you give these guys decent cover, they feel safe and are less likely to be the defensive monsters they're made out to be.

Rbed2

Arachnopeon
I have 5 P. murinus. 3 females and 2 males(all are 2.5"-3.5" inches raised from slings). 3 are fairly docile and will head for their burrows when opening Their KK's for maintanance/feeding. one female will turn throw up a threat pose slap once or twice and retreat. Another female is the STEREOTYPE. if she is in her burrow she will come out look for a fight but it seems to be all show. She surfaces and does the old lean back fang dance. They all vary but my favorite is the last mean female i described. i really like feisty T's personally. Get a few slings and grow with them. As usual.......Caution Always

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Definitely have more of a rush dealing with my Poecis than any one of my 5 P. murinus. IME if they're set up correctly (ample amounts of substrate to burrow, plenty of anchor points to web, and some cork bark to set up shop with) they're very manageable. You only get that crazy defensiveness when they feel caught out in the open, which happens more often when they're set up strictly terrestrial and don't have anywhere else to run and hide. I may be wrong, but I do believe Poeci venom is considered worse than OBT venom.

People have made great suggestions as to species to help you prepare, so I won't add any more. :)

There is nothing funnier than a sling that thinks it's scary.
No kidding. :rofl:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
There is nothing funnier than a sling that thinks it's scary.
My most defensive tarantula BY FAR is a 1/4" Brachypelma boehmei. You can barely see it but it threat postures all the time! Can't wait until it gets bigger :rolleyes:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
My most defensive tarantula BY FAR is a 1/4" Brachypelma boehmei. You can barely see it but it threat postures all the time! Can't wait until it gets bigger :rolleyes:
Pics or it didn’t happen,:pJ/K

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Maybe I've been "lucky" but I've never had an overly defensive A. genic or any Phormictopus sp.

My only NW species that is just as defensive as my OW's has been P. irminia.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Maybe I've been "lucky" but I've never had an overly defensive A. genic or any Phormictopus sp.

My only NW species that is just as defensive as my OW's has been P. irminia.
Basically my experience as well, the only NW Ts in my collection that have a defensiveness comparative to my OWs are among my Psalmopoeus. And if I'm being honest, I'd say they're worse than most of my OWs lol.

boina

Lady of the mites
For this reason alone a pokie is a more advanced t that pretty much any terrestrial/fossorial OW, OBT included.
Can you please come and tell that to Orangina, my OBT? She used to be a perfectly normal OBT, living happily in her burrow, ocasionally poking red feet out the front opening. Then she molted... I don't know what got into her, but whenever I open the enclosure now Orangina is ready to attack. I haven't rehoused, the enclosure is still big enough, the burrow is obviously established, but everytime I open the enclosure something orange comes speeding out and attacks my tongs and then threat postures all over the place, rapidly moving around the enclosure for the next threat posture. In over 200 spiders I've never had anything the like. It's the only spider where I won't fully open the enclosure when I feed/water and believe me, she can keep her boli (they dry out anyway). My Pokies are so much easier, all 10 of them.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Can you please come and tell that to Orangina, my OBT? She used to be a perfectly normal OBT, living happily in her burrow, ocasionally poking red feet out the front opening. Then she molted... I don't know what got into her, but whenever I open the enclosure now Orangina is ready to attack. I haven't rehoused, the enclosure is still big enough, the burrow is obviously established, but everytime I open the enclosure something orange comes speeding out and attacks my tongs and then threat postures all over the place, rapidly moving around the enclosure for the next threat posture. In over 200 spiders I've never had anything the like. It's the only spider where I won't fully open the enclosure when I feed/water and believe me, she can keep her boli (they dry out anyway). My Pokies are so much easier, all 10 of them.
I think she resents her name (which I like very much).

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Dang, I was too late... So, what should I name my OBT?...
Names:
Gritty
Animal
Fizzgig
Carrot Cake
Papaya
Mango
Sweet Potato
Pumpkin
Garfield
Heathcliff
Ron Howard
April O’Neil
Dangerbot 9000
Mephistopheles
Prince Harry

etc

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
If you know general tarantula husbandry and use reasonably safe maintenance and rehousing techniques, just go for it. Grab a few slings and enjoy.

They arent that bad. Their reputation is just stupid.