P.Murinus build up

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
I really want an OBT but after reading a bit I believe it would be a better idea to get a T to build upto it first. I am not too fussed whether the suggestion is OW or NW. The only thing that concerns me with the OBT is how readily defensive it is as I have no Ts that act like that.

I love the webbing and fossorial aspects of p murinus and would like something similar to get used to before making the jump.

any and all answers are appreciated, loved and digested into the deepest reaches of my brain :),

Brandon x

cold blood

Staff member
IME, some good ones that will prepare you for defensiveness would be any Nhandu, any Phormictipus, or A. geniculata or Lasiodora.

For speed, N. incei is a great one (one of the the heaviest webbing species one could own)....any Psalmopeous as well...cams are on the less defensive side, irminia on the very defensive side. Tappies would be good as well.

All are NW and all grow at a fast pace, so its really a year or so and you will have done several re houses and could already have mature adults.....these fast growers can really help speed up the learning process...especially if you raise multiples of whatever species (or muliple species) you choose.

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
Ol, some good ones that will prepare you for defensiveness would be any Nhandu, any Phormictipus, or A. geniculata or Lasiodora.

For speed, N. incei is a great one (one of the the heaviest webbing species one could own)....any Psalmopeous as well...cams are on the less defensive side, irminia on the very defensive side. Tappies would be good as well.

All are NW and all grow at a fast pace, so its really a year or so and you will have done several re houses and could already have mature adults.....these fast growers can really help speed up the learning process...especially if you raise multiples of whatever species (or muliple species) you choose.
I have an A.geniculata and it isn't all that bad just seriously food responsive but as soon as it realises the paint brush is not a roach and just kicks hair most of the time.

For speed lol I bought a p regalis communal a few month back and have successfully rehoused them all into individual enlosures.

I have been looking at p irminia for a while now and think they would be more of a challenge than the pokies to be honest.

N Incei, can you tell me more about the behaviours of this T? and maybe, if you can, elaborate on Nhandu, any Phormictipus and Lasiodora.

I am getting a huge expansion as to where I keep my exotics and have been doing non stop research and I am just trying to soak up as much info as possible!

Thanks for the reply!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have an A.geniculata and it isn't all that bad just seriously food responsive but as soon as it realises the paint brush is not a roach and just kicks hair most of the time.

For speed lol I bought a p regalis communal a few month back and have successfully rehoused them all into individual enlosures.

I have been looking at p irminia for a while now and think they would be more of a challenge than the pokies to be honest.

N Incei, can you tell me more about the behaviours of this T? and maybe, if you can, elaborate on Nhandu, any Phormictipus and Lasiodora.

I am getting a huge expansion as to where I keep my exotics and have been doing non stop research and I am just trying to soak up as much info as possible!

Thanks for the reply!
So you keep Pokies and your worried about an OBT. o_O I would say your ready if you have rehoused Pokies, but in all honesty Pokies are not that bad. Take the venom away and they are actually a really good species.

Incei is a really cool species, fast dwarf. Way underrated. They come in 2 color forms. Always a plus for any collection. You can get slings fairly cheap too.

Last edited:

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
So you keep Pokies and your worried about an OBT. o_O I would say your ready if you have rehoused Pokies, but in all honesty Pokies are not that bad. Take the venom away and they are actually a really good species.

Incei is a really cool species, fast dwarf. Way underrated. They come in 2 color forms. Always a plus for any collection. You can get slings fairly cheap too.
Pokies it's just pure speed I try not to worry about the severity of the venom as in all seriousness you shouldn't get in the situation where you could be bit it's just how defensive OBTs are that I'm not too sure on but I think I might have a read upon incei wouldn't mind a dwarf species

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Pokies it's just pure speed I try not to worry about the severity of the venom as in all seriousness you shouldn't get in the situation where you could be bit it's just how defensive OBTs are that I'm not too sure on but I think I might have a read upon incei wouldn't mind a dwarf species
OBT is not as bad as people make them out to be. Or at least that is my case. I have found each Tarantula can be different even same species. If you start with a OBT sling, I think you will enjoy the experience.

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
Ephebopus spp.

Anything from Ceratogyrus, or Monocentropus balfouri.
M Balfouri are a dream T for me will have to save up a little bit before I can but hopefully this year.

What are your personal favourites from Ephebopus? E cyanognathus looks gorgeous from what I've seen and c marshalli has been on my bucket list for a while now. any species you would personally recommend?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
What are your personal favourites from Ephebopus?
I've kept cyanognathus in the past and currently have rufescens, I prefer the latter out of the two as they're basically a burgundy/gold palette swap of E. murinus, the fangs on cyanognathus kinda fade to purple as they get larger although they're still pretty.

View media item 43559

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
I've kept cyanognathus in the past and currently have rufescens, I prefer the latter out of the two as they're basically a burgundy/gold palette swap of E. murinus, the fangs on cyanognathus kinda fade to purple as they get larger although they're still pretty.

View media item 43559
I'd like to pick up a few slings to be honest.

I have just noticed you live in the UK is there any expos on before April?

cold blood

Staff member
Defensiveness is much MUCH easier to deal with than speed and a t willing to use that speed. For this reason alone a pokie is a more advanced t than pretty much any terrestrial/fossorial OW, OBT included.

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
Defensiveness is much MUCH easier to deal with than speed and a t willing to use that speed. For this reason alone a pokie is a more advanced t that pretty much any terrestrial/fossorial OW, OBT included.
I think am just gonna go ahead and make a list of what I want and go ahead with it defensiveness hasn't ever happened with me so I just don't know how I will react to it but will just have to deal with it when the time comes thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
I think am just gonna go ahead and make a list of what I want and go ahead with it defensiveness hasn't ever happened with me so I just don't know how I will react to it but will just have to deal with it when the time comes thanks!
A t in a defensive posture really just sits there pissed...
don't put yourself in the strike zone and you are fine...re-housing? Just plop a catch cup over a defensive spider and you're pretty much done...Fast ts require a bit more strategy and an understanding of capabilities and tendencies...things can go way more wrong way faster with a big, super fast spider that bolts.

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
A t in a defensive posture really just sits there pissed...

...things can go way more wrong way faster with a big, super fast spider that bolts.
To be fair.... I have 9 p regalis and all are still small :3

So I see where you're coming from there they haven't been extreme doing rehousing yet so I have got to wait for that

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agree with Coldblood. Defenssive tarantulas are often very territorial aswell. They stand to defend their territory aka their burrow. They may turn in 180 degrees if you are trying to change angle and threatpose and strike. Sometimes cuppled with stridulation and venomdripping. But they are to angry to bolt and leave the area. If you only work up skills and knows how to counter them, they are often not that bad. A lighning fast bolting tarantula is way more difficult. It may run up your arm and dissipear under your t-shirt. If it is a speicies with strong venom, this is nit a fun experience

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
OBT 'madness' is way overhyped. I believe it came from people not keeping them correctly so they just had an un-adjusted and 'unhappy' T all the time. Give them deepish substrate to burrow in with some cork bark/log buried in the substrate and they will make their own little dens. I have 2 OBTs right now and the female is in heavy premoult sealed in her starter burrow that I gave her when I rehoused her and the 1.5 inch sling has a nice deli cup with about four or five entry points to its den area that it webbed up heavily. When I open the containers both just hunker down and sit tight. Just do the set-up right and you won't get any tarantulas exploding out onto your face. ;)

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
As others said, much easier to deal with an angry T in a threat posture than one that just wants to run.

I've not kept pokies or OBTs, but I would think dealing with a pokie communal is way more of a handful than a single OBT. BY all accounts if you house them correctly they are not as defensive as most people think, that's Tom Morran's take/experience on it anyway.