P. Mettalica sling purchase!

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
Today i made a purchase down in white plains for a P. Metallica, I purchased the 1" sling for $60, what i really am interested in is what are some of your experiences with husbandry and breeding of this species? I have been doing alot of research but id like to know personal experiences as i am trying to gain as much as a grip on fully understanding this species. I have bred only one Arboreal T in the passed but i feel confident in the future i can do it with the Metallicas!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe here in the beginning you should start out with the normal husbandry, and wait a little with breeding plans. And you are far away from breeding with only 1 sling!
If he/she gets around 25c/27c it will be a happy camper, not too much space as it can have trouble finding its prey. Give it good ventilation and mist in there twice a week. You can give it a waterbowl, but it is not something i will reccomend, it will pretty much never use it, but it will drink from the droplets from misting.
They are not defensive at that size, but they will in a molt or two become very flighty, so be ware of that. And good luck with it;-)

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I do not plan to breed any for a year or 2, i just am intersted in knowing everything i possibly can about this species i want to bring it to the hobby for a cheaper price in a few years. I dont know if it will happen but i am gonna try!

Bread

Arachnopeon
I have my little 1inch guys in bug grub size containers with a small vented lid, some cork bark and little pods for housing, they seem happy enough :)

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My P. metallica sling (about 1.5") is a total spaz. Not defensive, but will run laps around its enclosure when disturbed. Its still getting settled and webbing up as I've only had it about a week, so hopefully when its more comfortable it will relax a tad, but from what I have read in the past, being very shy and sensitive to disturbances isn't uncommon with them. My enclosure is pretty straightforward Pokie fare: 32 oz tall deli cup, few rows of small vents on the sides near the top, piece of cork bark angled against the side, some sphagnum moss, a little bit of fake foliage, water bottle cap, about an inch or so of sub...I generally keep the sphagnum moss moist to provide some extra humidity.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Today i made a purchase down in white plains for a P. Metallica, I purchased the 1" sling for $60, what i really am interested in is what are some of your experiences with husbandry and breeding of this species? I have been doing alot of research but id like to know personal experiences as i am trying to gain as much as a grip on fully understanding this species. I have bred only one Arboreal T in the passed but i feel confident in the future i can do it with the Metallicas!
This is not the easiest Poki to breed. Contact Kelly Swift on breeding when/if you are ready. He's the first person in the USA to successfully breed this species many times over. Good luck.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is not the easiest Poki to breed. Contact Kelly Swift on breeding when/if you are ready. He's the first person in the USA to successfully breed this species many times over. Good luck.
The code is cracked here in Europe. Just gotten the 3. sack this year.

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
Thank you pociemon, i do not plan on breeding for almost 2 years as i plan to collect several mettalicas and learn this species before i make the leap to breed and sell.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And here in the USA as well, well over a decade ago, not sure what your point was? Congrats on the sacs.
I was just a bit surprised if you guys in the states only had 1 guy who make them on a regurlarly basis! Here many big time breeders are actually on to bigger or should i say more expensive T breeding projects. I should have elaborated my post there;-)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was just a bit surprised if you guys in the states only had 1 guy who make them on a regurlarly basis! Here many big time breeders are actually on to bigger or should i say more expensive T breeding projects. I should have elaborated my post there;-)
Ah I see. No Kelly Swift is not the only person breeding them currently, I wrote he's the first, not the only hahah. He knows the most IMO on breeding this species. He's done it many times.

I tend to point people to the source of the info in cases like this. Who would you rather trust to land men on the moon, the USA, or (insert country)....that's my thinking basically.