p.metallicas

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was just wondering about their temperment and how defencive they are also if they mind being handled.Also..are they aboreal or terrestial? they have amazing colours and i might consider buying one .

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From my experience Pokies are a temperamental group that are also quite venomous so I wouldn't recommend handling them. Also, they're an aboreal group.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i was just wondering about their temperment and how defencive they are also if they mind being handled.Also..are they aboreal or terrestial? they have amazing colours and i might consider buying one .
Well if you are looking for a tarantula that you can handle this might not be the best choice. They have a bit more potent venom. It's not going to kill you but I'd bet a little bit of money that it would ruin your day. They are arboreal and love to climb. Mine have been kind of skittish but not that bad really compared to other pokies. Your right they do have great colors! But once again not something I would ever wake up and decide to hold just for fun.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are aboreal.......i agree with ryan, they can be skiddish but mine are usually pretty calm and never have been defensive... but also take into consideration peoples experience's differ from t to t...so just because mine aren't, doesn't mean yours will be....

i don't recommend handling any T's but there are several you-tube links and other vid sites, that show pokies are very handle-able...its just not an endorsement im willing to give...if one thing could be said about these guys is, that out of all the pokies out there.... metallicas are amongst the calmest but if your shelling out close to 300 bucks:? why would you risk losing it because you'd want to hold it????:wall: just my 2cents

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
some people are crazy/brave/ignorant/(combination of those) and handle their poecilotheria sp. i am not one of those people. they are the fastest of all my Ts and they are said to have the most painful bite of any T, although mostly not life threatining, it will make you wish you hadnt done that and certainly give you a bad day, probably in the emergency room for some cool pain meds. something i dont want to try.

did i mention they are FAST? people often say they 'teleport' instead of run/hop because sometimes you almost cant see them move.

there was one foreign site i saw of a guys T collection. he had one picture of a 6-7" female P.ornata sitting on his shoulder/neck. if you get bit on the hand, its painful but it wont kill you, your arm swells up. however if you get bit on the neck, that very well could kill you, in short order, from the swelling of the injection site closing off airways/blood supply. probably not the best idea in the world.

pokies are generaly a look but dont touch species. unless you are one of the crazy few on these boards.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd say if you have to ask these questions then you're not ready to own one.
Do some good research for a good few months before even thinking of buying one (IMO)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do some good research for a good few months before even thinking of buying one (IMO)
I never get when people say things like this. He's asking questions now, it's not like he bought one and is now asking what to do and what to expect, he's doing his homework before buying.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know, i dont get where you have to research any t for a month or so, to be able own it?????:?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i know, i dont get where you have to research any t for a month or so, to be able own it?????:?
{D I would have had to do a few hundred months of studying and research if that was the case. I'd be 80 or so before id be allowed to own one. :D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never get when people say things like this. He's asking questions now, it's not like he bought one and is now asking what to do and what to expect, he's doing his homework before buying.

This
is why people say things like, research the critter and think about it. Besides money being a factor, what are you going to do if you no longer want it, can you care for it, what if it gets out, what if it is unruly, etc etc etc...

Too much research is never a bad thing.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

This
is why people say things like, research the critter and think about it. Besides money being a factor, what are you going to do if you no longer want it, can you care for it, what if it gets out, what if it is unruly, etc etc etc...

Yes I get what you are saying but the guy is asking questions now he did not buy one first. To me asking questions is part of research. Or is it........:confused:

That article was a hoot too. I am always wondering where they drum up these 'experts' that speak on behalf of the animal in question. They always speak with such authority and they always manage for the most part to come off sounding dumber then rocks.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im one of the idiots mentioned earlyer that handles theyre pokies from time to time. Its not something that i do on any sort of regular basis though. i havent had one out in probrably 3 or 4 months. Its not a genus to take litely they are seriously fast and theyre isnt one time that i put one back in its tank and my hart isnt going a million miles a hour. One thing you have to understand about handling T's is one day you will be tagged. the question you have to ask yourself is will it be worth it..... probrably not.

as far as temperments go honistly i havent had any real defensiveness come from pokies in my own personal experience. i have only seen one threat display and it was from my p.faciata while she was in premolt.

none the less its the venom potential that makes this T command so much respect.. not so much the defensivness like a OBT or H. lividum

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

This

Well, if he doesn't want that Gooty he can always give it to me and heck, guess I'd even pay for shipping too. All kidding aside, if you want it, get it. Just realize what you've got and treat your relationship with respect and you'll do fine.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Xjak, if you're new to the world of t's (i'm guessing you are from the nature of your question) there are about 100 other t's that would be more suitable to someone starting out. Not to mention less (much less) expensive. Metallica's are possibly the most visually striking T in the entire hobby and they run $200-$300 for a tiny baby spiderling. If you still want to do it with all that's been said here then i say go for it. If you make sure you're well read on their care i'm sure you'll do fine.

As an alternative, however you could get ten other T's that are all pretty awesome for the same price that have less likelyhood of sending you to the hospital with a bite.

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
maybe it will be a T to look forward in the future when i get a bit more experience. it was jus that i saw it and wanted to know a bit more a bout it (just curouisty really) because they look like a lovley spider to have .also i didnt realise they were that expensive. are many captive bred? in a few weeks i may be ordering a few slings soon (not of this species tho LOL) :D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want something beautiful that you can handle, go for Avics!!!!

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you awnser is question???

xjak3yx,

I won't awser your question cause someone already gave you awnser but here's my opinion.

Just make a bit of research on Poecilotheria before(doesn't have to be for a few month:rolleyes:)then I would say if you have a bit of experience with any arboreal T you could buy a sling P.metallica and will learn as your spider grow.

Last edited: