P. Metallica?

4wrdUn2Dwn

Arachnopeon
Long story short, I didn't do research on the retailer I was buying my P Metallica from and had bad experience. About a month ago I ordered from Back Water Reptiles and received my spider that was way undersized for what I payed for and not properly shipped, surprised it lived through shipping. Heir customer service sucked not listening that shipping in a cup of dirt in a tiny box is not the way to go. Anyways I don't trust them and earlier this week my spider molted and is now around 2". I'm wondering if this spider is even a P Metallica as I know Pokies she. Small can be hard to tell apart. Attached are pics of the underside and top. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
Looks like my P. Metallica! But I am not an expert by any means.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Sorry I can't be of more help with your question. It has been a while since my P.met was that small and I can't remember when they changed colors to the blueish.

I did note it looks like you have your poec in an inverted box style enclosure. These are great for some arboreal Ts like Avics since they like to web high and run up when startled. Those are not as good for poecs since they like to run down when startled which would be out the open bottom of your enclosure. Almost all my poecs also like to make a dirt curtain style den at the base of the cork. It makes care for them a lot easier when they have settled because they will move to their hide instead of doing laps around the enclosure. Because of these things I would recommend a 32 oz deli cup temp rehousing which would give you time to setup a front opening enclosure for it.

32oz setup for one of my poecs.

Here is what I keep my poecs in after they get over 2.5-3 inchs. (ignore the P.cam on the left)

Here is my girl

Best of luck to you and your T. :)

Last edited:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Mine looked pretty much like that at that size. Next molt, the spider should take on a bit of a dark purple color if it's actually a metallica.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Looks very much like a metallica to me. Itll get that blue soon enough ;)

4wrdUn2Dwn

Arachnopeon
Trenor, so far it has been fine in this setup. I do have to gently open the enclosure and shut it, but she usually stays on the cork bark when I have to feed or go in. I will take your advice though, since it does sound reasonable and less likely for me to lose or injure my T. Thanks for the advice!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Trenor, so far it has been fine in this setup. I do have to gently open the enclosure and shut it, but she usually stays on the cork bark when I have to feed or go in. I will take your advice though, since it does sound reasonable and less likely for me to lose or injure my T. Thanks for the advice!
It's definitely inconvenient, if it happens to bolt the spider has way more room to escape. Opening the lid completely with your enclosure is quite risky with that species, they are flighty and will take off sometimes...better safe then sorry.

4wrdUn2Dwn

Arachnopeon
It's definitely inconvenient, if it happens to bolt the spider has way more room to escape. Opening the lid completely with your enclosure is quite risky with that species, they are flighty and will take off sometimes...better safe then sorry.
I usually order of off Jamie's Tarantulas and this was the enclosure for a juvenile that she had. I didn't think anything of it and so far she has been more timid then jumpy to get out. Also I have a large container that I put her habit in when I open it so if she does bolt the sides are teflon so she has nowhere to go. I am going to definitely look for a new one with a lid closer to the top now this has been brought to my attention.

cold blood

Staff member
I usually order of off Jamie's Tarantulas and this was the enclosure for a juvenile that she had. I didn't think anything of it and so far she has been more timid then jumpy to get out. Also I have a large container that I put her habit in when I open it so if she does bolt the sides are teflon so she has nowhere to go. I am going to definitely look for a new one with a lid closer to the top now this has been brought to my attention.
Just don't invert it...its that simple...just flip it over.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Try shining a white flashlight on it. Many Ts don't show all of their colors until you light them up:) Even a GBB can appear nearly black if there isn't enough light on them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I like using a bright LED flashlight to illuminate the colors on mine. They really shine in the LED.