P. metallica wild population, protection project

vounti

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone !

I'd love, maybe in 2-3 years, try and breed some P. metallica (that is on the 100 IUCN red list species)

I know some european zoos collaborate with independant breeders to help wild populations of amphibians, reptiles and stuff and scientists take care of genetic diversity, different wild populations that might be isolated.

But I have no idea if that is possible for arthropods. I think P. metallica needs that help and it's a good species since it's beautiful. People that are not into tarantulas will be more interested in a good looking blue arboreal than in a dull looking fossorial.

Have you ever heard of such a project ? Do you think it might be possible ?
Of course that is not going to help with their habitat being reduced and destroyed but I think any help is good to take

I can't find any information about how their wild populations are doing. Any information is good to take :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anything is possible-
A matter if authorities will allow it etc

Contact leading zoos and Indian govt scientists etc

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I don't think so. Still waiting on the documentary by Andrew Smith to hear more about them.

Main threat is habitat destruction, and that is something european zoos have absolutely no influence on in India and that threatens much more than just one species of spider. But due to their prevalence in the hobby i doubt they will die out anytime soon.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know of any larger collaborations between institutions and private keepers in regards to inverts, but I believe the Dallas Zoo was looking for a MM P. metallica recently and even went as far as to post classified ads on hobbyist websites.

I would love to see this become more commonplace moving forward, but most tarantulas make poor display animals so not a lot of zoos work with them and in general, most zoos typically don't like working with hobbyists as most don't utilize any kind of husbandry records or genetic lineage record keeping that's on par with ZIMS.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Well, for starters, most of these zoos can`t get basic husbandry right, so the spiders wouldn't last long. Playing devils advocate, if breeding was successful, they would have a surge of this species, as zoos cannot sell off animals like a business would.

Where would all these slings be going?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
IMO, the best way to protect their natural population is to donate to a habitat protection program.

I'm not sure what's available in India but I regularly donate to one in South America with a percentage of the proceeds when I sell any dart frog offspring I produce.

vounti

Arachnoknight
You take that back sir or madam. :troll:
I was not talking about these cool looking species lol but more about things like H. gigas which does not show appealing colors (even though it's an interesting species !) to people that are not into inverts

Btw I don't recognize the second tarantula species. My bet is on asian T but no clue

Thank you everyone. I would really like to participate to P. metallica conservation in any way I can. I'll explore these options. Thanks again

Nevermore Exotics

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter +
I sold a MM P. metallica to the Dallas Zoo. I'm not sure what their end game was with breeding. Maybe contact them.