P. metallica Vent Sexing

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, my relentless habit of checking Craigslist has finally paid off. I'm going to be meeting someone tomorrow to pick up a 4" P. metallica, trading for a 5" B. vagans. The guy bought her as a "confirmed female" but didn't realize how fast and defensive she was going to be.

Yeah. Confirmed female. Which is why I'm looking for some extra opinions. I've got my opinion on the (horrible) picture, but I'd like some extra eyes on it. What do you think?

20170509_235933_1494416583017.jpg

Also, could someone give a bit more advice on vent sexing pokies? From what I've gathered, P. metallica is one that shows the dot above the vent if they're male. Is this right? Does anyone have pictures that I could take a look at?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Sorry that picture is too dark for me to tell (I'm also on my phone) but yeah I find pokies pretty easy to sex because if the Dot.

Here's my guy at about 3" who is now molt confirmed
20161203_201509.jpg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's so damn hard to tell from that picture but it kinda looks male.. I don't know though it looks like there is a long furrow line but that could just be glare or anything.

If it's male the area between the upper set of book lungs and the epegastic furrow will form a tight upside down U shape .. If it's a female that are between the book lungs will look like a bell almost or a very wide U and the epegastric furrow will extend almost the entire width of the abdomen in that area.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You need better pics. Looks female but you want to be sure.
Well, I won't be getting another picture, which is why I needed to know exactly what to look for. I can check him/her out when I meet the guy.

It's so damn hard to tell from that picture but it kinda looks male.. I don't know though it looks like there is a long furrow line but that could just be glare or anything.

If it's male the area between the upper set of book lungs and the epegastic furrow will form a tight upside down U shape .. If it's a female that are between the book lungs will look like a bell almost or a very wide U and the epegastric furrow will extend almost the entire width of the abdomen in that area.
Thanks, that cleared it up a bit. I've looked some threads up with pictures, and man, I'm having trouble.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Honestly, male or female, it's still a good deal. I'm gonna download the pic, and mess around with it in lightroom. I'll upload it back here if I can manage to get anything out of it for you.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Couldn't get much out of it, but I think it may be a little better. Still a tough one though, cause none of the blue is coming through in the pic. I see a dot, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot with P. mets it seems. I'm leaning male, but you should be able to tell a lot better in person.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
it will be very obvious if female. males will have a prominent dark dot, females wont.
try messing around in the pictures gallery vent sexing Poecilotheria.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thank you for trying @Ghost56!

it will be very obvious if female. males will have a prominent dark dot, females wont.
try messing around in the pictures gallery vent sexing Poecilotheria.
That's what I thought, but I'm finding so many conflicting reports of this. Apparently P. metallica is one of the hardest pokies to vent sex from what I'm reading.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thank you for trying @Ghost56!

That's what I thought, but I'm finding so many conflicting reports of this. Apparently P. metallica is one of the hardest pokies to vent sex from what I'm reading.
thats probably true, ive changed my mind multiple times with my juvie

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I am still struggling to understand the dot thing. Sometimes mine looks like it has a dot to me and some times it looks like it doesn't. He/she is about 2.25 inches or so. I just took this picture and it looks a little like it has a dot. I took the second picture like 2 or 3 days ago and it looks pretty dang female to me. :banghead: IMG_0327.JPG

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon

I'm leaning 60% to female but this pic is horrendous. I get what you mean by the glare. That's what's hindering me from saying female with a surety

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I am still struggling to understand the dot thing. Sometimes mine looks like it has a dot to me and some times it looks like it doesn't. He/she is about 2.25 inches or so. I just took this picture and it looks a little like it has a dot. I took the second picture like 2 or 3 days ago and it looks pretty dang female to me. :banghead: View attachment 239845

I'm pretty sure that you've got a female

cold blood

Staff member
The "dot is only visible when lit at the right angle...then it pops out. Generally shining back to front shows it best.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I am still struggling to understand the dot thing. Sometimes mine looks like it has a dot to me and some times it looks like it doesn't. He/she is about 2.25 inches or so. I just took this picture and it looks a little like it has a dot. I took the second picture like 2 or 3 days ago and it looks pretty dang female to me. :banghead: View attachment 239845

Looks female..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, my relentless habit of checking Craigslist has finally paid off. I'm going to be meeting someone tomorrow to pick up a 4" P. metallica, trading for a 5" B. vagans. The guy bought her as a "confirmed female" but didn't realize how fast and defensive she was going to be.

Yeah. Confirmed female. Which is why I'm looking for some extra opinions. I've got my opinion on the (horrible) picture, but I'd like some extra eyes on it. What do you think?

View attachment 239792

Also, could someone give a bit more advice on vent sexing pokies? From what I've gathered, P. metallica is one that shows the dot above the vent if they're male. Is this right? Does anyone have pictures that I could take a look at?

The dot method is true for all Poki's.

Here's my male P. rufi at about 1.75"