P. Metallica sling

lolthqueen

Arachnopeon
Hey there, I just adopted a Poecilotheria Metallica sling today and would really love some pointers and suggestions from past owners. I’m calling it a her because so far from what I can tell it looks like a female, she’s very fast as most poeci are so tips on care and handling(only when necessary) would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

lolthqueen

Arachnopeon
Highly unlikely, but you never know lol might have to look for a health issue or something

Craig73

Arachnoangel
They are hardy. Mine is 1.75” I provide plenty of ventilation and lightly moisten the sub once a week and make sure it has plenty of hiding spots. Mine tends to be less light sensitive than most have observed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey there, I just adopted a Poecilotheria Metallica sling today and would really love some pointers and suggestions from past owners. I’m calling it a her because so far from what I can tell it looks like a female, she’s very fast as most poeci are so tips on care and handling(only when necessary) would be greatly appreciated!!
Tip 1 Handling is never necessary
Tip 2 You think handling is necessary- see point 1

It’s the most nervous of the genus in my opinion. A larger setup than normal is advisable to give it space and proper COVER

Their first instinct is to run for cover.

lolthqueen

Arachnopeon
Tip 1 Handling is never necessary
Tip 2 You think handling is necessary- see point 1

It’s the most nervous of the genus in my opinion. A larger setup than normal is advisable to give it space and proper COVER

Their first instinct is to run for cover.
She has plenty of cover but of course I’m going to try and look and see if she has a wound, I have a friend who’s poceci’s leg got caught on a piece of log and was torn, she had to handle him then to see what was going on. Very carefully though in a bin with a catch cup. I’m not trying to handle it for fun if that’s what you think, I hate when people make massive assumptions. Of course I’m not just gonna handle her, Jesus people. Come onnnn. So presumptuous. And chill out.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She has plenty of cover but of course I’m going to try and look and see if she has a wound, I have a friend who’s poceci’s leg got caught on a piece of log and was torn, she had to handle him then to see what was going on. Very carefully though in a bin with a catch cup. I’m not trying to handle it for fun if that’s what you think, I hate when people make massive assumptions. Of course I’m not just gonna handle her, Jesus people. Come onnnn. So presumptuous. And chill out.
We can only go by what you wrote. Plenty of people write similar words only to report later they were handling for fun.

We write such things out of caution for T and owner.

Chill out yourself ;)

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Tips for handling: Don't handle. Especially venomous species like Poecilotheria it is just not wise...

And you can't really tell if that is a female especially by just looking at it at that size, possibly with a molt when it is an inch or so bigger. Keep the enclosure misted but try not to soak it, give it a piece of cork bark placed diagonally against a wall of the enclosure and that's about it.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
OP asks for tips on how to handle a fast, highly venomous tarantula.
OP gets told not to handle.
OP complains about being told not to handle.

Another day in the life of AB.