P. metallica sac.........

Abyss

Arachnoknight
So im curious as to why it seems like evrryone overcomplicates egg sac care.

What i mean is, in the wild, no one is pulling sacs an incubating them T specic temps etc, the mother simply protects it an it hatches when it hatches an thats that.

I ask because i have a gorgeous female P. met i would love to breed to help feed these gorgeous T's into the hobby but havent the slightest clue about incubators an egg sac care.

I was wondering why i cant just breed her when she's rdy and i locate a MM and let her keep the sac till it hatches and collect up the babies???

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
So im curious as to why it seems like evrryone overcomplicates egg sac care.

What i mean is, in the wild, no one is pulling sacs an incubating them T specic temps etc, the mother simply protects it an it hatches when it hatches an thats that.

I ask because i a gorgeous female P. met i wouod love to breed to help feed these gorgeous T's into the hobby but havent the slightest clue about incubators an egg sac care.

I was wondering why i cant just breed her when she's rdy and i locate a MM and let her keep the sac till it hatches and collect up the babies???
From what I've gathered, pulling the sac and incubating increases the survival rate therefore more babies.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
@Abyss its not as easy as getting a male and female and breeding them. There's a lot more involved. Female has to be mature and of the right size as well as in the right time in her molt cycle. Then seasonal changes still have to be simulated for many species. They don't just lay sacs anytime of the year. There's a lot of information and experience you need to have before jumping into breeding tarantulas. It really bothers me when people have been keeping Ts for about a year and think they have the experience to keep certain species or start breeding. Even if you read a lot on Ts you still haven't acquired the hands on experience one needs. I'm not saying you but keepers in general should hold off on that stuff until they have gained the experience they need. After all these are live animals and many if not most are endangered. We only have so many genetics in the hobby at this point. If not done thoughtfully we could loose many species altogether.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not just with breeding, but with literally any aspect of this hobby, what happens in nature is irrelevant. In nature, they're not kept in small glass boxes and fed high quality meals regularly. About the only thing that does matter is what @Blue Jaye brought up with seasonal changes in breeding.

My go-to example is the picture of an Aphonopelma that made a burrow in a pile of cedar chips. Cedar chips are natural pesticides.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
@Abyss its not as easy as getting a male and female and breeding them. There's a lot more involved. Female has to be mature and of the right size as well as in the right time in her molt cycle. Then seasonal changes still have to be simulated for many species. They don't just lay sacs anytime of the year. There's a lot of information and experience you need to have before jumping into breeding tarantulas. It really bothers me when people have been keeping Ts for about a year and think they have the experience to keep certain species or start breeding. Even if you read a lot on Ts you still haven't acquired the hands on experience one needs. I'm not saying you but keepers in general should hold off on that stuff until they have gained the experience they need. After all these are live animals and many if not most are endangered. We only have so many genetics in the hobby at this point. If not done thoughtfully we could loose many species altogether.
To start i agree and am not sure where u got i have been keeping T's for a year an wanna jump into breeding........ try 20+ years and have yet to decide anything about breeding. I should have mentioned here as i did in a dif post but i have done 0 research as of yet and have 0 breeding experience (this is why am starting to ask wuestions)

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
To start i agree and am not sure where u got i have been keeping T's for a year an wanna jump into breeding........ try 20+ years and have yet to decide anything about breeding. I should have mentioned here as i did in a dif post but i have done 0 research as of yet and have 0 breeding experience (this is why am starting to ask wuestions)
@Abyss as I stated in my post I'm not saying you but keepers in general. I was not poking at you in any way. I have been seeing a lot of new keepers jumping into breeding was what I ment. My apologies if it came off the wrong way. I do realize you are trying to get information. And that's why I said there is a lot to do to prepare for breeding.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
@Abyss as I stated in my post I'm not saying you but keepers in general. I was not poking at you in any way. I have been seeing a lot of new keepers jumping into breeding was what I ment. My apologies if it came off the wrong way. I do realize you are trying to get information. And that's why I said there is a lot to do to prepare for breeding.
Agreed i reread an missed that haha. You didnt come off wrong pal, i misread :)

No worries at all