P. metallica price

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was at a reptile store the other day looking to buy a new spider, and came across a P. metallica spiderling (about an inch long at most) that they were selling for $500cad. They are beautiful spiders IMO, and I have never been able to find one before. Is this a ridiculous price, or a good deal? thanks.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Go to one of the online dealers such as www.botarby8s.com , or Spidershoppe and you will find them a bit cheaper than that. They werent that high when they first came over here about 2 years ago.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
That seems a bit on the high side. in the US the go for roughly $350-$400 cdn (based on most recent exchange rate)

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's probably about the price you might expect to find them in a pet store, though it's amazing that a pet store would even have one on display. They are about $300 U.S. from a dealer, so considering there is considerable mark-up in pet stores from dealer prices, that's not unexpected. But if you want to buy one, it's much safer and cheaper to go through a private dealer.

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The store I went to is actaully pretty good, they get their T's from dealers in the area, and they told me that thye could get pretty much any species within about 24 hours. So considering the fact that they are from private dealers, I think I might start doing regular business with that place.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
MindUtopia said:
That's probably about the price you might expect to find them in a pet store, though it's amazing that a pet store would even have one on display. They are about $300 U.S. from a dealer, so considering there is considerable mark-up in pet stores from dealer prices, that's not unexpected. But if you want to buy one, it's much safer and cheaper to go through a private dealer.
$300 from A dealer doesnt make it the best price..Right now someone is offering them stateside for about 25% cheaper !!!
Tony

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fierce Deity said:
The store I went to is actaully pretty good, they get their T's from dealers in the area, and they told me that thye could get pretty much any species within about 24 hours. So considering the fact that they are from private dealers, I think I might start doing regular business with that place.
Or you can go thru the dealers yourself and save $$$$

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah that is probably the better way to do it, but I am a bit new in the hobby and don't really know how to find dealers in the area. Chances are there aren't many here in Burlington, Ontario.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Fierce, search for threads on how to gain access to the canadian section of this site. I believe there is one person in canada located in quebec that is considered the top invert guy and has all sorts of stuff likely Pmets included. I'm sure he has a better deal then that.

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know of one dealer (I'm sure most of you know who I'm talking about) who has them for $220 USD.
As much as I like P. metallica, I have no problem waiting a year for the price to drop. As quickly as this species is gaining popularity it's bound to happen.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RVS said:
I know of one dealer (I'm sure most of you know who I'm talking about) who has them for $220 USD.
As much as I like P. metallica, I have no problem waiting a year for the price to drop. As quickly as this species is gaining popularity it's bound to happen.
I wouldn't count on a dramatic decrease that soon. The P. metallica's as well as the P. Tigris SP are still very rare. As popularity increases so does demand and if there are not enough to go around they could end up fetching a higher price. There is only one successful breeder in the U.S. and not all of the first sac survived. There is still a luck factor involved with breeding. The rest are all imported one egg sac at a time. The last shipment that made it to the states was less than 100 P. metallica slings and you can bet alot of dealers have held some over for themselves for breeding stock.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just purchased one for the $220 price tag. Its being shipped Wed. and personally I cant wait (it was a birthday gift but i would have paid it myself this summer from my job if they were still around at all)

But its up to you, i know people who dont like them really at all. I also suggest an onlnine dealer they are all great.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fierce Deity said:
...but I am a bit new in the hobby and...
Are U sure about P. metallica? :?

They are not beginner Ts!!! :embarrassed:

I know they are very attractive but...
-they have active venom.
-are very fast.
-are very very expenive.

I dont know what is your experience with TS but..

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Actually there are two dealers selling them for $375 right now in Canada.

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Icelos said:
I wouldn't count on a dramatic decrease that soon. The P. metallica's as well as the P. Tigris SP are still very rare. As popularity increases so does demand and if there are not enough to go around they could end up fetching a higher price. There is only one successful breeder in the U.S. and not all of the first sac survived. There is still a luck factor involved with breeding. The rest are all imported one egg sac at a time. The last shipment that made it to the states was less than 100 P. metallica slings and you can bet alot of dealers have held some over for themselves for breeding stock.
Well, regardless, I'll wait for the price to drop (however long that will be).
I actually think P. metallica is fairly overrated myself, if I had that kind of money to spend on T's I'd get Xenesthis sp.'s.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
from BRAZIL said:
Are U sure about P. metallica? :?

They are not beginner Ts!!! :embarrassed:

I know they are very attractive but...
-they have active venom.
-are very fast.
-are very very expenive.

I dont know what is your experience with TS but..
I know this topic has been covered frontwards and backwards and about any other way here but I still dont really think a Pokie has to be only for some "advanced" keeper. One of my first Ts was a Pokie. I do know what you are say though as far as price but if someone new to keeping Ts has that much $$ to blow then I say go for it.

dragyn5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I know this topic has been covered frontwards and backwards and about any other way here but I still dont really think a Pokie has to be only for some "advanced" keeper. One of my first Ts was a Pokie. I do know what you are say though as far as price but if someone new to keeping Ts has that much $$ to blow then I say go for it.
One of my first was a H. maculata, Star is actually fairly shy and easy to work with. My biggest problem is paying $200-$300 for a 1 inch sling. Knock on wood, we have only lost one of ours so far, but that would just kick me right in the bank account if I lost one for that price. I have a hard time buying anything over $150.00 and for that price it needs to be over 2 inches.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
dragyn5 said:
One of my first was a H. maculata, Star is actually fairly shy and easy to work with. My biggest problem is paying $200-$300 for a 1 inch sling. Knock on wood, we have only lost one of ours so far, but that would just kick me right in the bank account if I lost one for that price. I have a hard time buying anything over $150.00 and for that price it needs to be over 2 inches.
I feel confident that Heidi will do just fine with a Pokie. My question is, where in SoCal did you find a pet store that is selling P. metallica?:eek: IF you can wait, which I doubt that you can (;) ) the price has steadily decreased as more are being bred in captivity.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Going purely on the logic of a supply-and-demand society, I don't see the price on P. metallica coming down drastically any time soon. They will always be a "high-end" spider in my opinion due to the clutch size of the genus, the desirability and the above average effort it takes to propogate the species. I think they will come down in price, but you won't see them for $20 a pop in a couple of years either.

Anyone who is familiar with the Ball Python market will understand what I'm talking about.