P metallica never refuses food

Ebourne

Arachnopeon
New here and new to the hobby... that said i have a 4 inch p metallica. After all the research over the last 2 years my wife has approved the addition to our home. The beautiful coloring helped to stave off her cringing.

She arrived a few weeks ago and with the breeders suggestion was fed shortly after being released into her new enclosure. Within an hour of adding a large cricket she was seen enjoying her first meal. Since she has eaten almost every day. I expected her to refuse when she was no longer hungry. Didnt expect to see her as active after reading so much about them being picky and scarce to see.(guessing my issue is more favorable then that). She has taken a horn worm directly from tongues mid day after being spotted at the entrance of her hide.

She is by no means fat yet but have decided to slow down to once every three days. Is this a good plan or should i be feeding her until she refuses?.

Probably a noob question but want her to have a long healthy life.

Her hide is placed in the back left corner. Black cardboard is set over the side to check her home if needed. (Through the glass)Water dish filled cleaned every other day. Humidity 72 75 percent consistent and monitored. No lighting added but no direct sunlight.

Thoughts?

Enclusure 12 by 12 by 18. Image below
P metallica with horn warm from the first and only tongue feeding.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
feed a LOT less....even every 3 days is an absurd amount of food....there is no benefit to such frequent feeding, in fact it will eventually lead to a long period of fasting and lethergy.

A better feeding schedule would be once every 7-14 days.

It sounds like she had molted shortly before you recieved it, as all ts eat like that post molt.

Ebourne

Arachnopeon
feed a LOT less....even every 3 days is an absurd amount of food....there is no benefit to such frequently, in fact it will eventually lead to a long period of fasting and lethergy.

A better feeding schedule would be once every 7-14 days.

It sounds like she had molted shortly before you recieved it, as all ts eat like that post molt.
Thank you sir much appreciated

JayManges

Arachnopeon
New here and new to the hobby... that said i have a 4 inch p metallica. After all the research over the last 2 years my wife has approved the addition to our home. The beautiful coloring helped to stave off her cringing.

She arrived a few weeks ago and with the breeders suggestion was fed shortly after being released into her new enclosure. Within an hour of adding a large cricket she was seen enjoying her first meal. Since she has eaten almost every day. I expected her to refuse when she was no longer hungry. Didnt expect to see her as active after reading so much about them being picky and scarce to see.(guessing my issue is more favorable then that). She has taken a horn worm directly from tongues mid day after being spotted at the entrance of her hide.

She is by no means fat yet but have decided to slow down to once every three days. Is this a good plan or should i be feeding her until she refuses?.

Probably a noob question but want her to have a long healthy life.

Her hide is placed in the back left corner. Black cardboard is set over the side to check her home if needed. (Through the glass)Water dish filled cleaned every other day. Humidity 72 75 percent consistent and monitored. No lighting added but no direct sunlight.

Thoughts?

Enclusure 12 by 12 by 18. Image below
P metallica with horn warm from the first and only tongue feeding.
i love that Buddha statue with the bowl. Could you please tell me where you found it?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, as above, you're feeding way too often, once a fortnight is plenty for this species at that size.

JayManges

Arachnopeon
Canada eh? Anyhow, I place a Buddha in all my display enclosures. Yours is really cool so I had to ask.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks fine in there. I don’t put statues in mine- takes up too much space- prefer T to have maximum space possible - esp fast species

Feeding - some species I feed often, some not, depends on their metabolism, and age.

Some species eat a lot due to metabolism.